deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Quiver Simplicity

Postby deniska » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:26 pm

If I had to pick one kite, I'd pick 9m and it would cover me from 9 to 30 kts easy (I'd still need two boards: TT and HF)
But every kite/size has a sweet spot, which is just 3-4kts of wind range and one does not need to be a pro to appreciate it.
I am pretty happy with 2 boards and 4 kites 7-9-12-17 but occasionally there are days when I wish I also had 8 and 10 in my quiver..
That said, I never spend more than 2 seconds to decide which size to rig, unless I am not very eager to kite right away..
And going back to the OP, some guys start "what size to rig" routine, not because they are unsure, but because they want to socialize more than to kite :-)

Jukka
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn, Core, Shinn, Airush
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Quiver Simplicity

Postby Jukka » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:46 pm

Sorry to burst your hippie bubble. Less is not more in this case. Right size kite is more. Other than that it's often just wrong size kite, which is never fun, or sitting at the beach.
During first season, most should learn to read the conditions and be able to choose the right equipment within minutes.

Good for Toby if simplifying to one kite quiver is awesome. You might be a unique snowflake enjoying a unique snowflake setup, but for the 99,9 % of others, that is just a shitty setup, nothing else.

Return to “Kitesurfing”