Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Please help me plan for a road-trip in Western Australia

Forum for kitesurfers
Tightlines
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Please help me plan for a road-trip in Western Australia (Perth - Exmouth)

Postby Tightlines » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:06 pm

I asked earlier when you were going but no reply?

Just to let you know it can get very hot up there around January, February e.g. the average temp is around 24/27 to 42/43 celsius all this week (75/80 to /107/109 F) and the wind can trough out for days on end.
I personally would be heading South from Perth at this time of the year not North, much nicer weather and more chance of consistent wind, consider yourself warned.

https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kit ... ld-you-go-

Sgallian
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: La Saline - Reunion Island
Favorite Beaches: La Prairie - Mauritius
Tarifa
Style: Freeride - Freestyle - Strapless - Foil
Gear: 2014 Naish Parks , 2017 Naish Dash
NHP SplitBoard Carbon(2016)
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Sgallian » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:33 pm

Hello, replied earlier: mid March.
So hoping for extended season of Seabreeze...
Speaking of which, could not register to the forum...
Hum that's a new angle... Scope is to have campervan experience with the kids, great scenery and good probability of wind with shallow shark-free water... (coming from Réunion Island)
South would be better for that even in March? Would sure mean less kilometers. Thanks a lot for speaking in Celsius :)

Tightlines
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006

Postby Tightlines » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:58 pm

Whoops I'm at the end of a nightshift here and a bit tired, didn't notice you had replied with time of year.

You could get lucky with the wind but just be warned it is not an ideal time, I'm sure you will still enjoy the scenery regardless.

thekitemonster
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Belmont Shore (Long Beach CA)
Favorite Beaches: Waddel Creek
Style: Foil, waves
Gear: Surfboards and 2016 Moses 550/325

Postby thekitemonster » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:12 pm

Two factors you must consider up there are the heat and the flies. You will need some place protected from both. If it's too hot to shut yourself in a vehicle you will need a screen tent and comfortable folding chairs or recliners to be able to relax. Don't go up there in the summer. March sounds hot for vehicle camping, but with a hotel room in Exmouth it might be perfect. Can you fly up from Perth? The two day drive is very monotonous. I'd do it again for a 90 day trip. Not a 9 day trip.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:51 am

Hi,

If u are from Reunion, maybe u know Herkul? Or even Louis Rouillard? Can hook u up with them.

Anyways, your trip is quite challenging. Because with big van, u can do only 80-90 km/h, and the distances are huge. Particularly coz u can drive only in daylight, it is not advised to drive at night on open roads.

U might easily hit a kangaroo, cow, or even a camel up North in the sunsets or night. And this is scary s.it..

When it blows, it blows hard particularly above Geraldton. And that might be too much for you guys. It is a no go, the waves will be nothing like u used to. U need to plan for injuries, urgent help it very very far in remote areas.

The best bet is to stay in Safety Bay for u guys. Half of your trip there, and around Perth, than go South. The kids will love it, Penguin Island is there, flat water, kite school, etc. Gear fixing, bla bla

Also, it is very very expensive. The petrol up North is much more expensive. Food too, water, everything. As mentioned, flies there are absolute nuisance, your wife and kids might struggle with that.

The nature for me is way more beautiful down South. But thats me. Margaret River, Busselton, Yallingup, Pemberton, Augusta, Denmark, Albany, Walpol, all stunning if u take local roads and not freeway. Eating out, winaries, huge caves, walking tracks, stunning for kids too. North is too dry for me, I love trees, hillsides..

Sharks? On open Ocean? They are everywhere, don’t worry.

D.

Sgallian
Medium Poster
Tarifa

Postby Sgallian » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:12 am

downunder wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:51 am
Hi,

If u are from Reunion, maybe u know Herkul? Or even Louis Rouillard? Can hook u up with them.

When it blows, it blows hard particularly above Geraldton. And that might be too much for you guys. It is a no go, the waves will be nothing like u used to. U need to plan for injuries, urgent help it very very far in remote areas.

The best bet is to stay in Safety Bay for u guys. Half of your trip there, and around Perth, than go South. The kids will love it, Penguin Island is there, flat water, kite school, etc. Gear fixing, bla bla

Also, it is very very expensive. The petrol up North is much more expensive. Food too, water, everything. As mentioned, flies there are absolute nuisance, your wife and kids might struggle with that.

Sharks? On open Ocean? They are everywhere, don’t worry.

D.
Hello
No, I don't know the guys you mentioned, I'll give you my number in PM if you want to give it to them, won't be in Réunion until the end of January though.
Thanks you all for your insights. We were already deciding to cut it short, maybe going up to Sharkbay, but no further as it does look quite desolate after that.
I was under the impression that there were only waves kitespots in the South, and more sharky, hence this itinerary...
I'll change the name of this post if I can.
Plane tickets, motorhome (for 12 days) and accommodations in Perth already booked, but we can change our route.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own

Re: Please help me plan for a road-trip in Western Australia

Postby downunder » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:05 am

No probs,

Shark Bay is nice, but, as the name suggests, it is full of sharks. Dolphins can be seen in Safety Bay or Albany as well. There is nothing else in SBay. Exmouth yes, but not SB.

The Lancelin sand dunes are way more fun for kids than SBay, trust me on that. Pinnacles and Jurian Bay too.

People do not kite waves down south, why would they? It is surfing mecca, top Surfing spots. Only a few spots are for kites, coz the wind elsewhere is offshore most of the time. So, no go...

Also, parking and shire inspectors are full on, it is high season, do not underestimate that. The camping sites might close the door, so u need to be there early to get the spot. However, out of town u can ask locals to park on the private land. But, since u are not local...

So yeah, lower your expectations, 12 days is not enough, you need to rest heaps to drive and kite. Or you might endanger someone else and yourself. We see it on news all the time, almost daily.

D.

PS Not Hercul, Hector :)

Zen_Rider
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Fresh West & Tenby South Beach
Style: Versatile
Gear: P-Series 6 / 8 / 10 / 12
Shin Turbo
Shin Wave

Postby Zen_Rider » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:43 am

I did a similar trip in 06...

I would highly recommend going a bit south of Perth to the Margret River area, not only is it absolutely beautiful, but there are some incredible beaches to kite. Can be quite wavey though.

Also when your around Exmouth, Id' try and spend a week camping in the cape range NP, we found a beautiful little bay with perfect flat water to camp beside (and kite every day). We saw dugong and dolphins while kiting and it was bliss...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@-22.0335 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Sgallian
Medium Poster
Tarifa

Postby Sgallian » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:49 pm

Zen_Rider wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:43 am
I did a similar trip in 06...

I would highly recommend going a bit south of Perth to the Margret River area, not only is it absolutely beautiful, but there are some incredible beaches to kite. Can be quite wavey though.

Also when your around Exmouth, Id' try and spend a week camping in the cape range NP, we found a beautiful little bay with perfect flat water to camp beside (and kite every day). We saw dugong and dolphins while kiting and it was bliss...

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@-22.0335 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Well, great, that is exactly what I was originally looking for: coordinates of camping sites really close to kite spots!
Unfortunately, looks like we won't make it so far up North...
How long did your trip last then?

Zen_Rider
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Fresh West & Tenby South Beach
Style: Versatile
Gear: P-Series 6 / 8 / 10 / 12
Shin Turbo
Shin Wave

Postby Zen_Rider » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:34 pm

We did 9 months but drove all the way around Sydney to Sydney... It was a while ago so things will certainly have changed, but we found it really easy to find campsites near kiteable beaches. When you hit a new town, go directly to the tourist office, they usually have really good maps of the area with all the campsites, shops, beaches etc... marked out...

Return to “Kitesurfing”