Ozone Edge
Peter Lynn Swell
Brand Affiliation: www.skymonster.com
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha Moto

Postby Jake-Skymonster » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:42 am

rleshem wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:08 am
Thanks that’s helpful! Have you tried the newer drifters on a twintip - do they boost well ? If Moto is 8/10 are they similar or more like 5/10?
I can also keep the switchblades for pure boosting days and get a drifter for strapless and some hooked in free ride.
Yeah dude, we've had them as demo (we usually have a good selection of kites to test in Scotland) - they are superb for strapless and foiling (just as Ozone Reo and Section 2) but just OK on a twin tip. They can boost but they will drop you if you sheet out too much ;) Unless your sessions is 90% strapless/foil and 10% TT I'd still go with either Nexus/Moto/Enduro rather than a dedicated wave kite. You'll have plenty more fun across the range loosing not too much of drift for surfing.

Here's a super short clip of what happens when you give a Drifter to a Twintipper in gusty 35kt on one of our demo days ;)

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:11 am

Jake, thanks very much for good info.

Have you ridden Nexus, Enduro and Moto in 12-14m sizes and which has the best low end if the is being worked so not just the based by the pure grunt, please? This comparison would be great!

Jake-Skymonster
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Longniddry, Scotland
Gear: Cabrinha FX / Moto / Contra
Core GTS / XR / Nexus
Ozone Edge
Peter Lynn Swell

Postby Jake-Skymonster » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:20 am

I've only had the Nexus in 9m and compared to 9m Moto they were pretty much the same in that regard. Enduro V2 has maybe a bit less of low-end but it's marginal. It's a tough call bud, they're all 3 great all rounders. If it's the light wind kite you're after then the LW version of Nexus is really nice too, it's built lighter than the other two and it's pretty damn quick for its size.
These users thanked the author Jake-Skymonster for the post:
omg (Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:39 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

THOR_NADO
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Land of the Vikings
Gear: Non
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby THOR_NADO » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:54 pm

I believe you have many more options for buying a kite in US compared to northern europe. If I want to try a kite today I need to go 250km and to do it in cold water with ice and Snow.
For me I need to do some training in april, but I want to have all the gear ready to use then. Not needing to wait 4weeks due to low stock... Yes we have a short summer and I do not want to wait then when I want to be on the water. I know this is completely wrong, every one tells me so. But What can I do, I know that a SB never can be wrong but should i go for the Moto instead

Jake-Skymonster
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Longniddry, Scotland
Gear: Cabrinha FX / Moto / Contra
Core GTS / XR / Nexus
Ozone Edge
Peter Lynn Swell

Postby Jake-Skymonster » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:57 pm

THOR_NADO wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:54 pm
I believe you have many more options for buying a kite in US compared to northern europe. If I want to try a kite today I need to go 250km and to do it in cold water with ice and Snow.
For me I need to do some training in april, but I want to have all the gear ready to use then. Not needing to wait 4weeks due to low stock... Yes we have a short summer and I do not want to wait then when I want to be on the water. I know this is completely wrong, every one tells me so. But What can I do, I know that a SB never can be wrong but should i go for the Moto instead
If you boost a lot and you rarely jump on anything else, then the Switchblade is insanely good match.

If you do a mix of TT/Surf/Foil then definitely the Moto.

We've got stock of both and we ship to the Land of the Vikings too :)
These users thanked the author Jake-Skymonster for the post:
THOR_NADO (Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:44 pm)

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Postby mikelet » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:11 pm

First sesion today on my Moto 14m in 15/18 knots with TT ( f One Trax 140*45) get out of the water with a big grin on my face , can not desagree more with people in this thread saying it's weird , not drifts , not hang time and light bar pressure ...my ass!
Don't know what winds , bar setup or knots at the pigtails you used guys but i found a super nimble kite, that it 's fast turning ,i would say more fastest turning than my SB 12m and alot more than replaced Contra 15m. Upwind without effort at all , again better than the Contra. To me this kite it's what always FX it should be , a good crossover !! . Regarding bar pressure i would say medium but not light at all , it's true it's a bit less than SB but again not light i can feel the kite anytime anyplace in the wind window, feels intuitive....That said it's true that Cabrinha big kites , probably due to big diameter LE 's have more bar pressure than the smaller sizes
It happened to me in the SB's that the 9m and specially the 7m feels way more lighter in the bar that if you close your eyes ,you probably don't realize you are flying a SB...Maybe that's the case people trying the 9m and smaller sizes Motos...
Enjoied the sesion making some jumps ,grabs and transitions and i would say it boosts almost as good as an FX , fast turning speed makes for a good height jumps , hangtime it's more than OK ,you don't fall as a rock like on a wave dedicated kite...I feel at home from minute one jumping with the Moto 14m,found the Contra 15m to be more dificult on the timing...
About drifting abilities, i can not say much cause i was riding on a TT , but the couple of jumps with big downwind yank and turning to toeside ,the kite behaves perfectly waiting you there ready to go ,not falling from the sky not in a hurry to the edge of the wind window, just there in the right place...Can not wait to try it with my surfboards.....
Last i would say the kite construction it feels pretty solid in the air , good diameter of struts and 2 battens in the middle plus good dracon frame at the ears ,makes for a rigid kite in the air , that's common to all Cabrinha kites imho ...As an example i ditched all my old Ozone Enduros cause i don't feel the same rigidity flying them ,going for lighter and lighter kites it's not always good for heavy riders...

Resuming, i'm so happy with the kite and probably will add some more size to my quiver in the near future...
These users thanked the author mikelet for the post:
THOR_NADO (Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:44 pm)

THOR_NADO
Rare Poster

Postby THOR_NADO » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:50 pm

Thanks Mikelet, great review. If you were to buy you first 9m and 12 m, should you go for the Moto or the switchblade after your test?

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:37 pm

Thanks Mikelet for your review! What year again was your 15 contra, please?

mikelet
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: Yes
Brand Affiliation: No

Postby mikelet » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:33 pm

Mmmmmm, I would say with either of them you will not regret ...That said i'm hooked on the SB feeling ...my search of a 5 strut platform kite ,not to high not to low AR , with more projected área than a bridled C kite and kind of crossover it narrowed to SB's at the end...
SB's always had dragged the etiquette of beginner kites ...not truth imho ! , These kites can be a sheep in hands of a begginer, or a wolf in hands of an imtermediate / expert . You will find awsome upwind if not the better in the market in such medium AR kite , very good stability and gust handling , so much power controlled and on demand , and you will probably never outgrow the kite....not me either after kiting more than 15 years .
I even also love strapped waveriding sesions in the 9m and 7m sizes ...over 25 knots Drift means nothing , every medium AR kite will drift decently well.....
So , yes i would go with SB 's if i were you for the simple reason over others listed above ,that if there's wind you can park your kite and sheet in and go ....
Why i get the Moto 14m then ??
Cause i ride almost half year in hot air summer LW brezees where any weight reduction ( 5 to 3 struts) of my big kite and added drift -ability it's welcomed for waveriding ,i thought Contra 15m will do the job but it has no drift and gets early overpowered ,so Moto it's the ticket and liked it so much that it will probably replace my Reos in the future...
Hope it helps

THOR_NADO
Rare Poster

Postby THOR_NADO » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:42 pm

Thanks Mikelet, that is exactly what I have read in all the other reviews. Ill think I will go for the Switchblade since I get the feeling that it is more the type of riding I will do.

Return to “Kitesurfing”