Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: High Pressure kite by Bruno Legaignoux

Postby tilmann » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:16 pm

spritrig wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:40 am

That means the bending moment goes up with the cube of the radius, but only linearly with the pressure. Lots of stiffness with radius or diameter, but less for pressure.
supports my feeling that 5 cm diameter is not enough. But as I said before: A 6 m HP-Rally with 10 cm diameter would make me totally happy already. :thumb:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:28 pm

What diameter did the Best Hellfish have back then?

JakeFarley
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Old fart style
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:06 pm

My HP Nemisis is an example where higher pressures are needed for kites with smaller dia. leading edges. If I do not pump up the LE enough, it tends to "jellyfish" in high winds. It has a small dia. LE made of Cuben fiber. I pump it up so that it is very hard and pings when I thump it.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: ford lake Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:49 pm

Toby wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:28 pm
About half I think. But half the diameter would mean 1/4 of the volume because the area of a cylinder with a fixed lengths goes as pi r^2 and you would need 4 times the pressure for the same stiffness.

a99
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Baltic sea
Gear: North, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon laluz.

Postby a99 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:16 pm

Real future of kiteboarding is personal kite drone, draging you in zero wind. Also filming you in self mode and etc.
This will come, next 10-20 years with imporovement of batteries and probably with solar battery possibility too:) And as it will costs event 3000-4000 usd you will buy it much lovely than thre kites of different sizes :) and you dont need to care about new kite upgreads and etc, no pumps, no danger in launches and etc. Bright future coming quickly :)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish north cwb burton ronix rpm ozone

Postby edt » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:23 pm

That's not kiteboarding that's wakeboarding. Not for me. I also like regular skateboards and think the motorized electric skateboards are like being on a motorized wheelchair. Give me the wind and a kite tks. You can buy a winch right now for about $2,000 that allows you access to all kinds of awesome ponds and streams if you want to wakeboard, it's more cost effective than a drone and will run all day, again not like a drone which is going to need to be recharged every 30 minutes unless battery technology makes a huge leap. Drone-ing is super cool right now I think but only because it's new, once the novelty wears off everyone that is using a drone will go back to winching.

IainMacaskill
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Calshot, Hillhead, Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: Reef, Uig, Isle of Lewis
Style: Hoon
Gear: Airush, Core, Storm, Gong Kite, Zeeko & Shinn
Brand Affiliation: Highland Park

Postby IainMacaskill » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:33 pm

a99 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:16 pm
Real future of kiteboarding is personal kite drone, draging you in zero wind. Also filming you in self mode and etc.
This will come, next 10-20 years with imporovement of batteries and probably with solar battery possibility too:) And as it will costs event 3000-4000 usd you will buy it much lovely than thre kites of different sizes :) and you dont need to care about new kite upgreads and etc, no pumps, no danger in launches and etc. Bright future coming quickly :)
Can't say I'm looking forward to replacing the sound of foiling with four props buzzing away like a massive swarm. You might as well just buy a jet ski and sell your soul to Satan.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:53 pm

edt wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:49 pm
Toby wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:28 pm
About half I think. But half the diameter would mean 1/4 of the volume because the area of a cylinder with a fixed lengths goes as pi r^2 and you would need 4 times the pressure for the same stiffness.
More. In general if diameter of a beam is halved stiffness is reduced to 1/2^3 = 1/8 of original.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:05 pm

Agree fully with edt and IainMacaskill, we dont want or need "wakeboarding" which is a totally different sport, far away from the wind powered lovely sport we got.

There is a reason why so few do both - some freestylers yes, but overall not many.

So bring it on, every new type of kite is interesting, lets see where it leads us - as long as we can use the wind, both 5 knots for extreme foiling, or 35 knots for TT megaloops, loving it all :thumb:

8) Peter

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:16 pm

kitexpert wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:53 pm

More. In general if diameter of a beam is halved stiffness is reduced to 1/2^3 = 1/8 of original.
where are you getting that cube from? the axial stress is proportional to the square of the radius right?

Return to “Kitesurfing”