Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fukushima - isn't it time we started worrying?

Forum for kitesurfers
marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Re: Fukushima - isn't it time we started worrying?

Postby marlboroughman » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:19 pm

Low level radiation scare is over.
Landmark paper:
Japanese atomic bomb survivors live longer, have less cancer
https://junkscience.com/wp-content/uplo ... 0114-3.pdf
nagasaki.png

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Postby CaptainCore » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:22 pm

marlboroughman wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:19 pm
Low level radiation scare is over.
Landmark paper:
Japanese atomic bomb survivors live longer, have less cancer
https://junkscience.com/wp-content/uplo ... 0114-3.pdf
nagasaki.png
Allelujah, we're all safe... Thanks Marlboroughman, I'll cease worrying.

Er... just a thought, how's it going with the smoking? Lots of suggestions that it's not good for you and premature deaths of other Marlboroughmen and women seem to support that?

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:14 pm

CaptainCore wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:22 pm
Er... just a thought, how's it going with the smoking? Lots of suggestions that it's not good for you and premature deaths of other Marlboroughmen and women seem to support that?
Indeed... even second hand smoking is terrible. Here is a map of how cigarette smoke from Japan is dispersed.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:00 am

CaptainCore wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:22 pm
I don't smoke but knowing that there is no carcinogenic or toxic effect of second-hand smoke I learned to tolerate smokers, at least outside.
Last edited by marlboroughman on Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby marlboroughman » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:07 am

Next stop: Plastics

Greenpeace Co-Founder: "The sea of plastic is a fiction. The ultimate in Fake News"
http://1ggye33lc4653z56mp34pl6t.wpengin ... %80%9D.pdf

k2thiago
Medium Poster
Style: Big Air, Freeride, Photography
Gear: Core XR5
Nexus
Harlem Light
Shinn Bronq

Postby k2thiago » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:10 am

marlboroughman wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:07 am
Next stop: Plastics

Greenpeace Co-Founder: "The sea of plastic is a fiction. The ultimate in Fake News"
http://1ggye33lc4653z56mp34pl6t.wpengin ... %80%9D.pdf
Besides i don't trust Greenpeace at all, and had few experiences with the organization that led me to that, this "report" is a completely bullshit. I've spent the last 13 years exclusively studying and working on the oceans, from the brazilian coastal waters to the middle of the Atlantic, offshore Africa, Canada, Asian waters... you name it. And no, I am not an ecoboy, my clients are in majority Oil & Gas and engineering companies, and I can confirm that amount of plastic in the Oceans is a real and big problem not only for the environment, but also for different economical activities. Is such a serious concern that some companies are investing in the development of technologies to start cleaning up at least the upper level of the oceans, as the bottom is almost impossible right now. There are patches of plastic following the big ocean currents, and some of them get trapped in eddies, thus forming floating islands in some parts of the ocean. Thats not fiction, its a fact. Saying that is as big as the Texas, is an exageration in terms: it is not that big in a continuous surface, but the sum of the patches around the globe can easily reach a similar area. That's how data/information can be distorted, is quite easy to say that there is no satellite image of this amount of garbage... of course not, if is scattered an big part of it is floating at mid level. One of the vessels that I've worked was 100m long to 70m wide, and we passed near to this patches more than on time, and the patches could easily have five times our size. It poses a real hazard to the navigation and to our operations as a whole.
In my opinion, reducing the use of single use plastics definitely is the easiest, most efective and cheapest way that anyone can contribute to mitigate this issue.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:32 am

There are no less than 270,000,000 kilograms of plastic in the ocean, which is about half a billion pounds plus of plastic. So … is this a big number or a small number?

roninXpl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sopot, Poland
Gear: Core XR5 11m+9m, XR4 7m, Sensor 2S Pro, Carved Imperator VI, NHP Carbon Split, Airush Ultra II 12m, FS Speed2 13m.

Postby roninXpl » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:31 am

This https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-25/ ... ge/9193488

“The water is being stored in about 900 large and densely packed tanks at the plant, which was overwhelmed by a devastating tsunami more than six years ago.

Making matters worse, the amount of contaminated water held at Fukushima is still growing by 150 tons a day.”

I’ve read somewhere they’ve been planning to dump the tanks to some ocean trench.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:17 am

Matteo V wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:49 am
downunder wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:06 am
Yeah,

But hey, Matty is just visiting this Euro (German) forum in the absence of decent US one. He doesn’t spellcheck Toby, does he? ;)

Which says everything...
Well no reply from Cappy on the lifejacket shaming thing so......

Downsy,

You do know this is an international forum, right? I mean did you read the original post? Let me lay out this topic alone:

1. On a forum owned by a German who primarily kites only in Brazil, a British poster posts about the Japanese Fukushima disaster which happened in an ocean that is as far away from Germany as possible. My assumption is that this is very much the best example of something international and not "Euro (German)" as you stated. So where did you get that, or what are you trying to say?

2. If this is a German forum, then what are you (Downsey) doing here? Do you kite at the world renowned kite destinations in Germany? Or are you origionally of German decent? Or do you have German citizenship?

Your-post-a-make-a-no-sense. Help us out here.
1. Let me repeat:
...And trying to dominate in every-single-conversation like Yanks usually do when overseas. ...

Not once you got the reply from euro readers who complained about your 2000 words reply, which u using as a tool and domination on others, but I would say you scaring ppl off as well.

2. I am the EU citizen, born and raised there, yes. You?

3. As mentioned, u do not spellcheck Toby. Or do you?

Greenturtle
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Favorite Beaches: Bahamian Cays
Gear: Edge 19, Flite 17, 14.5, 12, 10, 8, Cloud 13.4, 10.4, 8, 6.2, 3.7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:46 pm

downunder wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:17 am
Matteo V wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:49 am
downunder wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:06 am
Yeah,

But hey, Matty is just visiting this Euro (German) forum in the absence of decent US one. He doesn’t spellcheck Toby, does he? ;)

Which says everything...
Well no reply from Cappy on the lifejacket shaming thing so......

Downsy,

You do know this is an international forum, right? I mean did you read the original post? Let me lay out this topic alone:

1. On a forum owned by a German who primarily kites only in Brazil, a British poster posts about the Japanese Fukushima disaster which happened in an ocean that is as far away from Germany as possible. My assumption is that this is very much the best example of something international and not "Euro (German)" as you stated. So where did you get that, or what are you trying to say?

2. If this is a German forum, then what are you (Downsey) doing here? Do you kite at the world renowned kite destinations in Germany? Or are you origionally of German decent? Or do you have German citizenship?

Your-post-a-make-a-no-sense. Help us out here.
1. Let me repeat:
...And trying to dominate in every-single-conversation like Yanks usually do when overseas. ...

Not once you got the reply from euro readers who complained about your 2000 words reply, which u using as a tool and domination on others, but I would say you scaring ppl off as well.

2. I am the EU citizen, born and raised there, yes. You?

3. As mentioned, u do not spellcheck Toby. Or do you?
Your consistent anti-american sentiment and stereotyping is telling. Pushing people from a certain country to get off this forum is bullshit. Get a life dude.
Letting MatteoV get under your skin is your own fault.

Return to “Kitesurfing”