Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Line Stretch or Shrinkage?

Forum for kitesurfers
JakeFarley
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Old fart style
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip, custom 140 x 50 strapless twintip/skim
Brand Affiliation: None

Line Stretch or Shrinkage?

Postby JakeFarley » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:23 pm

On my 2010 Xbows when I tested the line lengths on both bars, the back/steering lines are tight but the center lines are about 1-1/2" longer. I've adjusted the pigtails on both bars to accommodate the 1-1/2" difference so that the kites fly correctly with correct trim and depower. I'm thinking that both stretch of the center lines and shrinkage of the steering lines has happened. Anyone else have this happen to their lines? Any thoughts?

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Line Stretch or Shrinkage?

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:07 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:23 pm
On my 2010 Xbows when I tested the line lengths on both bars, the back/steering lines are tight but the center lines are about 1-1/2" longer. I've adjusted the pigtails on both bars to accommodate the 1-1/2" difference so that the kites fly correctly with correct trim and depower. I'm thinking that both stretch of the center lines and shrinkage of the steering lines has happened. Anyone else have this happen to their lines? Any thoughts?
Everyone else has this happen, whether they do anything is another question. My guess is that it's almost entirely rear line shrink, these lines all come pre-stretched so that they won't elongate very much, but dyneema (especially thin dyneema) usually shrinks over time, especially when it's not carrying a lot of load (as is the case with steering lines on a kite).

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: Naish, Epic, F-one, Shinn
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well and fun to fly
Has thanked: 0

Re: Line Stretch or Shrinkage?

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:13 pm

Forget the shrink - get new lines and save yourself or others from line break injury...

Return to “Kitesurfing”