Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Will we see the first foil kite at King of the Air 2019?

Forum for kitesurfers
JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Will we see the first foil kite at King of the Air 2019?

Postby JakeFarley » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:23 pm

Is hang time a factor in judging the competition? How do the foil kites compare in that regard? I know with my 21m Speed5 my hang time is twice as long as with any of my LEIs.

Many, many years ago B.K. (before kiting), a couple of girls representing Red Bull came to the local windsurfing spot with a car that had a cooler where the trunk would be filled up with Red Bull. They were giving out free samples, so, I tried one. Was the worst tasting stuff I have ever had. Had heartburn after drinking only 1/2 the can. Never tried it again. Maybe it has improved somewhat - don't know.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:38 pm

I love the taste of red bull but try to stay away doesn't seem healthy to be drinking that much taurine. Coffee will keep you awake just as well. You can definitely taste the caffeine in a red bull that's what makes it taste so good.

PinkNorthPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius
Silver Sands Barbados
Nyali Kenya
Dougs the Gorge
Style: Lawn Mowing
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: North, Maybe Core next...

Postby PinkNorthPride » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:45 pm

That Ollie Bridge.. we have a saying about riders like him.. Born in bed with a woman and never got over the shock. That Red Bull, many years ago in another windsurfer lifetime they came over to treasure Island, a couple of girls in a Suzuki Jeep with a giant can in the back, the marketing guy was an ex North rep, we were holding the North One Hour classic, nobody liked the stuff, how can we get them to drink it he said.. I'll sort it said I, it needs spicing up a bit.. use it as a mixer with Vodka.. and so Vodka Red Bull was born, everybody drank it and have been ever since... And you have me to thank for it. ;-)

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Inflatables

Postby Pump me up » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:04 pm

What a disastrous advertisement for ram airs!! Check out the ram air kite collapsing and deforming between 28s -> 34s. This could've easily ended in tears, injuring the rider and/or the windsurfers. It really emphasises the inherent dangerousness and instability of ram airs: because of excessive kite drag, the rider boosted while his kite was still deep in the window, causing him to pendulum under the kite. Then, because the ram air kite is soft and floppy, it collapsed and then partially re-expanded in the middle of the wind window; it then fell to the water in a completely uncontrolled manner. It was only luck that prevented a windsurfer from being in the line of fire.

Ignore the lies. Ram airs are inferior vs inflatables.

:pump:

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pump me up » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:06 pm

PS: Thanks Kitexpert: your video has been added to the standard dissertation.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:28 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:33 am
Kiteboarding has become an embarra$ment, $3000 kites and showing off your made up jump heights
The Soul 6m is only $1500 USD, 8m is $1600 USD.

Just because they cost $3000 for 18m versions doesn't mean they all cost that much.

PS. I love the taste and effect of redbull (and coke too for that matter!)

jannik
Medium Poster

Postby jannik » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:22 am

Pump me up wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:04 pm
What a disastrous advertisement for ram airs!! Check out the ram air kite collapsing and deforming between 28s -> 34s. This could've easily ended in tears, injuring the rider and/or the windsurfers. It really emphasises the inherent dangerousness and instability of ram airs: because of excessive kite drag, the rider boosted while his kite was still deep in the window, causing him to pendulum under the kite. Then, because the ram air kite is soft and floppy, it collapsed and then partially re-expanded in the middle of the wind window; it then fell to the water in a completely uncontrolled manner. It was only luck that prevented a windsurfer from being in the line of fire.

Ignore the lies. Ram airs are inferior vs inflatables.

:pump:
I guess we see what we wanna see. I see a kite which drifts very well back to the edge off the window after being completely overflown. The LEI I had in 2009 would have dropped straight down leaving me in the lines. Then I see what looks like a foilkite going to 5th line safety with instant powerloss. I don't know if he did that on purpose but the LEI I had in 2009 would have gone to dual Frontline "safety" leaving me with a kite out of control powerfull enough to lift me...

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pump me up » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:52 am

jannik wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:22 am
I guess we see what we wanna see... Then I see what looks like a foilkite going to 5th line safety with instant powerloss.
Ram airs are DANGEROUS!! Even if what we're seeing here is a deliberate flag-out on the 5th line (rather than a completely uncontrolled ram air collapse), it begs the question: why did the rider feel the URGENT/EMERGENCY need to deploy the safety line???

The answer is obvious: his ram air kite was about to do something really weird or dangerous (e.g. exploding open in the middle of the power zone), so he took pre-emptive action.

Ignore the lies. Ignore the propaganda. Ram airs are inherently dangerous and are inferior vs inflatables.

Pumpy :pump:

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:46 am

Pump me up wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:04 pm
ram air kite is soft and floppy
He's right....here's proof...those aren't twin skin wings filled with air !!

jannik
Medium Poster

Postby jannik » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:44 am

Pump me up wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:52 am
jannik wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:22 am
I guess we see what we wanna see... Then I see what looks like a foilkite going to 5th line safety with instant powerloss.
Ram airs are DANGEROUS!! Even if what we're seeing here is a deliberate flag-out on the 5th line (rather than a completely uncontrolled ram air collapse), it begs the question: why did the rider feel the URGENT/EMERGENCY need to deploy the safety line???

The answer is obvious: his ram air kite was about to do something really weird or dangerous (e.g. exploding open in the middle of the power zone), so he took pre-emptive action.

Ignore the lies. Ignore the propaganda. Ram airs are inherently dangerous and are inferior vs inflatables.

Pumpy :pump:
Yeah you're right...The jump was good, the drift was good, the release was good...something fishy must have been going on! I think you are on to something with the explosions.
And what Eddy had to say about it....pheeew, that's just untrustworthy branding:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2359584
"Hi,

The wind was really super strong that day, I was totally overpowered with my 8m Psycho4.
After the huge jump, I was going streight into a steep wave with windsurfers coming from everywhere, so I decided to make a ,,rescue jump" steering my kite from 9.30 to 12. After landing my chicken loop got out as I forgot to put in my chickendick. (pretty stupid for this conditions, but anyway)

After the crash about 5 huge waves got over my kite, but nothing got damaged. I recovered and went out for another short session untill dark.

Eddy"

Return to “Kitesurfing”