Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

2019 Watches

Forum for kitesurfers
vol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa Spain
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa Spain, Prassonisi Rhodes, Brazil Taiba-Cumbucu-Paracuru
Style: hydrofoil, bigair, freestyle
Gear: Saul Custom Boards

Re: 2019 Watches

Postby vol » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:08 pm

aleks wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:08 pm
vol wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:01 pm
Fenix 5 x now 350eur 😉
Exactly :D . 350EUR is $500CAD for me :(
I will pay for woo garmin app, and I guess not only me, soon you will get money for fenix 6 😁

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Postby aleks » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:29 am

vol wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:08 pm
aleks wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:08 pm
vol wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:01 pm
Fenix 5 x now 350eur 😉
Exactly :D . 350EUR is $500CAD for me :(
I will pay for woo garmin app, and I guess not only me, soon you will get money for fenix 6 😁
Don't throw your Nixon watch away yet - Woo Screen app is almost ready for Android watches :D :

vol
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa Spain, Prassonisi Rhodes, Brazil Taiba-Cumbucu-Paracuru

Postby vol » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:10 am

Looks cool but the main reason is nixon not work in water 😂 not possible to manage touch screen while is wet and fingers wet.. So shame on Nixon because is surfers brand and they didn't make control with buttons, I don't know how other brands but I hear same problem, so what is benefit of new app if you cannot use it during session? I guess another problem will be with new app, because water drips also manage screen will be so mess there ...

Baptiste_FR
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Normandy
Style: Freeride
Gear: Slingshot Rally (12-9-7m²)

Postby Baptiste_FR » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:57 am

vol wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:10 am
Looks cool but the main reason is nixon not work in water 😂 not possible to manage touch screen while is wet and fingers wet.. So shame on Nixon because is surfers brand and they didn't make control with buttons, I don't know how other brands but I hear same problem, so what is benefit of new app if you cannot use it during session? I guess another problem will be with new app, because water drips also manage screen will be so mess there ...
I have a Polar M600 and it is not easy to use the touch screen with gloves. If I have to, I sometimes use my nose :rollgrin: . You'll have the same problem with all smartwatch.
But when the Woo App is active, I don't need to touch anything. The objective is to see the height real-time and it works great.

vol
Frequent Poster

Postby vol » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:09 am

Yes currently woo app locking screen and no problem with water drips but you can see on new app more options you can adjust that's mean screen is no more locked...

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:00 pm

I released the app for Android Wear OS watches today (minimum requirement Wear OS 2.0):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .wooscreen

You don't need to interact with the watch while you are riding - most useful information is on the main screen. The screen stays on all the time, except for when the watch is submerged in water. Android considers it a palm gesture and turns the screen off, but it turns back (on the app screen) either after a few seconds or after you tilt or touch the watch. I recommend turning off "Always-on screen" option in watch settings - otherwise you might see watch face displayed for a short period of time before it switches back to the app.

I took some precautions against accidental touches. If you just touch the screen, nothing will happen. To get to settings, you need to double tap. To switch to the secondary info screen (and back to main), you need to swipe up or down, or press any non-power button (if your watch has them).

BenBen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Northern Germany
Gear: Slingshot Rally, Naish Pivot, Airush Lithium, Crazyfly Raptor
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BenBen » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:49 pm

Is there a list of watches, which are confirmed to work with your app? I'm looking for a cheap, maybe chinese, solution. I don't need a smartwatch for anything else. So a little GPS and the woo app would be just fine for me.

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:37 pm

BenBen wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:49 pm
Is there a list of watches, which are confirmed to work with your app? I'm looking for a cheap, maybe chinese, solution. I don't need a smartwatch for anything else. So a little GPS and the woo app would be just fine for me.
I regularly test the app on 4 different watches:

Fossil Sport
Huawei Watch 2
Nixon Mission
Polar M600

The cheapest one now is Fossil Sport ($99). Technically, any watch with Wear OS 2 will work. Once in a while there can be a problem (someone with Asus ZenWatch 2 reported one today), but if you contact me and help me diagnose it, I'm certain it will work on any model :D . In fact, I'd appreciate if everyone who has a problem with the app contacted me and helped me to diagnose it, so I can fix any leftover bugs. I can't test the app on all watches on the market myself :(

Stay away from Chinese watches that run on pure Android, not Wear OS. Those are not compatible at all.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:56 pm

Baptiste_FR wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:57 am
I have a Polar M600 and it is not easy to use the touch screen with gloves. If I have to, I sometimes use my nose :rollgrin: .
Dang, I wish I'd thought of my nose instead of what I've been using. Now I'm not allowed back in my favorite park! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

aleks
Frequent Poster

Postby aleks » Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:20 pm

SENDIT! wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:56 pm
Baptiste_FR wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:57 am
I have a Polar M600 and it is not easy to use the touch screen with gloves. If I have to, I sometimes use my nose :rollgrin: .
Dang, I wish I'd thought of my nose instead of what I've been using. Now I'm not allowed back in my favorite park! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
With Polar M600 you can run and control Woo Screen app without ever touching the display. Just assign front button to launch the app! Same button is also used to switch screens in the app :D . But I guess it's too late, it won't help you with your park access :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Kitesurfing”