Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New f-one bar ripped apart while riding, what to expect from manufacturer?

Forum for kitesurfers
SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New f-one bar ripped apart while riding, what to expect from manufacturer?

Postby SolarSet » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:18 pm

F-one seems to have quality issues more frequently than other brands from what I see. There is a mention about Manera EXO harness hook snapping here on forum, I have seen f-one bar metal parts rusting after 2 weeks trip (http://www.kiteforum.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=73763). There is too much choice of other brands to gamble with one having quality issues imho.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:52 pm

They knew there was/is a problem and didn’t inform their customers? Life is too short and this sport is already too dangerous to ride with sub par gear from an uncaring company. LOTS of other choices.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:00 pm

Use your finger to check the hole in the bar. See if there are rough edges, or parts that are sharp. Remember it doesn't have to cut your finger to be sharp when the is enough load.

stiefu
Rare Poster
Gear: FONE Kite & Bar, North Jaime and Pro Whip GSC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby stiefu » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:54 am

tautologies wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:00 pm
Use your finger to check the hole in the bar. See if there are rough edges, or parts that are sharp. Remember it doesn't have to cut your finger to be sharp when the is enough load.
There is nothing sharp inside the bar. The accident happend during a downwinder and we even checked the gear before we started the trip, so I can be sure that there were no sharp edges.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:33 pm

It appears that something at the stopper ball eroded or cut thru both lines. I assume you checked the hardware at or near the stopper ball for any sharp edges. Also, I'd compare the new parts with the cut lines and make sure the new parts won't fail.

GTC
Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish

Postby GTC » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:14 pm

I do paragliding (still a newbie) and I can assure you that it is inconceivable that a company has issues in any of its products.
In kitesurfing it's a different story...

Kiterisland
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kite, Twin tip

Postby Kiterisland » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:59 pm

GTC wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:14 pm
I do paragliding (still a newbie) and I can assure you that it is inconceivable that a company has issues in any of its products.
In kitesurfing it's a different story...
Same thing with climbing gear. If there is ever any sort of recall they make sure to reach all customers. With climbing gear, paragliding gear, work safety equipment etc, all have safety standard organizations set up with strict guidelines to follow. Kiteboarding equipment is viewed like a toy in comparison unfortunalty.

Found this on one site talking about safety standards for rock climbing...
more climbers, accidents, & $$$, lead to more attention to standards
• mid 60s, rope testing
• early 70s, UIAA safety commission • 70s and 80s, research & standards • 90s CEN, ASTM, etc.
research and standards effectively reduce “equipment failure” to zero.

swollox
Rare Poster
Style: crap
Gear: old old stuff
Has thanked: 0

Postby swollox » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:51 pm

Sorry for thread resurrection but was searching ASTM on this forum as they've just created a new watersports committee as described in the post above by Kiterisland (albeit in a different sport.... climbing)...

https://www.astm.org/standardization-ne ... s-underway

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:44 pm

Fake news?
I never had a single issue with f-one!

I also never tried one to be 100% fair but for sake of meeting my high demands and satisfaction I don't think I should try one.

Return to “Kitesurfing”