Forum for kitesurfers
Speedster
Rare Poster
Gear: Blade, Cabrinha, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2019 Watches

Postby Speedster » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:58 am

Hi Alex, thanks a lot for the feedback!

I was actually referring to the huawei watch 2, not to the GT2.
The older non GT version seems to be the only one that supports a physical sim card.

To me this is an important feature so that the watch can be used to make calls in case of need. Always nice to justify a new toy under the excuse that it is safety equipment! Haha

I prefer to avoid E SIM as i just use my company phone and can’t really add stuff to the package. I mustn’t be the only one as some carriers don’t even support E SIM and when they do usually charge extra. Having an independent SIM on a basic pre-paid scheme is just much simpler for rare use in case of emergency

vol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa Spain
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa Spain, Prassonisi Rhodes, Brazil Taiba-Cumbucu-Paracuru
Style: hydrofoil, bigair, freestyle
Gear: Saul Custom Boards

Postby vol » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:45 am

Any woo app for garmin watch?

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:18 pm

vol wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:45 am
Any woo app for garmin watch?
No, OS and Garmin don't allow it.

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Postby alkiter » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:24 pm

alexrider wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:58 pm

If I have a GPS watch to recommend above all the others, it would definitely the Locosys GW-60, which offers the following advantages over the major brands: Doppler GPS, 5 Hz fix rate (all the others do 1 fix/sec), doesn't need to be connected to internet to transfer your track to your computer for further analysis, which is rather nice when you're in a remote island or a Himalayan trek without internet connection.
Cheers

Does the GW-60 have Tide data?

Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite

Postby Alysum » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:34 pm

I'm looking for a GPS watch too. But most seem incredibly bulky such as Garmin Fenix.

The new Suunto 7 is out at the end of the month and is based on Wear OS. Keen to see the reviews once it's out.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:50 pm

Alysum wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:34 pm
I'm looking for a GPS watch too. But most seem incredibly bulky such as Garmin Fenix.

The new Suunto 7 is out at the end of the month and is based on Wear OS. Keen to see the reviews once it's out.
Maybe they will do better with Wear OS, but just about every version I have tried is poor. The Polar M600 being the best so far and quite workable. The Garmin Fenix 3 I have is a very good device....more of an instrument than a watch.

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:58 pm

cwood wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:50 pm
Alysum wrote:

Maybe they will do better with Wear OS, but just about every version I have tried is poor. The Polar M600 being the best so far and quite workable. The Garmin Fenix 3 I have is a very good device....more of an instrument than a watch.
I also use a Polar M600. The watch itself is not particularly "beautiful" and its design doesn't appeal to every one. But except that, it is a very good and effective watch.
First of all, you can use it for many sports (running, bike, ski, rowing...) and of course kitesurf.
Because it is a Wear OS watch, it is compatible with the Woo and therefore you can read your jump height during the session (on the water).
If economy mode is activated (no GPS, no Bluetooth), the battery lasts a week.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Moses Hydrofoil

Postby cwood » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:02 pm

Baptiste_FR wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:58 pm
cwood wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:50 pm
Alysum wrote:

I also use a Polar M600. The watch itself is not particularly "beautiful" and its design doesn't appeal to every one. But except that, it is a very good and effective watch.
First of all, you can use it for many sports (running, bike, ski, rowing...) and of course kitesurf.
Because it is a Wear OS watch, it is compatible with the Woo and therefore you can read your jump height during the session (on the water).
If economy mode is activated (no GPS, no Bluetooth), the battery lasts a week.
I could never get it to work beyond one woo reading per session before it would freeze. Gave it to my GF and she has used it for tracking all other kinds of sporting activities. Agreed it seems to work well.

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:15 pm

I could never get it to work beyond one woo reading per session before it would freeze. Gave it to my GF and she has used it for tracking all other kinds of sporting activities. Agreed it seems to work well.

It happened to me once. But except that one session, works fine with Woo.
You also have to deactivate the option "screen always active". Because, if activated, every time you turn your wrist, the watch switch the screen to the "normal time screen".

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:36 pm

alkiter wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:24 pm
alexrider wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:58 pm

If I have a GPS watch to recommend above all the others, it would definitely the Locosys GW-60, which offers the following advantages over the major brands: Doppler GPS, 5 Hz fix rate (all the others do 1 fix/sec), doesn't need to be connected to internet to transfer your track to your computer for further analysis, which is rather nice when you're in a remote island or a Himalayan trek without internet connection.
Cheers

Does the GW-60 have Tide data?
No. Purely a tracking device. I never check tides whilst riding...
BTW, a good universal tide prediction program (has Android app as well):
http://wxtide32.com
These users thanked the author alexrider for the post:
alkiter (Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:28 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”