Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Pain at the Elbow - Kiter's Elbow: Treatment & Prevention

Postby Toby » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:06 pm

Naishdude: in my case for sure high bar pressure.
But I need to feel the kite. Tested light bar pressure kites and doesn't work for me.

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:57 pm

Toby, get some of that old "fingerspitzen gefuhl" hahaha

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:02 pm

Remove cause. Cause is riding with bar too close in unergonomic position. Use bar with longer travel a trim kite so you ride on almost straight arms.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:14 pm

I have this tomtom. Plus always nicely powered....so mostly riding on the stopper.
Can't imagine riding all time without and always holding...nightmare.

Wind Runner
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, Indian Beach, Bogue Sound, Cape Lookout, all in NC
Style: Back and forth
Gear: Slingshot Rally 7, 9, Switch Nano 12, Slingshot Turbine 15
Misfit 136, 146
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140, 150
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Wind Runner » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:12 pm

pj sofine wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:53 pm
Suffered for 10 months, tried everything but injections and surgery, nothing helped immediately. Did loads of research and time was the ultimate healer. Haven't had a problem in 5 years, very strange. Very frustrating condition. Even hired a massage therapist ! Taught me all the pressure points to massage.
Same here! I had it pretty bad for a while, but eventually it just went away. I did massage the tendons and muscles in the area quite a bit though. I also think it's strange how it went away mostly on it's own.

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:17 pm

3 main nerves (ulnare radiale mediano)go from hand to the back passing through 2 delicate joint, wrist and elbow.
we feel the pain at these point but the cause is a tension of these nerves in the upper back between scapola.
deep hard massage at those (someone calls trigger point) nerves in the back is the only solution.
anything else is a waste of time and money.
streching ,towel ,theraband,long bar ,short,relax ....foolishness ,sometime seem to work properly but but is the tension in the back that releases a little.
it is chinese point of wiew that is 2000 years ahead of western therapist that were born no more than 150 years ago.
thomas meyer " anathomy trains" is the best we could read and learn with.
another solution could be massage ball ...yoga tune up.....we could do ourself the treatment but is needed to know what to do where and how. not easy not difficult .....
we have to think and learn to prevent the butchers touch our boby or make damage !!!!!!

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:46 pm

piccio wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:17 pm
3 main nerves (ulnare radiale mediano)go from hand to the back passing through 2 delicate joint, wrist and elbow.
we feel the pain at these point but the cause is a tension of these nerves in the upper back between scapola.
deep hard massage at those (someone calls trigger point) nerves in the back is the only solution.
streching ,towel ,theraband,long bar ,short,relax ....foolishness ,sometime seem to work properly but but is the tension in the back that releases a little.
it is chinese point of wiew that is 2000 years ahead of western therapist that were born no more than 150 years ago.
thomas meyer " anathomy trains" is the best we could read and learn with.
another solution could be massage ball ...yoga tune up.....we could do ourself the treatment but is needed to know what to do where and how. not easy not difficult .....
we have to think and learn to prevent the butchers touch our boby or make damage !!!!!!
This is complete nonsense and a disservice to people suffering from this condition. Tennis elbow/kiter elbow is lateral epicondylitis. It has nothing to do with what piccio is writing above. The pathophysiology and treatment is very well understood and accepted. Rest, stretching, strengthening (including Therabar) and tissue manipulation all work. The videos on this thread are generally good. Please ignore picco's advice.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:50 pm

piccio wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:17 pm
Do you have an illustration of where exactly those are ?

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:10 pm

I’ve had this on and off for past 8 years or so. Worst thing for mine is stand up paddling and chainsawing. But it flares up with kite sessions where there’s excessive working the kite – such as high winds, small kite, riding toeside (surfboard or foil), where the kite is blasting against one arm. A good long session of that, and I feel it. Kites with strong bar pressure immediately bring it on too.

I tried all the exercises and gizmos with limited success. I even bought a home ultrasound. I think what ultimately faded it was less stand up paddling.

At risk of seeming like one of those miracle cure types, I was also taking Recovery at the same time it faded. I remain unsure if it was coincidence or if it actually helped. This supplement is mainly aimed at dogs and horses; it works well for old dogs with joint pain. [their website description: “decreases trauma from chronic lameness” …. Haha, that sounds like me!] http://recoverysa.com/what-is-recovery-sa
I would put this in the category of “can’t hurt / try everything”, to be done in concert with the exercises and massage therapy. Similarly, a friend got a cortisone shot, says it went away immediately. Update: 2 years later...tennis elbow is back, the Recovery didn't miracle cure it this time, science method says it was a fluke....so back to stretching and theraband.

Good luck!
Last edited by juandesooka on Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:23 pm

There are nerves running from the lower neck/upper back through the brachioplexus into the arm. Also very well understood and accepted. Thoracic outlet, Multiple impingement, etc. Get any anatomy book and look up nerve, brachioplexus and follow it down into the arm.
I am not saying this is what the problem is, just that it is occasionally a complicating factor not to be overlooked. The problem, in my experience, yours may vary, comes from muscle imbalances in the arm causing misuse of the joint. Not so much overuse but inappropriate use. Sometimes the muscles themselves are the underlying problem, sometimes it is the facia, sometimes it is the nerves, sometimes it is the tendon attachment to the bone or the muscle tendon junction, sometimes it a very poor diet that doesn’t allow healing. find someone who can evaluate YOU and see what the problem actually is. Makes it much easier to fix.

Return to “Kitesurfing”