Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The proactive accident database has been updated. See here.

Forum for kitesurfers
longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: The proactive accident database has been updated. See here.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:30 am

No it’s not enjoying seeing you leverage kiters deaths in your little crusade against the IKA.
This is NOT its purpose. IKA are now just a kite racing (and kite speed?) organisation. While I may comment critically on organisations on this forum for constructive reasons FOR EXAMPLE > IKA - advertising for youth kiteboarders to enter youth olympic qualification races with no experience - danger backed up by forum member DImitri ALSO > I was also critical of KOTA/Red Bull and their effectiveness for pulling out unconscious riders from the water. I have experience in similar conditions and have done some training in big wave ski rescue which might help with my suggestions.
It is certainly NOT a little crusade against the IKA or KOTA as a matter of fact. It's to educate.

Including Ruben in there? Why? His cancer was nothing to do with an accident database.
It includes fundraisers for sick /injured kiters and kiters saving drowning swimmers too... anything proactive. Fundraisers enable people to help people with similar interests in need if they choose. It works though publicity /engagement. Accident or not, I personally don't care. Ask someone else's opinion...

The kiter killed by a shark? Wtf
The world isnt your cold sharkless bubble. 2 of them were at the same spot in New Caledonia, both body dragging when they came off their board, a place that I kite.

I feel pretty strongly on this after Safety Rick phoned me two days after a fatal accident In the UK wanting to put it all over the Internet with no reguard for the facts.

So what, the database doesnt have anything to do with his reports or him (i dont think there are any links to his new topics at all). While I don't see eye to eye with his database where he sells the information and keeps it private, his lack of comment on the IKAs dangerous and amateur Olympic report to IOC after doing so much safety work, and his opinion that keeping this information private is best because he lives in repressive society where it could get local spots shut down (not everywhere in the world works like that/ is in that bubble), i still have some respect for the fact that he had a bad accident and tries to help people from ending up in a similar or worse situation. I do think is reports are bit too in depth for many to bother to read them tho, just my constructive opinion though..

Linking to forum speculation about each of the accidents as you have is particularly insensitive and potentially misleading.

It's not 2000 any more. People are not stupid as you think. Even kids at school learn about fake news, opinions, the difference between news sources, journalism, analysis, trolling and keyboard warriors...
It says its best efforts and that is what it is, you or anyone can click on the cell and add a suggested edit, it's about as easy as it could be, it's been a group effort with many many contributors, even used for university papers and a thesis.
What voluntary work did you do for kiteboarding again?

If you had linked to legal records post investigation that actually clarified precisely what happened without the gossip that you get on this forum I would have rather more time for you and this database.

If you bothered to look, you would find that exclusive kiteforum links (info source) are a very a small minority - if any. They may be used as sources of various information though. Nearly everything has a source (mostly newspaper- same problem - but its best efforts and lke I said people are not stupid. Still I think they can offer valuable information too. I learnt a lot of information from this forum and I shared a lot too over the years. Finally something constructive from you "linked to legal records post investigation" where do you find them?

This isnt wikileaks, this is database of publicly available info or local volunteered info by those that think it would be constructive and as a result less people may have to go though the pain and suffering of big accidents due to being educated by this.

For someone that doesnt have much time for me, you sure are spending a lot of time on my posts trying to bum me out without even knowing me. Talk respectfully, be constructive in the way you communicate. Go kiting.

I certainly got better things to be doing than this post, involving wind and waves.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:18 pm

I like it! Disregard the haters. They will always hate

It would also be cool to have wind stats and kite sizes used if available.

evgentz
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Nahant, Massachusetts
Favorite Beaches: Nahant, West Dennis, Chapin, Pleasure Bay
Gear: Naish Park 9 and 14, Slingshot Rally 11, Cabrinha board 136 and 144 cm
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby evgentz » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:22 pm

This is scary as shit. However a) - No one has any idea how many kiters are in the world, how many really have died and what is your personal statistical chance of dying and b) - after looking at that I am still looking at the wind forecast every hour :)

I do think though it is a good thing to have this scary database. Many accidents could have been avoided and I hope it will change some of the risky behavior and stupid decision making (like kiting all by yourself) we all are occasionally responsible for.

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:22 pm

james wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:29 pm
No it’s not enjoying seeing you leverage kiters deaths in your little crusade against the IKA.

Including Ruben in there? Why? His cancer was nothing to do with an accident database.

The kiter killed by a shark? Wtf

I feel pretty strongly on this after Safety Rick phoned me two days after a fatal accident In the UK wanting to put it all over the Internet with no reguard for the facts.

Linking to forum speculation about each of the accidents as you have is particularly insensitive and potentially misdleading.

If you had linked to legal records post investigation that actually clarified precisely what happened without the gossip that you get on this forum I would have rather more time for you and this database.
I’m with you on this...the bloke impaled by drift wood was in Australia not UK. Speculation.

Return to “Kitesurfing”