Tony in FL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 165 pounds
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade 7M/9M/11M - Contra 13M
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Cabrinha Moto

Postby Tony in FL » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:58 pm

I am also a Switchblade owner looking at the possibility of moving over to the Moto. I like the idea of less bar pressure and faster turning (larger SB's are kind of slow). I had one session on the 14M Moto thus far. The winds were fairly strong for a 14M, perhaps averaging 15 - 20 knots with gusts higher. At the time I did not realize the winds were that strong and had the trim set close to full power much of the time. Someone larger than me was on a Switchblade 14M and commented that they were overpowered. The Cabrinha charts show the same wind ranges for both of these kites. But my limited experience suggests the upper range of the Moto may be higher than the Switchblade. This make me wonder if the low end of the Moto may not be quite as good as the Switchblade. I need to try the Moto at the lower end of its respective wind range.

I enjoyed my session on this kite. It seemed to provide nice, floaty jumps and it turned much faster than a 14M Switchblade. The bar pressure seemed higher than I would have expected. But perhaps this was due to riding the 14M in reasonably strong winds for that size kite. I am hoping to hear more feedback from others who have demoed or who own a Moto.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:44 pm

I'll try and be brief here... ;)

I rode the Contra 15, Moto 14, and Switchblade 14 all back to back. The winds were light and I was on a Stylus 160 (235 pies here). When I went from the Contra to the Moto, I felt a little less powered, but could tell that the kite was more responsive/faster turning. It jumped fine, if maybe not as floaty as some others out there, but nothing like the cannonball drop you get with a surf kite. It felt pretty normal to me. When I went from the Moto to the Switchblade, I suddenly felt like I had a little more low end grunt. The bar pressure was maybe a smidge more, but that's tough to say. I also felt like the Moto may have been just a tad more responsive/faster turning, but again, pretty close.

I think in this case, if I were cruising around in light wind all the time on a twin tip, I'd pick the Contra. If I were out there in good wind, trying to set a new personal best on a Woo, I'd probably go with the Switchblade. If I do a little of everything, including foiling/surfing/freesurf (kick flips and strapless airs, etc...), I'd pick the Moto. Hope that helps.

And yes...I sell these and many others. :)

SENDIT!
These users thanked the author SENDIT! for the post (total 2):
Tony in FL (Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:58 pm) • buzzz (Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:09 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

caduo
Medium Poster
Gear: cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Postby caduo » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:57 pm

have not tried bigger sizes ,but in 7 and 10 ,moto has the same low end as the sb,only feels lighter and more pleasant in hands.
These users thanked the author caduo for the post:
Tony in FL (Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:58 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Jake-Skymonster
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Longniddry, Scotland
Gear: Cabrinha FX / Moto / Contra
Core GTS / XR / Nexus
Ozone Edge
Peter Lynn Swell
Brand Affiliation: www.skymonster.com

Postby Jake-Skymonster » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:33 pm

Tony in FL wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:58 pm
The Cabrinha charts show the same wind ranges for both of these kites. But my limited experience suggests the upper range of the Moto may be higher than the Switchblade. This make me wonder if the low end of the Moto may not be quite as good as the Switchblade. I need to try the Moto at the lower end of its respective wind range.

I enjoyed my session on this kite. It seemed to provide nice, floaty jumps and it turned much faster than a 14M Switchblade. The bar pressure seemed higher than I would have expected. But perhaps this was due to riding the 14M in reasonably strong winds for that size kite. I am hoping to hear more feedback from others who have demoed or who own a Moto.
Moto has a better top end if you're not a beast looking for superpowers in high winds to knock the WOO records. On the low end it feels like it has a bit less power than Switchblade but because it's lighter (3 struts vs 5 struts) and faster you can quickly make up for it. Also, if you're foiling in light winds the Moto drifts very well and relaunches easier than SB too (again, lighter kite). So if you're doing a bit of everything go with Moto, if your main game is cruising and boosting then a Switchblade will work better.
These users thanked the author Jake-Skymonster for the post:
Tony in FL (Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:01 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

harryhirn
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Brunotti Mystic
Been thanked: 0

Postby harryhirn » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:13 pm

anyone can compare it to the bandit?

Jake-Skymonster
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Longniddry, Scotland
Gear: Cabrinha FX / Moto / Contra
Core GTS / XR / Nexus
Ozone Edge
Peter Lynn Swell
Brand Affiliation: www.skymonster.com

Postby Jake-Skymonster » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:54 am

harryhirn wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:13 pm
anyone can compare it to the bandit?
Mate, totally different kites. If you want to go big, loop and go nuts - Bandit is a very capable kite. If you want something well behaved that will get you riding on a TT, Surfboard and Foil but also works for unhooking, loops and boosts - Moto or Nexus are your best friends :)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:16 am

THOR_NADO wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:54 pm
I believe you have many more options for buying a kite in US compared to northern europe. If I want to try a kite today I need to go 250km and to do it in cold water with ice and Snow.
For me I need to do some training in april, but I want to have all the gear ready to use then. Not needing to wait 4weeks due to low stock... Yes we have a short summer and I do not want to wait then when I want to be on the water. I know this is completely wrong, every one tells me so. But What can I do, I know that a SB never can be wrong but should i go for the Moto instead

Hmmm, I dont think this is correct, quite opposite.

Having been on this forum for its full lifetime (around 20 years), it is in US most got problems, and often write about it, because they dont have access to nearly the same amount of brands, as we got here in Europe.

So we are "lucky" as it is easier for us to get kites :D

8) Peter

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:12 pm

SENDIT! wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:44 pm

I rode the Contra 15, Moto 14, and Switchblade 14 all back to back. The winds were light and I was on a Stylus 160 (235 pies here). When I went from the Contra to the Moto, I felt a little less powered, but could tell that the kite was more responsive/faster turning. It jumped fine, if maybe not as floaty as some others out there, but nothing like the cannonball drop you get with a surf kite. It felt pretty normal to me. When I went from the Moto to the Switchblade, I suddenly felt like I had a little more low end grunt. The bar pressure was maybe a smidge more, but that's tough to say. I also felt like the Moto may have been just a tad more responsive/faster turning, but again, pretty close.

I think in this case, if I were cruising around in light wind all the time on a twin tip, I'd pick the Contra. If I were out there in good wind, trying to set a new personal best on a Woo, I'd probably go with the Switchblade. If I do a little of everything, including foiling/surfing/freesurf (kick flips and strapless airs, etc...), I'd pick the Moto. Hope that helps.

SENDIT!
Thats great comparison although I’m surprised that Moto 14 had less low end power than sb since it is a heavier kite. Maybe in LW Moto sits further on the edge or wind windows since it’s ligher kite? SB looks to have higher AR hence it will deal with high end winds better than Moto I’m guessing.
It would interesting to know if you could go up wind better on Moto or sb in LW?

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:03 pm

SolarSet wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:12 pm
SENDIT! wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:44 pm

SENDIT!
Thats great comparison although I’m surprised that Moto 14 had less low end power than sb since it is a heavier kite. Maybe in LW Moto sits further on the edge or wind windows since it’s ligher kite? SB looks to have higher AR hence it will deal with high end winds better than Moto I’m guessing.
It would interesting to know if you could go up wind better on Moto or sb in LW?
I think you have to consider that the Moto was essentially designed to fit the bill for Freeride, Freesurf, and Foiling. Certainly for the latter 2, you don't really need all that grunty power. Especially if you're on a strapless board and don't want to get yanked off in turns. That's why it turns a little better and doesn't have quite the low end that the SB does. As for going up wind, I did it fine enough on the Moto. I just felt a bit a more power on the SB, so it was a little easier. I was riding in very light wind, probably close to their limits, so probably even LESS issue riding closer to their optimal range.

SENDIT!

Return to “Kitesurfing”