Pascale
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Splicing kite lines for beginners

Postby Pascale » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:49 pm

Hello everyone.

I started to get interested in splicing because this technique seems to me to have many applications in everyday life.
Knowing how to do a spliced eye on a rope is practical!

How many strands are on a typical kite line? I have an old set of Cabrinha lines at the cottage and would like to know what type of splice would be suitable for making a splice eye at the end or even try to reunite two parts of a kite line (that could be a practical skill on a kite vacation!). There are so many videos on different techniques that it got me confused: Brummel splice, Longbury etc etc.

Also, I saw that some use a guitar chord to splice, others use a microhook and others a splicing fid (see below).

Let's say I want to try my hand at splicing on my old set of lines and also on commercial rope like the ones one the pictures below, what kind of splicer should I use and what technique is appropriate to make an eye and to fix broken lines?

Thank you so much!
Attachments
fmk_micro_hook-1.jpg
33-003.jpg
33-003.jpg (67.87 KiB) Viewed 3647 times
s-l300.jpg
s-l300.jpg (16.71 KiB) Viewed 3647 times
images.jpg
images.jpg (7.96 KiB) Viewed 3647 times

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Splicing kite lines for beginners

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:48 pm

I've done line sets with 1.1mm dyneema, very slender. I used a guitar string, but would have appreciated something a bit stiffer if possible, it's a fine balance. The kiteline I've used was 12 strand, so good for a brummel or a long bury, I chose brummel.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:05 pm

Pascale wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:49 pm
....There are so many videos on different techniques that it got me confused: Brummel splice, Longbury etc etc.
On kitelines, leaders, depower lines, and bridle lines, I just bury and sew 2 lines of stitching about 1-3" long on a 9"long bury. If you use contrasting thread (white line with black thread) you can easily use a seam ripper to undo the splice and adjust for unbalanced stretching if you do not have a good pre-stretching technique. I also utilize the ease of undoing to replace sleeving on the loop. My method of sleeving only covers the loop part, not the splice where the return line is covered by the line coming up to the loop.

For bridal slider lines (where pulleys wear) I upsize the line to 1/8" and match the factory "tape/sew the tape/knot". No splicing here.

Pascale wrote:
Also, I saw that some use a guitar chord to splice, others use a microhook and others a splicing fid (see below).
I have that hook, but I like the guitar string way better. Actually, I use a piece of .030" stainless steel MIG welding wire. You can also find .023" in the same wire that would be slightly better for thin race lines.

Pascale wrote:
Let's say I want to try my hand at splicing on my old set of lines and also on commercial rope like the ones one the pictures below, what kind of splicer should I use and what technique is appropriate to make an eye and to fix broken lines?
I had access to a real fid set at work, so I took it and went to the store. There I matched the various sizes up against knitting needles. This got me a decent homemade fid set for about $15. You need to cut the ends off at an angle to match what the end of a fid set looks like, then sand smooth. But the anodized knitting needles are way smoother than a real fid set that has not been anodized. And since you get 2 knitting needles in a set, you can make one long and one short fid. The smaller size knitting needles are not hollow, so I just drill a hole in the back end to pull a a sleeve in with.

But for that pesky 7/64ths" bridal slide line, I use a piece of dacron line as a sheath to pull it in ahead of a special fid/slug.

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:09 pm

I might have misunderstood you but for the normal rope (three strands) in the bottom picture you don't need any tool unless maybe if it's really thick, say more than 2,5 cm diam. But that would just be to save your fingers - it gets a bit tiring after a few.

chibern
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SoCal
Style: Spastic
Gear: Anything

Postby chibern » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:41 pm

Has anyone used these? Either the threading needle or loop splicing needles?
http://www.charkbait.com/cs/cshL_Daho.htm

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:56 pm

chibern wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:41 pm
Should work fine. Bit expensive though for a 1-time job.

I use cheap baiting needles. You can get them at the local fishing store for a dollar, or look on Aliexpress.

Pascale
Medium Poster

Postby Pascale » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:35 pm

Faxie wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:56 pm
chibern wrote:

I use cheap baiting needles. You can get them at the local fishing store for a dollar, or look on Aliexpress.
Could you please post a picture?

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:24 pm

Pascale wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:35 pm
Faxie wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:56 pm
chibern wrote:

Could you please post a picture?
These kind of things:

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:21 pm

chibern wrote:
Wasting your money.

This is the stuff! And there is enough on that spool to supply everyone here with 4 wires for making even long splices.
http://www.airgas.com/product/Welding-P ... gL0OvD_BwE

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:52 pm

Those hook things are garbage. The gate o the hook catches in the fibres of kite line and make a mess.

For thin kite lines a guitar string is best. For thicker lines the D-splicer is excellent. https://d-splicer.com/

The D splicer scissors are also very good. They make cutting the line neatly very easy. https://d-splicer.com/d-16-scissors-2/

For quick and easy splices learn the Brummel splice. Learn both types (fixed and loose end). For accurate splicing the simple bury and sew is best.

It takes practice to get good at splicing.

Go here for instructions on any kind of splice. https://www.youtube.com/user/Premiumropes/videos

Return to “Kitesurfing”