Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Accident at Kite Beach, Bloubergstrand, South Africa

Forum for kitesurfers
Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Accident at Kite Beach, Bloubergstrand, South Africa

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:10 pm

And we had another great day today, winds not as strong, so 9m all afternoon. Waves were big though, forecast swell at 4m, and down at Big Bay they were coming through in sets bigger than that, and further north they were peaking way high. Credit to a couple of guys on strapped directionals who were tearing them up and ripping down the line through the crescents. And one amazing guy on a strapless board - respect! I was mostly jumping over and off them on a TT, and when riding them in desperately trying to make sure I did not catch a front edge while scooting along. Awesome stuff, one tired puppy tonight.
Attachments
Monday January 7 2019.jpeg
Monday January 7 2019.jpeg (101.62 KiB) Viewed 1393 times

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:27 pm

Each to their own re wetsuits - when I went (a loong time ago) a 3/2 shorty was toasty.

As for accidents, as noted before, newbies to the beaches be careful as the intensity/density of the wind is incredible - a mate's brother is an orthopaedic surgeon and is kept very busy with an operating theater full of kiters in the summer season.

WMFG
Medium Poster
Style: Strapless
Gear: WMFG, Mystic, Naish, Amundson, Firewire
Brand Affiliation: WMFG Founder
Has thanked: 0

Postby WMFG » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:50 pm

Based on my one and only trip to CT 2 seasons ago, riding mostly at Kite Beach, I found it staggering how many intermediate riders are riding massively overpowered. I'd be lit on a 6m (admittedly on a directional) and it struck me a 9m 5line kite was the kite of choice for a lot of the riders. I kept thinking to myself that this is where small C Kites come to die. It was amazing how many riders were over-kited and frankly under-skilled for the conditions. Maybe they were training for KOTA?

I'm hoping the shine has come off the 5line C kites over the past couple years.

Add to that it's pretty darn busy and probably getting way more busy since I was there and I'm surprised there aren't more injuries.

Re suits, I rode mostly a full 3mm when it was windy, and was ok in a long sleeve shorty on lighter days. I understand when it's really blowing for a few days it can get colder, but I didn't think it was too bad. As stated, nice and warm on shore.

Bummed I'm not there right now. Love the thick, dense wind and waves

markymarc
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 80
Local Beach: Katwijk aan Zee
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay / Dolphin beach
Cabarete
El Cabezo
Zandmotor / Wijk aan Zee
Sprecklesville
Style: freeride boosting big air / big waves
Gear: Duotone Jaime SLS 2022 136 cm
Cabrinha Switchblade 7,9,11 2021
North Whip 2014
Cabrinha Contra 15m 2014
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby markymarc » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:56 pm

Thanks guys I will take my old 2014 Rip Curl E-bomb (5/3) with cut-off short sleeves en cut off pants just below the knees. Hopefully that does it... I mean, end of Jan is more or less the warmest seawater period around Capetown isn't it? http://nl.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Big- ... st/six_day

Maybe see some of you on the water over there! :bye:

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Has thanked: 0

Postby lovethepirk » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:19 pm

The issue I see most dangerous when launching people is they stand way too far upwind of the kite. This happens every single time there are a bunch of people at our site. Even experienced kiters get lazy doing this or excitement to get on the water. It's not a big deal in 15 knots, but once you pass 20 knots this can be a real problem if the holder can't hang onto the kite. This is one area I think teachers should pound into the brain of their students over and over....rig downwind and walk upwind slowly and get those lines sorted out as you approach perpendicular to the wind.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:30 pm

It was pretty hectic at KiteBeach today, see below. As The Russion and WMFG note, the wind feels dense and hence even stronger than this meter suggests. A couple of guys pumped 12m kites around 4PM, but quickly discovered the error of their ways. I quickly landed my 9m, and went to 7m and even that was hard to hold onto. The hotshots were on 9m kites, but very few five-line kites these days, WMFG.
Attachments
Tuesday January 8 2019.jpeg
Tuesday January 8 2019.jpeg (88.55 KiB) Viewed 1136 times

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:07 am

I was wondering where Kevin Langaree and crew were riding yesterday. Turns out they were at Dolphin Beach just upwind of Kitebeach. Check the jumps!

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:45 pm

Well, yesterday was a disappointment, with a weak SEaster trying to come through for a couple of hours. Just enough to get going on surfboard and 9m Pivot. Worked my way upwind from kitebeach to Dolphin beach watching kites fall in the water downwind of me. At Dolphin watched the first real kook of the season, a guy with a 12m Core kite with a board leash and no clue what he was doing. Landed up on the beach a couple of times, and the last time allowed someone to hotlaunch him, leading to the inevitable body-drag down the beach, unfortunately including a downloop into those standing nearby. As far as I could see noone hurt, but I can only hope he learnt something from it, although I doubt it. Would have made for a classic YouTube video.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:58 pm

Why didn’t anyone stop him?

I would have gone there and had a chat to make sure he and others stay safe.

Just watching doesn’t keep us access...

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:25 am

Generally I agree, Toby. Several times I have refused to launch someone, indeed strongly suggested with a guy who was new to the beach that a 7m kite was not going to work as the wind was clearly dying back to the south, with three kiters stranded in the water outside the wave zone (I ended up walking the km back to Kitebeach as the wind backed off completely and everyone packed up). But this guy seemed incorrigible and the hotlaunch happened before I could do anything about it. After that he did pack up. I suppose I could have tried having a chat with him in the parking lot, but who knows how he might have reacted to that.

Return to “Kitesurfing”