High Pressure kite by Bruno Legaignoux

Forum for kitesurfers
james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Re: High Pressure kite by Bruno Legaignoux

Postby james » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:52 pm

Or remove the cost of licences that people charge brands?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:28 pm

james wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:52 pm
You have an idea and went thru the costly process of patent it, you should be making profits.

All of you would want this too.

And it's great that Bruno and his brother were able to make money of it. Was it 20 USD per kite? That's fine at least for me.

Will always be thankful for your great idea Bruno. Kitesurfing made many lives better. Worth the extra money!

But, really appreciate you are giving back to the sport by publishing your new idea for free.

You are just a great person who can be proud of yourself 👍

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:11 pm

Yes...thanku for my kite life...hope u become multimilionair soon

brunolgx
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby brunolgx » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:41 pm

james wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:52 pm
Ahahah you are perfectly right. I forgot this one. This is exactly what I am doing with the HP kite : working for free !
But do you think it fair to give it for free to the brands when you are young, spent 13 years of your life working on an idea while losing money, launched the sport by settling the first brand and showing the path to the brands ?
If so, explain me why IP protection exists.

Chicken-loop
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 100kg
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 2019 Naish Pivot 8m
2020 Naish Pivot 10m
2021 Naish Boxer 14m
2018 North Nugget 5.3
2021 Duotone Fish SLS 5.5
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Chicken-loop » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:08 pm

I for one am happy to pay a license fee of $20 a kite when I consider the enjoyment it gives me.

Kite construction and performance has improved since I started 14 years ago. The materials and overall finish of the products is what impresses me the most. Yes they are expensive, however I don’t see anyone getting rich out of selling equipment for fringe sport.

I look forward to seeing the end result of the high pressure kite prototypes.

Bruno.. thank you for everything you have done for the sport. You have invented a medicine that gives me a zest for life. I’ll raise a beer to you after my next kite, and have Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Cheers,

Chicken-loop

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:12 am

Chicken-loop wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:08 pm
I for one am happy to pay a license fee of $20 a kite when I consider the enjoyment it gives me.
Hmmmm......... Give money to the actual inventor of a concept? Nah... I'd rather give my money to the soulless (not entirely, or, maybe entirely) COREporation who is paying lawyers tons of money to get around patent's so they do not have to pay the original inventor. The inventor does not really matter. It's the COREporations that come up with the cool brand names and set the trendy-trendy-trends that I have to follow. - please note this is sarcasm

Chicken-loop wrote:
Kite construction and performance has improved since I started 14 years ago. The materials and overall finish of the products is what impresses me the most.
"Credit where credit is due" to the COREporations who would not exist without the free market system. Those COREporations do make a portion of the positive strides in development of a concept. But, mostly just hype, and bad mouthing competition.........which is why they exist in the first place.......ironic?

Chicken-loop wrote:
Bruno.. thank you for everything you have done for the sport.
I second that. Bruno, you are why I live in a van and enjoy it.

james
Very Frequent Poster

Postby james » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:32 am

Jeez you guys get triggered easily...

Bruno made a point about reducing costs and listed many ways to do so. I simply make the point that over the years the licence fees for 5th line (north)push away QR (Naish), one pump ( slingshot) iron heart (North) etc
Have all contributed to increased costs many times over thier initial investment and development.

The delta thing from Fone? Raph, let others use it with no fee, Naish with the geotech design refused to share unless paid, they pursued Blade kites and stopped thier version. proof that design and IP can be shared without the fee, it’s fair to say Fone won that battle.

Yes people have invested time and money, yes they want a return on it but you can’t have it both ways. Kiteboarding is a business pure and simple, everyone wants thier piece before it gets to the customer so if you were really wanting to change things you have to include the licences and thier charges.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:48 pm

There are way less younger riders than there used to be. The average age has risen considerably. A more affordable manufacturing method will go towards addressing that problem.

IP in kiteboarding is often exchanged amongst the top brands, not billed, adding nothing to cost. Not so easy for smaller brands like that.u

Industry marketing $ clearly influences. IMO industry has chosen to target the affluent in recent times compared to previous.

That is down to corporate involvement imo. Shortsighted, non kiteboarding share holdings, non grassroots, focused only on short term profit.. hey that can be business.

Like mentioned, it didnt work out for windsurfing did it, sure there are windsurfers still, they are just the same ones from the 1990s enjoying it with no new generations... shortsighted.

The focus on performance is so clearly not needed for most kiters and even at the top level in wave riding and freestyle nothing has happened in 10 years + that gives any competitive advantage as far as kit is concerned.

I love that kiting is such high performance without all the current bull5hit technical upselling for affluent middle aged men. Unfortunately low life$ are involved in kiting today.

International Kookboarding Association, Global Kookboarding Association, World Kookboarding Championships, paid subcontractors to World Sailing - the ultimate Kite Kooks ! lol

Weight of the leading edge really makes kites feel very different in loading up imo so be interesting to see effects of HPK

Support Youth Kiteboarding. Support by Kiteboarders for Kiteboarders from the very top down. Support grass roots Kiteboarding.

swimmer
Medium Poster
Style: TRICKS
Gear: Liquid Force, Cabrinha, Best

Postby swimmer » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:04 pm

People think kiteboarding is expensive... :lol: :lol:

If you are buying brand new current year gear and complaining about the costs you need to get you head straight. First of all if it's a new current model then duh it will cost more, that is the price you pay for riding a crispy kite with the newest tech. If people want cheaper they need do their research and look for deals. New old year models are often 15-40% off and used gear can be even cheaper.

The same deal goes for all goods like phones, cars, computers, etc... when the newest iphone comes out expect to pay the full sticker price to own one.

Here in the USA the used market is littered with cheap low mileage equipment. I can find 2 kites, bar, board, and harness (5years or newer) for under 1500USD pretty easy. For comparison a good road bike starts around 1500 USD.

It's also important to not forget monetary inflation when considering price. Best's 2006 Waroo started at 400usd (i am assuming it was for a 5m kite). 400 USD in 2006 is roughly equivalent to 500 USD today.
500 USD today can still can buy a new 2016-2018 small kite and so when you take inflation into account, equipment 'pricing' had little to no increase in +10years.
Attachments
warroo.JPG

james
Very Frequent Poster

Postby james » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:16 pm

Also if you are going to design a new sport, sell the licence to a bunch of manufacturers to do with as they please in return for the money they just gave you, it’s a bit much to then sit there and point the finger of blame for high costs at the people that paid you.

Blaming thier distribution models when they are an already established network is frankly taking the piss.

If you didn’t like how they distribute and the costs associated with it then dont sell them the licence.

Saying you are working with two brands on the HP product, I hope to Hell they are factory direct or you are as complicit in the high costs as the brands you complain about.
These users thanked the author james for the post:
snowycreek (Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:52 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”