Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Iberostar Playa Pilar Cayo Guillermo

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Iberostar Playa Pilar Cayo Guillermo

Postby Laughingman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:56 pm

KiterDon wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:21 am
Hi

I am just back from Guillermo. Stayed at the Sol. Several families with kids there seemed to be having a nice time. Its not posh by any means but more than adequate - depends on your standards...

You might want to look at the Melia if you want a little more upscale. The resorts at the Pillar end of Guillermo strike me as being potentiality a little offshore for prevailing winds. In any case I'd avoid the Sercotel which was nicknamed the "Circus Hotel" due to the mob-scene of kiters.

Lots of lovely beach and shalliw water at all the resorts. I hope you find one that works for your family!
FYI the SOL will be closed from April to Nov this year

justbob
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Favorite Beaches: Mbay, Rondeau, Kettle Point
Gear: 14m Switch Nitro 4
12m Switch Nitro 7
11m Switch Element
10m Switch Nitro 6
8m Switch Nitro 4
Jimmy Lewis Model 3
Shinn King Gee
Axis Vanguard
Shinnster
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby justbob » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:35 pm

SolarSet wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:41 am
justbob wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:33 pm
Was there in Nov, see the thread below. Feel free to pm me for more info.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2400501&start=20
Thanks for response, what wind condition did you have?
From Grand Muthu can you walk to nearest kite school?

I’m 92kg and have set of 10 & 14 slightly worried size 14m could be too small.

Read some people recommend Cuba in March for wind
It was anywhere from 8 to 18kts out of the east for the week that I was there. I rode my 14m the entire time with my 11m
if I needed it. I am 100kg so those two sizes work in most conditions for me. I don't do light wind kiting, so my largest kite
is the 14m.
It's an easy 5 to 10 min walk to the first school at the Sol. I recommend setting up there once you pay the "kite fee", they
will launch and land you. You might as well get something for your money.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:19 pm

I would add as I typically do on threads about Cuba... it is not a windy destination. There are mild easterly winds most days maybe 10 knots the 15+ knot days are rare unless you get lucky... and I have but I have been there over a dozen times. I have had wind everyday and I have had no wind for 10 days, it really is hit or miss... very good spot for Hydrofoiling or if you have really big kites and big boards and like to use them. My last trip there we were on the hydrofoils all but one day, but the guys on the twin tips were luck to have 1 or 2 days with a few hours of good wind basically the same conditions we had the year before in two weeks we were able to twintip twice... the rest was only good for hydrofoiling.

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby SolarSet » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:10 pm

Thanks guys for feedback this kinda put off going there since I would travel from Europe. I’m starting to consider Fuerveture instead as it is a cheaper and look more windier.
Are there thermal winds ins march or you should expect what windguru shows?
I don’t see any live wind readings from there...

Costa
Rare Poster
Gear: Duotone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Costa » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:20 pm

Laughingman wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:19 pm
I would add as I typically do on threads about Cuba... it is not a windy destination. There are mild easterly winds most days maybe 10 knots the 15+ knot days are rare unless you get lucky... and I have but I have been there over a dozen times. I have had wind everyday and I have had no wind for 10 days, it really is hit or miss... very good spot for Hydrofoiling or if you have really big kites and big boards and like to use them. My last trip there we were on the hydrofoils all but one day, but the guys on the twin tips were luck to have 1 or 2 days with a few hours of good wind basically the same conditions we had the year before in two weeks we were able to twintip twice... the rest was only good for hydrofoiling.
Hi! What month was that? Planning on Cuba in February...

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Windigo1 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:11 pm

I have been 28 times to Cuba mostly for kiting. The wind gets better as the winter advances. The best months are March and April but you can still have no wind it's not a guaranteed wind place like Aruba.

Normally you have enough wind to foil with a big kite almost every day at the end of the day unless there is a weird system messing up the wind and the wind becomes offshore! When it's warm you get a nice steady wind ESE or E if there a cold front coming in you get a more gusty NE or N. Look at google map to see if this is going to be onshore for your hotel. For many hotels it doesn't work.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:42 pm

Costa wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:20 pm
Laughingman wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:19 pm
Hi! What month was that? Planning on Cuba in February...
Just got back from a week there... again super light winds. Foilers were okay, twin tippers spent the week watching us and taking their kites for long walks back up wind. I think November is about the worse month, February has a higher chance of wind, March and April are the best. I would not go to Cuba if I expected to use a twin tip period. Been skunked way too many times, and now I see people sitting on the beach for an entire week while we have fun hydrofoiling.
I just cannot stress this enough, Cuba is not a windy destination. I keep on saying this, I keep on seeing proof of it but I get there and there 30 - 50 some twin tippers complaining about the wind.
Anyone, who is organizing trips to Cuba as a windy Kiting destination are crooks unless they are hydrofoil specific.
After 10 years of visiting Cuba 2 - 3 weeks each winter I’m qualified to say... its not ducking windy there. There are way better spots to go that are twin tip windy in the winter. LaVentana, Los Baralis , Roatan, Brazil, Costa Rica, Panama, Nicaragua.
We stayed at a better resort this time, people said the food was good... it was the same damn food as the cheapest resort, better service, but the same mystery meats, the same overcooked vegetables. The same tiny coffee cups, the same jammed up salt shaker, the same shitty coffee.
We hydrofoiled 7 outa 7 days. 2 were short lived only got about 30 mins in on those days but other days we got a couple solid hours in. Good for us, bad for twintippers.

Return to “Kitesurfing”