Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: How to self launch a kite

Postby PullStrings » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:34 pm

sarc wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:20 am
Thanks Pullstrings.
Yes Peter Lynn ARC (the original one!), even got it modded by a pro in Australia who added TE tuck and side inflation zippers. So I launched sideways like a PL Venom (which I later owned). Yes I'm that old.
Anyways your launch method is intense as you have a bag on LE and another lighter one on TE, I will give it a try starting as 12kn wind!

Cheers.
Cool we are both old :lol:
In 12 knots you will not need any bag on TE to prevent kite spin out but you will need to add tension on the lines to pop the kite up with a bit of a short running start
In 35 kn with a 5 sqm LEI when the sand is blowing down the beach you really need to weigh down the TE and only need to walk backward very slow while looking at the kite to pop
Yes learn progressively in stronger and stronger winds
Wind direction can vary by the time you are ready to launch
So if needed re-position the kite TE exactly parallel with wind direction flow.... stand upwind of kite and toss sand in the air a few times times to check the set-up

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby fun2kite » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:02 am

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:07 am

Here is a short video on the method I teach. Should be learned in light winds away from other beach users.

https://youtu.be/huwxG22Bf_c
Last edited by Ozone Kites AUS on Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby iriejohn » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:02 pm

Ozone Kites AUS wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:07 am
Here is a short video on the method I teach. Should be learned in light winds away from other beach users.

https://youtu.be/huwxG22Bf_c
That's what I do except that I use enough trim before starting to launch so that the kite is underpowered when launching. Most of the time I don't use any sand. The trick is walk around until the kite rolls on its side then once it's there walk back the other way so that the kite launches without dragging,

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:27 pm

fun2kite wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:02 am
here is another way to self land

https://www.facebook.com/11332805201255 ... 6260663704
Here is the best way to self land your kite, in any winds, with any inflatable kite that has a free running single front line safety system like Ozone kites use.

https://youtu.be/waKLicEdwJk

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:37 am

Ozone Kites AUS wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:27 pm
Here is the best way to self land your kite, in any winds, with any inflatable kite that has a free running single front line safety system like Ozone kites use.
Pretty sure "the best way to self land" doesn't involve giving up all control over the kite and trusting the safety to not do something flakey :roll:

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:36 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:37 am
Ozone Kites AUS wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:27 pm
Pretty sure "the best way to self land" doesn't involve giving up all control over the kite and trusting the safety to not do something flakey :roll:
I've been using this method for nearly a decade, its never let me down, does not do what you claim. The method works extremely well and is best suited to any open sandy beach area where there are no sharp objects that will damage the LE of the kite.

Please show us your video of the "better" method.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:28 am

Ozone Kites AUS wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:36 am
I've been using this method for nearly a decade, its never let me down, does not do what you claim. The method works extremely well and is best suited to any open sandy beach area where there are no sharp objects that will damage the LE of the kite.

Wat?

Well that's interesting. I've never used it, and yet I've seen it go wrong on a number of occasions.

Gust gets under the LE and it flips and tumbles back downwind; bridle tangles in the tip and it loops; and even I've seen a twisted safety jam and not release the fully...

Those stellar fails convinced me to not give up control over the kite on landings (and launches) and relying on the "safety" system.

Should have watched it the first time, champ :thumb:

https://youtu.be/K5XvVmf1pas?t=108

The advantage of doing it this way is you know *exactly* where it's going to land (cos you put it there), you don't need as much beach, you still have control over the kite if it doesn't go down, and you STILL have the "safety" to fall back on.

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:05 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:28 am
Ozone Kites AUS wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:36 am

Wat?

Well that's interesting. I've never used it, and yet I've seen it go wrong on a number of occasions.

Gust gets under the LE and it flips and tumbles back downwind; bridle tangles in the tip and it loops; and even I've seen a twisted safety jam and not release the fully...

Those stellar fails convinced me to not give up control over the kite on landings (and launches) and relying on the "safety" system.

Should have watched it the first time, champ :thumb:

https://youtu.be/K5XvVmf1pas?t=108

The advantage of doing it this way is you know *exactly* where it's going to land (cos you put it there), you don't need as much beach, you still have control over the kite if it doesn't go down, and you STILL have the "safety" to fall back on.
OK so you have never used my method. BUT you are an expert on it and can declare it a terrible and dangerous method, :D

I've seen so many people mangle themselves and others nearby with the method shown in the JK vid, because they try this method in strong winds, not 10 knots like in his video. When they let go of the bar to yank on the top line, one or the other rear lines will loop around the bar, then when the kite does not sit down, KABooM! we have a death looping kite, or people get their fingers and hands caught in the lines.

My method keeps hands and fingers completely clear of the lines, you learn how to use the safety, where it is, what it does, and if you get it wrong (while still learning it properly) the worst that happens is that it will tumble downwind (mostly only once) and land nose into the wind.

And if you want to, you can put the kite on the sand and then pop the safety, but this method does not work so well in strong winds and will lead to tumbling of the kite regularly, thats why I show to turn the kite down and then pop the main safety simultaneously pulling the flag out line. Practice it and report back Kevin, don't just rubbish something thats well proven and useful because you have a grudge against me.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:25 am

Ozone Kites AUS wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:05 am
OK so you have never used my method. BUT you are an expert on it and can declare it a terrible and dangerous method, :D

I've seen so many people mangle themselves and others nearby with the method shown in the JK vid, because they try this method in strong winds, not 10 knots like in his video. When they let go of the bar to yank on the top line, one or the other rear lines will loop around the bar, then when the kite does not sit down, KABooM! we have a death looping kite, or people get their fingers and hands caught in the lines.

My method keeps hands and fingers completely clear of the lines, you learn how to use the safety, where it is, what it does, and if you get it wrong (while still learning it properly) the worst that happens is that it will tumble downwind (mostly only once) and land nose into the wind.

And if you want to, you can put the kite on the sand and then pop the safety, but this method does not work so well in strong winds and will lead to tumbling of the kite regularly, thats why I show to turn the kite down and then pop the main safety simultaneously pulling the flag out line. Practice it and report back Kevin, don't just rubbish something thats well proven and useful because you have a grudge against me.
I've never let Jesus take the wheel but I can tell it's not something I want to try.

10 knots? Is there are method that doesn't work in 10 knots? It's enough to just angle the kite towards the ground then walk towards it.

JK method works fine in strong winds because it's the same thing you're doing, with the useful exception that you still have control of the kite and it's going down exactly where you tell it.

You can avoid any tumbling downwind by doing it properly the first time.

Well proven? I've seen your safety landing fail more then the other methods - as you said, tumbling downwind through everyone's gear.

Perhaps, Steve, casa McCormack has more beach out there at Lennox Heads to play with, and those of us not wanting to abandon kites unnecessarily to the "safety" and take pot luck with the resting place have better ways to handle our gear.

Grudge, Steve? Don't be so precious. Yours is just not "the best way" to self land a kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”