Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None

Proposed Kite Ban Lagoon City

Postby irwe » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:27 pm

If you are a Kiter at Lagoon City ON please contact me as to how to best approach the Town Council to discuss the proposed Kiteboarding ban for Lagoon City Beach.

One of my patients is on Town Council and he knows I am an avid Kiteboarder.

If you are not proactive we will loose this popular site.

I was successful creating a Kite beach with another Town Council about 15 km away which has had zero kiteboarding complaints in the last 5 years.

Regards,
Ian
These users thanked the author irwe for the post:
Andrey F (Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:53 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Proposed Kite Ban Lagoon City

Postby Toby » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:04 pm

Great you are taking care of this, your local kiters can be really thankful!

Good luck for all 👍🏻

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:51 pm

What is the reasoning for the proposed ban? Injures, wildlife, conflict with other user groups ?

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:23 pm

madworld wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:51 pm
What is the reasoning for the proposed ban? Injures, wildlife, conflict with other user groups ?
If I was to speculate....
I am not sure what the problem is as I do not kite there but I know there are two beaches one on either side of the channel that have "Private Beach Access" this means that residence of the area are allowed to use the beach... this will likely be a similar arrangement to the beach where I live, such that the beach was purchased by an association and in return for no property taxes the association allows all residence of the local municipality to use the beach... my guess is that there is a stream of kiters coming from the Greater Toronto Area and using the beach as if it was public, likely using up all the parking spots or just parking illegally, there will likely be no public washrooms so there will be some public urination, and generally the locals don't like non locals taking up the space.

Access 1 (if memory serves me correctly there are overhead wires here to keep the geese and seagulls off the beach)
https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.5512407, ... 312!8i6656

Access 2
https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.5494001, ... 312!8i6656

jorg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Toronto, ON
Style: Big Air
Gear: Ten Velox, XR, Ozone Edge

Postby jorg » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:05 pm

Here is the main reason
https://ramara.civicweb.net/document/7676/WD-36-18 Parks Use Bylaw and The Steps Beach.pdf

abz
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby abz » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:21 pm

Hi Lagoon Kiters

As a volunteer OKA rep of many years in Lagoon area I attended Monday's meeting with Ramara council regarding Parks use bylaw 8.2 proposed changes

Presentation was well received and bylaw 8.2 proposed changes have been held off for further review in the spring...specifily Steps launch issues and swim only proposal that would effect kiting

Will work with council this spring to establish continued access for all

I would like to thank all the local kiters for there ongoing support of signage @ Main Lagoon Beach ....self management goes a long way with council and beach goers alike.....LETS ALL WORK TOGETHER TO KEEP OUR BEACHES OPEN😎

Sooooo.......Van is almost packed and ready for another winter in Los Barriles Baja......SEE ALL IN THE SPRING

Paul

Ontario Kiteboarding Association

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:49 pm

jorg wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:05 pm
Here is the main reason
https://ramara.civicweb.net/document/7676/WD-36-18 Parks Use Bylaw and The Steps Beach.pdf
So page 7 of 22 says it all, one person is using the "public beach" as a school training area which pissed off a local resident...

Andrey F
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Favorite Beaches: Oliphant, ON
Style: All
Gear: Inflatable kites
Been thanked: 0

Postby Andrey F » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:52 pm

The ban is back. Seems like they have voted to disallow “loading and unloading of kite gear” in the township of Ramara.

mattaiken MYS NKB
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Toronto, ON. Canada
Style: Directional.Foil/Surf
Gear: North/Mystic
Brand Affiliation: North Kiteboarding - Mystic Boarding

Postby mattaiken MYS NKB » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:12 am

There's a lengthy thread on the Central Ontario Kiteboarding page on FB.

Summary:

Most access points in Ontario were closed a couple weeks ago ("reason" being COVID but in my mind more about locals trying to keep public spaces exclusive use by local population and using Covid as an excuse)

On a rare windy NW weekend estimated 90+ kiters descend on Lagoon City

Reported incident of a kite school double booked having a heated argument, witness reported to town officials (of course lessons aren't allowed on public spaces)

Kiteboarders reported to be riding in the boat launch area, jumping piers, etc

And reports of similar incidents reaching the town officials over the past few weeks.

Kiteboarding can't be banned as local authorities can't control what we do on the water. So the town is doing what a lot of municipalities are doing throughout Ontario which is to prohibit parking for non residents. And in this case they will add to that by bringing in a by law to prohibit setting up gear on the park property.

Ontario needs some active kiteboarders organizing. I ran the OKA for many years and will help, but we need a leader(s) to head this up.

Return to “Kitesurfing”