Beduiin
Rare Poster
Gear: Eleveight/cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kitesurfing in Maui

Postby Beduiin » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:19 pm

Can someone can give me littlebit information of kitesurfing in maui.

1.Which size kites i need in maui if im there 4-18.02.19, i have read, that wind is not very good at this time.
2.Which beach in Maui has flatest water and good launching conditions
3.which beaches are the best there above all
4.how is weather Maui in February above all

thanks in advance😊

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Re: Kitesurfing in Maui

Postby ELI » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:02 pm

What is your weight? you can use from 5/6-12m depending ..weight ,board,weather. Wind can shift so flatest water can and will change.Most go to Kanaha ,launches there I think are great. February can be iffy, I hit it great 3 years ago 5-9mtr with a SB every day ,Big swell . 30 years ago I went in April, Great wind and big swell ,Small craft advisory everyday ,large surf advisory every day,Gale warnings offshore every day ... :). Its to be 10*f in NY on monday ,Its warm there

corykg
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bear Lake, AB
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach, Maui
Gear: OR Prodigy, Flite
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby corykg » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:49 pm

I'm heading there during the same time. The wind will be spotty but I'm expecting there will be a few days of good wind; the key is to get out on the windy days because there won't be too many. Kite size required is a bit of a tough question to answer as the wind cant be predicted but through January it hasn't been over 20kts much at all.

For me at 190lbs I will be bringing my 12m kite (maybe a 17 although that's pretty rare on Maui as they are all used to great wind during the other months of the year) and renting a board as needed. There is always the possibility to rent kites of different sizes as the wind dictates. Multiple shops do rentals.

Kanaha/kite beach by the airport is the main spot, no kitesurfing until after 11am (to respect the needs of other water users).
Kihei has a beach if the wind is from the west at all (11am rule not in effect here I believe).

Talk to some local riders if you are getting out and they will let you know whats up. Feel free to text me if you are getting out, 780-eight three one-4607.

Weather is generally 24-28 degrees. February has seen some small storms come through in recent years that can create an overcast day or two.

backcountry
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River, Coeur d' Alene Lake
Gear: Ozone, Best

Postby backcountry » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:17 pm

I will be leaving as you are arriving. I am 180 and am brining 6,9, and 12 with 150 mako tt. Might bring directional, but not sure I want to pay oversize fee. Go to mauiwindcam. They have a cam of kanaha beach. Fun to check out.

Even if the wind is flat, surfing and SUP are great.

Enjoy

Return to “Kitesurfing”