8/5 A Roam
18/12 soul 11/9 av8
15/9 s3
ha725/195
ML B3
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Harness with Sliding spreader bar

Postby DAnderson » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:03 pm

I had the rope snap on my Dynabar. Replaced w/ 5mm upgraded line & 8,900# line has held up much better.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/new-engl ... e=11633112

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:21 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:59 am
Replace your rope often! And don't buy the Ride Engine replacement -- it's the same foot long piece of dyneema you get at the boat store.
One more thing to add to this: if you have dynabar, their replacement rope is maybe worth a little extra money. They have braided a loop in one end (which activates the pin quick release for the rope) and then bury the tail of the braid across the entire length of the rope. So their rope feels quite a bit "beefier", in effect it is two strands of dyneema in one.

kiteswede
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Göteborg
Gear: F-one kite

Postby kiteswede » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:35 pm

my only concern wiht the slider bar, is the rope snapping. Seems like this happens quite a bit.

Any thoughts?
[/quote]

Manera got two ropes in their bar. And you change them when they start to wear out. :)

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:05 pm

Well, I can only speak for my RideEngine harness. I have replaced the rope two or three times...you just pay attention and replace when necessary. Ordinary 6 mm Dyneema...not too expensive.

If breaking it really worries you, you can use a secondary rope. Howz depends on your harness of choice.

Wind Runner
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Emerald Isle, Indian Beach, Bogue Sound, Cape Lookout, all in NC
Style: Back and forth
Gear: Slingshot Rally 7, 9, Switch Nano 12, Slingshot Turbine 15
Misfit 136, 146
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140, 150

Postby Wind Runner » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:57 pm

I used the SS Talon on my slider bar for the first time 2 weeks ago and so far think it's awesome. It brings the bar a lot closer than having a long chicken loop stretched out which avoids reach problems, especially when getting overpowered and trying to sheet out... we've all seen people trying to stretch and lean as much as possible to dump power, and with this set-up it's easy. I also feel like I can lean back into my harness more without stretching to reach the bar while riding. Here's a pic of how it looks...
Attachments
GOPR0218_Moment.jpg
These users thanked the author Wind Runner for the post:
granit02 (Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:51 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite

Postby Alysum » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:24 am

I have the Dakine Nitrous shorts and I run my own line with a shackle. I use it for strapless but use the hook for foil and strong winds. I've had the rope and also the chicken loop snap...

I need to replace my old shorts and I can only get the Ion B2 shorts. Unfortunately it's not possible to rig my own slider rope, so looking for recommendations on how to have both the hook and rope.

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity
Has thanked: 0

Postby mr_daruman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:54 am

Sliding rope is great when riding toeside, enable easier movement.
Instead of the thin rope rings provided I like to replace with a wide non abrasive ring used for boat ropes.

In case the rope snaps ( in 3 years, happened 1 time because a a bad knot) I always tie below a second « emergency » rope just incase (works very easy with ride engine harnesses)
Or have a second short leash tied to the back of the harness ready to quickly clip to the front using rings I have on both sides of the straps.
1B9C92AA-1FB5-408B-AB0F-D198CCF84790.jpeg

daminou
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ocean Beach, San Francisco
Favorite Beaches: Waddell Creek, CA
Kanaha Maui
Style: Wave
Gear: SST
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby daminou » Sat May 18, 2019 8:10 pm

Onda wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:51 am
Best I´ve ever experienced is:
Carbon spreader bar (rideengine 2016 model) with rope plus a Ronstan Orbit 20 block connected to a Cabrinha Fireball Bar´s QR (without the original Fireball piece).
Totally friction-less, super-smooth movement with minimal distance between the rope and the quick release. You don´t even notice that something is sliding along the rope.
Very simple setup with hardly any metal parts that can fail / corrode.

Before I used a conventional PU chicken loop directly connected to the rope. Fine at the beginning. But the PU material becomes "rough" after some hours of use, resulting in "sticking" on the rope and very uncomfortable jerking movement along the rope. Not good.

Doesn´t matter which harness, actually. As long as you can knot in a rope somewhere at two points.
I am really interested in the Cabrinha Fireball Bars QR (without the original Fireball piece). My concern of is that it would be impossible to put back in the water to relaunch after you release (when the kite falls in the waves). What do you think? Are you able to relaunch after you release? It is doable with a regular chicken loop and I find it quite convenient.

I am thinking there is actually the exact same problem with the Fireball setup.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun May 19, 2019 2:42 am

How often does that happen? If it’s just rarely, bring a carabiner and use it just to get back to shore and reset. If it’s all the time, what are you doing?

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Mon May 20, 2019 2:46 am

Here is the new 2019 Ion rope spreader bar. It is clean and simple and has an adjustable rope. I am using it with my Dakine harness and it works well.

:wink: CG
IMG_2066.jpg
IMG_2066.jpg (45.02 KiB) Viewed 1538 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”