Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Will we see the first foil kite at King of the Air 2019?

Forum for kitesurfers
User avatar
Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1149
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:18 pm
Local Beach: Punta del Diablo, Uruguay
Favorite Beaches: Durban, SA
Corpus Christi
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Slinghot, Nobile, Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 128 times
Contact:

Re: Will we see the first foil kite at King of the Air 2019?

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:34 am

Pump me up wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:04 pm
What a disastrous advertisement for ram airs!! Check out the ram air kite collapsing and deforming between 28s -> 34s. This could've easily ended in tears, injuring the rider and/or the windsurfers. It really emphasises the inherent dangerousness and instability of ram airs: because of excessive kite drag, the rider boosted while his kite was still deep in the window, causing him to pendulum under the kite. Then, because the ram air kite is soft and floppy, it collapsed and then partially re-expanded in the middle of the wind window; it then fell to the water in a completely uncontrolled manner. It was only luck that prevented a windsurfer from being in the line of fire.

Ignore the lies. Ram airs are inferior vs inflatables.

:pump:
So you’re basing your bullshit on a 10 year old foil design? Shows how outdated you are on your argument. Basically irrelevant.

knotmyfault
Medium Poster
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:16 pm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Will we see the first foil kite at King of the Air 2019?

Postby knotmyfault » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:09 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:34 am
Pump me up wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:04 pm
What a disastrous advertisement for ram airs!! Check out the ram air kite collapsing and deforming between 28s -> 34s. This could've easily ended in tears, injuring the rider and/or the windsurfers. It really emphasises the inherent dangerousness and instability of ram airs: because of excessive kite drag, the rider boosted while his kite was still deep in the window, causing him to pendulum under the kite. Then, because the ram air kite is soft and floppy, it collapsed and then partially re-expanded in the middle of the wind window; it then fell to the water in a completely uncontrolled manner. It was only luck that prevented a windsurfer from being in the line of fire.

Ignore the lies. Ram airs are inferior vs inflatables.

:pump:
So you’re basing your bullshit on a 10 year old foil design? Shows how outdated you are on your argument. Basically irrelevant.
:bye:

New designs are waaaayyyy better....



Image

User avatar
ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 691
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:28 pm
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, slingshot Dwarf craft
Medium Wind, 12m Screamer, 10m LTD Screamer,8 SouL, TT boards Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, F-one Trax
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Will we see the first foil kite at King of the Air 2019?

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:22 pm

Oily will stir the Hornets nest - just crap in it as you glide past too ;)

User avatar
The Captain
Frequent Poster
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:53 am
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: POOR SATELLITE RECEPTION
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Will we see the first foil kite at King of the Air 2019?

Postby The Captain » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:39 pm

I was out on the same kite, 8m Psycho 4 several weeks ago...I had almost forgotten was a great kite it was, and still is! Still in great shape after nearly a 8 years, foils have longevity going for them, that is difficult to dispute.
A little extra $$$ at the front is easy to justify if it last twice as long.
Just sayin'

User avatar
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5923
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: Will we see the first foil kite at King of the Air 2019?

Postby edt » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:54 pm

The kite didn't collapse, lol Lansky pulled the QR.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3525
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:15 am
Style: Professional Online Kitebored Commenter.
Gear: Flysurfer VMGs 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18. Foilboard ( Masts 75 110 125 Wings 880 1100 1350) with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 155 times

Re: Will we see the first foil kite at King of the Air 2019?

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:33 am

Marc Jacobs will win on a LEI if the judging is very clearly defined and fair.

Never mind going monster huge, sideways acceleration level off the scale. Notice the compkete lack of sideways acceleration on some of the kites chosen these days . Sideways acceleration blows me away.

User avatar
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5923
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:27 am
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: slingshot liquid force wainman pansh naish duotone cwb burton ronix ozone cabrinha north flysurfer
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: Will we see the first foil kite at King of the Air 2019?

Postby edt » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:10 am

Yeah agree with that Longwhitecloud. It's unfortunately though as long as they are giving so many points to height you can't get that much yank. Langeree used the Pivot over the Torch last year for this exact reason.

james
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 701
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:18 pm
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Will we see the first foil kite at King of the Air 2019?

Postby james » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:44 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:33 am
Marc Jacobs will win on a LEI if the judging is very clearly defined and fair.

Never mind going monster huge, sideways acceleration level off the scale. Notice the compkete lack of sideways acceleration on some of the kites chosen these days . Sideways acceleration blows me away.
So the sole reason that marc jacobs has never won KOTA is because the rules are twisted against him?

Yep of course they are. That’s why he has gone back year after year trying to win in a comp with rules set against him specifically.

Your both kiwis, great you support your home team, fine. But seriously it’s called king of the air

Not king of sideways acceleration is it?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 3525
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:15 am
Style: Professional Online Kitebored Commenter.
Gear: Flysurfer VMGs 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 18. Foilboard ( Masts 75 110 125 Wings 880 1100 1350) with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 155 times

Re: Will we see the first foil kite at King of the Air 2019?

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:58 am

i talking about next one, absolutely on fire!!!!!

Ambiguous rules have caused a few problems over the years.

They need to give score examples to make things fair.

eg megaloop KGB at 20m vs 25m kiteloop onefoot

19m kiteloop late front roll vs 23m jesse jump

19m early loop kite low sideways twang vs 24 m one footer

also overall impression/ flow eg 2 trick that link together

etc...

otherwise it just comes down to judge opinions at the time and that is not right. The judges need to be trained in judging too, in surfing for example they have very clear examples of scoring to reference and are free to discuss such examples with judges. It is all very open and well understood. That is fair.

aarons fairly low kgb loop beat kevins mega boosts that year, they adjusted height score %age the next but still left huge ambiguity.

Every top rider on earth has huge respect for sideways acceleration for good reason. Rating highly huge helicoptor loops, or giant dangle pendulum jumps over not quite as high kgb loops is the pinacle of kookness.

What next Aaron attaches a handle to his board and rides a dangling flying sleeping bag! yeah nah

clearly defined and therefore fair


mj can go sooo huuuuge... no problem there.. loop then unhook.. pass flying sideways at 100kmh then stomp the landing riding away at 100kmh too, all this while being built like a unit, not a feather... it's nutbags!

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 1154
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:39 pm
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly mostly
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 55 times
Been thanked: 64 times

Re: Will we see the first foil kite at King of the Air 2019?

Postby Faxie » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:12 pm

james wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:44 am
longwhitecloud wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:33 am
Marc Jacobs will win on a LEI if the judging is very clearly defined and fair.

Never mind going monster huge, sideways acceleration level off the scale. Notice the compkete lack of sideways acceleration on some of the kites chosen these days . Sideways acceleration blows me away.
So the sole reason that marc jacobs has never won KOTA is because the rules are twisted against him?

Yep of course they are. That’s why he has gone back year after year trying to win in a comp with rules set against him specifically.

Your both kiwis, great you support your home team, fine. But seriously it’s called king of the air

Not king of sideways acceleration is it?
Nothing to do with the rules, but he did have some bad luck. First KOTA trashed kite against some rocks because of upcoming water, so he had to compete with a borrowed Vegas. Second KOTA he did a front/backroll megaloop boardoff but was just outside the scoring zone, barely losing the heat. Kinda sucks. There's plenty of potential.


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 58 guests