Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Open Palm Mitts and Pogies

Postby davesails7 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:30 pm

Was wondering what people's experience is with Open Palm Mitts and Pogies.

No one likes wearing gloves. Gloves are even more of a pain with foil kites if you need to self rescue or untangle bridles on the beach.

I don't usually go out when it's really cold anymore because foiling is colder with the additional apparent wind (and maybe I'm just getting old...). Our water gets down to 45F. I used to be out in air 30-40F, but now 45F is usually my limit.

When it's sunny and >50F I don't need gloves at all. Was thinking these open palmed mitts could get me down to 45F without any downsides of gloves.

These are the ones I'm looking at:
https://www.inlandsea.com/p-506-Neil-Pr ... oEQAvD_BwE

https://www.skatepro.com/en-us/188-2877 ... ekQAvD_BwE

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Re: Open Palm Mitts and Pogies

Postby or6 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:20 pm

Those NP mittens are the ones I've been using forever. You retain full feeling of the bar and kite, full control.

Just came off the water, it's around 45 F, air about 50. Hands were fine.

Another plus is you just sort of fold them away on your underarm when setting up etc.

They last forever.

Through the years I've tried different gloves, for the real cold weather, but I keep returning to mittens. Gloves give me burning underarms, somehow.

In short, get the mittens.

Regards, or6

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:51 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:30 pm
Was wondering what people's experience is with Open Palm Mitts and Pogies.

No one likes wearing gloves. Gloves are even more of a pain with foil kites if you need to self rescue or untangle bridles on the beach.

I don't usually go out when it's really cold anymore because foiling is colder with the additional apparent wind (and maybe I'm just getting old...). Our water gets down to 45F. I used to be out in air 30-40F, but now 45F is usually my limit.

When it's sunny and >50F I don't need gloves at all. Was thinking these open palmed mitts could get me down to 45F without any downsides of gloves.
Our water today was 6.5C which is less than 44F.

Always hated wearing gloves because they made my fingers go numb.

But now I just LOVE wearing my ION 3/2 Claw gloves because my hands are toasty with very little loss of feel.

https://www.ion-products.com/water/men/ ... gloves-32/

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:26 pm

I have low blood pressure so my hands/feet get pretty cold when I kite.

I have the NP Surf version of the 2 mm open palm glove and they are great for 10 degC and up.

But where I kite I'll go out in as low as -2 degC so for 9 degC and lower I use the NP Surf 3 Finger Mitt. They are toasty warm, it's never my hands that make me come off the water when wearing them. They are pre-curved and loose on the forearms so the arm pump is manageable.

Their dexterity is so good I do my full rig and derig wearing them. I literally put them on as I leave my car and take them off when I get back. The only downside is you have to repair all the wear on them every 4-5 sessions with Aquaseal.

This session was 3 degC air and 6 degC water:

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:20 am

I use them and love them.

I put them on and fold them back like the does at 0:47 I ride for an hour like that, then when I'm getting cold I flip them over.

I love them for doing lines, untangling lines, attaching pigtails. I have a massive fear of not being able to feel a line in a situation, or being able to untwist something or grab a line. I've had lines slip through gloved hands because I couldn't grip them hard enough.

The glove/mitt will fill with water so you want to have the wrist on the outside of your suit, this keeps the flushes out of your arms.

Also, when you are riding, take your front hand off the bar and place the hole over your mouth. Some long slow out breaths will warm your hand right up. Ball it into a fist to capture the warm air, then give your arm a swing and the blood will go back into your fingers. This really extends my session. If you get your nose into the mitt, you can warm that up too :)

Some sessions I don't pull them down, just have them there in case it gets cold.

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:46 pm

I've been using the open palm mitts for decades. They are great for all of the reasons outlined above. Just keep in mind though, if the water is on the colder side and you spend much time IN the water, they are about as warm as bare hands. They are great for the windchill though.

Peter

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:02 pm

I have been using open plams for twenty years. They are the perfect solution for the those borderline days. For me that's days in the 50sF or high 40sf, temps below that I will wear my 5mm NP lobster claws... Like others have said, being able to flip them back and out of they way till your hands get chilly is awesome. Well worth owning.

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:40 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:51 pm
Our water today was 6.5C which is less than 44F.

Always hated wearing gloves because they made my fingers go numb.

But now I just LOVE wearing my ION 3/2 Claw gloves because my hands are toasty with very little loss of feel.

https://www.ion-products.com/water/men/ ... gloves-32/

I have these exact gloves, I'm not as enamored with them, give me terrible forearm pump after 10 mins and I can't feel the bar as well.

It could be I just have weak forearms but I struggle with any glove seemingly.

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:13 pm

Beardytello,

I have 'forearm pump' with anything but the open palm mittens. It's not my arms; I have windsurfed since I was ten years old, and i've kited for twenty years now. Arms and grip are plenty strong.
These users thanked the author or6 for the post:
Beardytello (Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:55 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:56 pm

or6 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:13 pm
Beardytello,

I have 'forearm pump' with anything but the open palm mittens. It's not my arms; I have windsurfed since I was ten years old, and i've kited for twenty years now. Arms and grip are plenty strong.
Cheers, I'm sort of glad it's not just me! I'm gonna try me some mitts I reckon!

Return to “Kitesurfing”