Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Sal and Kite beach

Forum for kitesurfers
iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Sal - Kite beach fee?

Postby iriejohn » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:02 pm

I liked Kite Beach. I was learning (ish) so just stayed on the inside. Wear 3/2 with bare feet.

newold86
Rare Poster
Gear: Core
Has thanked: 0

Postby newold86 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:07 pm

And be careful with the reef in front of the Mitu’s school

Kiteus Polaris
Medium Poster
Local Beach: South Sweden
Gear: Blade
Shinn

Postby Kiteus Polaris » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:56 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:02 pm
I liked Kite Beach. I was learning (ish) so just stayed on the inside. Wear 3/2 with bare feet.
Thanks! I better start looking for that replacement of my disintegrating old 3/2!

Kiteus Polaris
Medium Poster
Shinn

Postby Kiteus Polaris » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:57 pm

newold86 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:07 pm
And be careful with the reef in front of the Mitu’s school
Thanks for the warnig! Must be the place a friend told that he ripped a fin box...

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:42 pm

Kiteus Polaris wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:56 pm
iriejohn wrote:
Thanks! I better start looking for that replacement of my disintegrating old 3/2!
No, a disintegrating 3/2 is fine, it's only a fashion show for some of our status conscious German friends. :wink:

Kiteus Polaris
Medium Poster
Shinn

Postby Kiteus Polaris » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:10 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:42 pm
Kiteus Polaris wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:56 pm
iriejohn wrote:
No, a disintegrating 3/2 is fine, it's only a fashion show for some of our status conscious German friends. :wink:
You are talking about Toby, right?!

SLiiCK
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Pembrey South Wales
Favorite Beaches: Exmouth
Pembrey
Fuerteventura
Cape Verde Ponta Preta
Hayle
Style: All
Gear: Naish/F One/Slingshot/Airush/Eclipse
Been thanked: 0

Postby SLiiCK » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:37 am

Cheers Kiteus Polaris for putting the post up will come handy in a few weeks.
Iriejohn what’s it like for foil boards I was just going to take my surfboard and tt but could do with polishing up on my foilboarding, just the issue with taking all 3 with weight etc.
Cheers for any info
Steve

dragnfly
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool/ St Annes. New Brighton (UK)
Favorite Beaches: UK - Rhosneigr. New Brighton, Blackrock Sands.
Non UK - Dakhla.
Style: FS80% WS15% Strapless5%
Gear: Cabrinha FX 12,9 & SB 7m, Drifter 5m
Crazyfly Raptor ltd 136 2018 (best board ever!)
Slingshot Screamer

Postby dragnfly » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:18 am

I've been here a few times and kited Shark bay (kite beach) and Ponta Preta (wave spot).

Shark bay/ Kite beach (same place) is the safest bet. It's a bit busy, but bearable. The water is fairly choppy inside the reef, but it's OK for learning, and the waves on the reef are quite nice between knee and head height, so not too scary.

I wouldn't bother with kite storage, as you'll have to pack them up in your bag after each session to get back to your accommodation - so just take them home with you - it will save the hassle of dropping/ off and picking them up each morning.

The only cost for Kite beach is paying a taxi/ jeep driver to take you there, which isn't too much.

I'd recommend a full length wetsuit - it's not overly chilly, and you could get away with a shorty - but the sun is FEARSOME (I can't over state this, its the most savage sun I've ever experienced), and there is no shelter or shade to speak of at kite beach (take plenty of water with you!). A full length suit will really help avoid sunburn.

Surfboard/ foil/ TT will all be great fun at kitebeach.

If you want waves, look up ponta preta, it's a 15 minute drive away and a very famous wave - but wind is cross offshore, and the waves can be ENOOOOURMOUS! Worth a visit just to watch the pro's though.

SLiiCK
Medium Poster
Pembrey
Fuerteventura
Cape Verde Ponta Preta
Hayle

Postby SLiiCK » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:27 pm

dragnfly wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:18 am
I've been here a few times and kited Shark bay (kite beach) and Ponta Preta (wave spot).

Shark bay/ Kite beach (same place) is the safest bet. It's a bit busy, but bearable. The water is fairly choppy inside the reef, but it's OK for learning, and the waves on the reef are quite nice between knee and head height, so not too scary.

I wouldn't bother with kite storage, as you'll have to pack them up in your bag after each session to get back to your accommodation - so just take them home with you - it will save the hassle of dropping/ off and picking them up each morning.

The only cost for Kite beach is paying a taxi/ jeep driver to take you there, which isn't too much.

I'd recommend a full length wetsuit - it's not overly chilly, and you could get away with a shorty - but the sun is FEARSOME (I can't over state this, its the most savage sun I've ever experienced), and there is no shelter or shade to speak of at kite beach (take plenty of water with you!). A full length suit will really help avoid sunburn.

If you want waves, look up ponta preta, it's a 15 minute drive away and a very famous wave - but wind is cross offshore, and the waves can be ENOOOOURMOUS! Worth a visit just to watch the pro's though.
Hi Dragnfly Cheers for the info definitely Surfboard and TT it will be a change been to Fuerteventura for the past 18 years kiting in the winter looking forward to the change :D

SLiiCK
Medium Poster
Pembrey
Fuerteventura
Cape Verde Ponta Preta
Hayle

Postby SLiiCK » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:32 pm

SLiiCK wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:27 pm
dragnfly wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:18 am

Hi Dragnfly Cheers for the info definitely Surfboard and TT it will be a change been to Fuerteventura for the past 18 years kiting in the winter looking forward to the change :D
Your spot on Dragnfly we’re staying on Ponta Preta beach cross off but super flat at the bottom end and a nice wave breaking of the reef at the top end big swell yesterday 15 to 20ft not enough wind this side to kite it 11knts taxi over to kite beach 7euros from Santa Maria no fee to the beach and blowing 16 knots + cross on direction typical for here that speed just shorts and rash but when it does kick in 3/2 mm wetsuit. Wind every day great location better than Fuerteventura this time of the year!

Return to “Kitesurfing”