Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats
Brand Affiliation: None

Upgrading Valve

Postby pixelpedro » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:20 am

Hey y'all first of all Merry X-mas!

I have a 2012 7m SS Fuel that I bought brand new a few years back and it is still practically new with about 5 sessions on it, it would have about 2 more sessions on it except twice I've forgotten the pump hose adaptor to inflate it (9mm I think). So in efforts of being more efficient, I figured upgrade the dump valve for a boston valve which will match the rest of the kites in my quiver a 2015 9m RPM and an 11m Neo, I know the Neo isn't a boston valve but I can use just the pump hose on both kites with no issues.

My question is do y'all think by enlarging the opening a little to match the diameter of the new valve on either valve opening (inflate or deflate) on the leading edge will compromise the integrity of the LE material in that area? I'm thinking prob do it on the deflate: 1. is closer the the LE bladder zipper and 2. the deflate valve is already a bit wider than the inflate one.

Thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated. Tnx, in advance!

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Re: Upgrading Valve

Postby jakemoore » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:47 am

FixMyKite upgraded an old slim nozzle valve to a Boston for me. Worked well.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:01 am

If it is worth it have a sailmaker reinforce the area round the valve. Shouldn't cost more than 30 euros.

Jukka
Medium Poster
Gear: Peter Lynn, Core, Shinn, Airush

Postby Jukka » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:46 pm

I suppose it depends how much reinforcement there is currently.

I did the same, updraded a toy valve to Boston. I just cut the LE opening bigger with scissors (carefully to make it tight enough for the Boston valve to stay put), cut the toy valve away from the bladder and stick doctuba Boston valve on. Finalized it with putting some aquasure on the edges of the valve patch. I didn't see any need to reinforce the LE material in my kite.

No problems, should have done this years ago...

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:40 pm

I think bottom (bladder) part of boston is same as boston bayonet. The last one is what I'd go for.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster

Postby pixelpedro » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:47 pm

Ah cool! tnx guys for the feedback I just didn't wanna go in and F it up since conceptually makes sense and doesn't seem like a big deal but I'm no kite builder/designer so wanted to make sure.
Jukka wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:46 pm
I suppose it depends how much reinforcement there is currently.

I did the same, updraded a toy valve to Boston. I just cut the LE opening bigger with scissors (carefully to make it tight enough for the Boston valve to stay put), cut the toy valve away from the bladder and stick doctuba Boston valve on. Finalized it with putting some aquasure on the edges of the valve patch. I didn't see any need to reinforce the LE material in my kite.

No problems, should have done this years ago...
Yeah I was thinking of hand-sewing the edges of it so it doesn't fray and sealing around it with some aquaseal.

Again, Tnx soooo much.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:17 am

Most Boston and similar large combo valves also have a ring of Velcro hook on the valve shoulder and a mating ring of Velcro felt/loop on the inside of the kite LE pocket around the valve opening to prevent the valve from rotating when you turn the valve plug or cap.

You may want to include some Velcro so you don't have any valve-rotation problems.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster

Postby pixelpedro » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:33 am

GregK wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:17 am
Most Boston and similar large combo valves also have a ring of Velcro hook on the valve shoulder and a mating ring of Velcro felt/loop on the inside of the kite LE pocket around the valve opening to prevent the valve from rotating when you turn the valve plug or cap.

You may want to include some Velcro so you don't have any valve-rotation problems.
great idea mate tnx! I was gona just put some aqua seal but velcro actually sounds like a mode adult approach :lol: tnx for the tips.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:37 am

I tried to do just that on an old 17m but the stitching for the leading edge was to close to the valve hole. If it's far enough away go ahead and do it but I would reinforce the leading edge with a Dacron patch like others have suggested.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster

Postby pixelpedro » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:40 am

Windigo1 wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:37 am
I tried to do just that on an old 17m but the stitching for the leading edge was to close to the valve hole. If it's far enough away go ahead and do it but I would reinforce the leading edge with a Dacron patch like others have suggested.
Luckily for me on the Fuel the valve is pretty much in the center (or seems that way) but yes I'll reinforce the crap out of it! Thank you all for the help and tips :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”