Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fukushima - isn't it time we started worrying?

Forum for kitesurfers
John Doe
Medium Poster
Gear: The cheap kind.

Re: Fukushima - isn't it time we started worrying?

Postby John Doe » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:01 am

I think people enjoy being scared as the facts don't support any cause for concern.

From Woods Hole Oceanographic Study, specifically on Fukushima radiation spreading throughout the Pacific,

"The highest levels of cesium (10 Bq/m3) attributable to Fukushima that we have measured were found 1,500 miles north of Hawaii. Swimming every day in the ocean there would still result in a dose 1,000 time smaller than the radiation we receive with a single dental x-ray. Not zero, but still very low. "

Entire article here. http://www.whoi.edu/page.do?pid=127297

Donniehall14
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Point/Princeton Point, Robinson's Island
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8M Takoon Chrono
10M Ocean Rodeo Razor
12 Switch Nitro
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Donniehall14 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:05 am

caldicotthandwaving.jpg
caldicotthandwaving.jpg (32.72 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
CaptainCore wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:55 pm
Jesus H Kerist the fake news you yanks swallow, no wonder nobody is complaining.. Here in Europe we're still suffering the increased Cancer rates from Chernobyl, I hate to ruin your day but Fukushima has kicked out 100 times what Chernobyl did and they still haven't even got a lid on it so they can start to remove the fuel rods..

Eating a banana FFS -really.

I didn't now Helen Caldicott went under the name "Captain Core" and was a kitesurfer. Wasn't worth my time responding.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:18 am

I live and kite in Japan and I'm still more concerned about the long-term health effects of solar radiation...

Where exactly are you getting your concern for this from? Cos the experts aren't worried, so unless you've got some inside information -- are you just going with your feelings?

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:24 am

Since you know that this impressively colourful map is totally irrelevant to radiation, and was only used to fool the ignorant masses who can't read a key properly, please explain why you felt the need to include it in your argumentation.

Sure we need to be worried, but we also need to understand the proper facts, rationally.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:14 am

bAL GODZILLA.jpg

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:17 am

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:52 am

CaptainCore wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:25 pm
...... if in your peurile halfwitted mind.....

Oh and try a bit harder with the spelling eh?
Lets just get the spelling bee out of the way right now. It is puerile, not 'peurile'. And it is "half-witted" not 'halfwitted'. Not that I care about your spelling skills, but you started this one.

CaptainCore wrote:
What? You don't I wouldn't have been on one of those boats trying to prevent that?
What, exactly are you trying to say? Do I need a few drinks to dumb me down to understand that one? Seriously, what are you saying by that?

CaptainCore wrote:
......if in your peurile halfwitted mind you thought this was an attack on the US, you're sadly mistaken, I have many friends who ride in Oregon, Pistol River etc You think I take joy from all this? You really are a sad helpless troll.
and
CaptainCore wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:55 pm
Jesus H Kerist the fake news you yanks swallow, no wonder nobody is complaining.......
So...........These two quotes from you in the same thread. Are the guys in Hood River and Pistol not "yanks", as you put it? Who do you think are the "yanks" that are swallowing the fake news???

I do not think you are as loved in HR and Pistol as you think you are.

CaptainCore wrote:
The Irish sea is one of the most radioactive, but they stopped doing that, public pressure stopped it.
Nope, this one you can credit directly to Greenpeace, and not public pressure - pressure as in the 'concern of the people of Brittan'. The British people would have had no idea of what their government was doing, had it not been for a few informants and Greenpeace. And I bet those 'informants' are in some of those barrels being kept nice and warm by the other nuclear waste at the bottom of the North sea. The (Greenpeace) video I posted a link to was what the world saw, back when there was still 'pseudo' freedom of press in Brittan. Had it not been for that video, the Brits (without the public's knowledge) would still be dumping the waste in the North Sea.

So, good thing "they" stopped that, from "public" pressure, as you say. That makes it all better, right? Just like when they 'fix" Fukushima, it will be all ok there too?

CaptainCore wrote:
There have even been attempts to clean it up albeit too little to late, what I don't see is anything like enough urgency or pressure being applied to Japan to get a move on in shutting it all down.
Let's do a thought exercise! Hypothetically, if Dungeness A and B get hit by a freak tsunami, and are sent into a state of meltdown like Fukushima, who do you think the Brits are going to call for the robotic technology to even figure out where the control rods are? Maybe Japan? And just a side note, Japan was the world leader in the robotic technology before Fukushima. And even after more robotic R&D specifically for the Fukushima accident, their robots still do not remain functional for long enough to do anything about the issue, other than show where it is.

So, if as it says in your profile "Gods own Core"....

Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core GTS4 & XR5
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core. (underline and bold added by Matteo V)

..... could you contact those Gods and see if they can do anything about this problem. Because as of now, there is nothing that any human being, group of human beings, or any COREporation or government on this Earth, can do about this problem. Robots frickin die with just a few hours of exposure to the conditions at the Fukushima plants CORE. But maybe your "Gods" could help out.

CaptainCore wrote:
It's Captain and should be followed by Sir.
For this you get a rare emoji from me. :lol:

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Postby CaptainCore » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:07 pm

bragnouff wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:24 am
Since you know that this impressively colourful map is totally irrelevant to radiation, and was only used to fool the ignorant masses who can't read a key properly, please explain why you felt the need to include it in your argumentation.

Sure we need to be worried, but we also need to understand the proper facts, rationally.
Well, like all things it started in the pub with an old boy knowing I travel and sail all over, wondering if I was concerned, which like most folk I wasn't. I haven't been to Japan in ages, nor the West Coast of the US since 2014 and I had no Pacific plans in the immediate future even though SWMBO wants to revisit Hawaii. So I started a bit of googling it being Xmas, no wind and I was bored. The first thing that sprang up ironically was the Irish Sea where I'd just been two weeks earlier on a kite demo, so that went down well, but back to the picture. I thought it gave an overly dramatic view, but is quite eye catching and serves its purpose which was to attempt to tease out some facts. Lots of folk on this forum are quite clever and some a hell of a lot better informed than me and lets face it we all have a vested interest in keeping our playground as clean and as pleasant as possible.

Most of my research just revealed conspiracy theory type stuff, the Israelis destroying the place because it supplied enriched uranium to Iran I thought was the classic..

But seriously I've been around a while, and cancer levels seem to be at an all time high, the number of friends and acquaintances that have departed this mortal coil recently ex windsurfers mostly is upsetting, and in other walks of life also. So things like this do tend to enrage and if there seems to be even a hint of a cover up then it makes it worse and the world seems to have stopped talking about Fukushima yet it's still going on.

I know the half life of seizium 134 is only what two years and the levels of 137 are not yet that great, but Trinium? We don't seem to know much about its long term affects and I think as kitesurfers we should be talking about it without becoming too irrational, so yes I used that pic, but I did point out it wasn't what it seems at first and I'm hoping someone else might bring us something more accurate, more to support the argument that we should be concerned, rather than the opposite. However if the opposite is true, then it's a win win thread, either way worth a discussion.

That's what forums do.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:32 pm

Sir wrote:I know the half life of [s]seizium[/s] caesium ...
ftfy
Sir wrote:But seriously I've been around a while, and cancer levels seem to be at an all time high, the number of friends and acquaintances that have departed this mortal coil recently ex windsurfers mostly is upsetting, and in other walks of life also.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:10 pm

bragnouff wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:24 am
Wait, you mean radiation levels aren't measured in centimeters?!?!?!??

/s

Return to “Kitesurfing”