Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The moon is half full in Cape Town again

Forum for kitesurfers
Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

The moon is half full in Cape Town again

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:21 pm

The moon is half full, shining through my window above the lights of Cape Town at midnight. I can’t sleep, I’m planning a long downwinder. Here’s how I imagine it. I’ll start at Milnerton lighthouse in front of my 10th floor flat. Maybe this Saturday if the SEaster comes in early and strong. The choice of kite will be difficult, 9m would be powered up early, but maybe too much later and I would have to bail, so probably 7m at full power to start, can be depowered later and still fly well.

The launch here is sketchy with offshore and gusty wind. I self-launch and quickly steer the kite over the water so if it hindenbergs I can re-launch from the water. Grab my surfboard and head out through the clean waves. Go a couple hundred yards offshore then gybe back, losing ground quickly to get beyond the windshadow of the golf club buildings. The waves are really clean here because the wind has not messed with them yet, so grab a couple long lines. Have to dodge the boiler from an ancient shipwreck, then on to Sunset Beach where there are already lots of windsurfers shredding the waves. A mostly Euro scene, with a few good kiters too. They like it here for the slightly offshore conditions and good waves. I usually go around them, and on to the long curve where Marine Drive hugs the beach.

The wind is side-shore here and the waves are still good, so I try some bottom turns and cutbacks, falling off a few times, body-dragging into the beach to recover my board. Then it is Dolphin Beach, perhaps the favorite kiter spot but with a tiny parking lot, so not too crowded. Kevin Langaree posted a great Kevlog on YouTube from here a week ago on a truly awesome day. I hang around a little to see if anyone I know is kiting there, but no. On to Kite Beach at the start of Bloubergstrand and Tableview, crowded by now, got to watch out for the beginners and the experts, the latter doing megaloops. I think about stopping for an icecream, but keep going. There’s a nice section after that, down past Marine Circle that is not crowded.

Then have to pass the gauntlet of Mystic House, where there are often some arrogant youngsters showing off and complaining as you ride “their” waves, but ignore them and ride on down to Doodles Restaurant where the last bunch of kiters launch. Shortly after that have to decide to get out before the rocks, or slalom around a few first. Then it’s out to sea around the rocky point to Big Bay. I love this section, which I think most downwinders think is a pain. I go far out and if the wind is relatively light I ride heelside with occasional turns to toeside, but if the wind is strong I ride straight downwind toeside with the kite in front of me, careening down the swells. Occasionally some dolphins ride along (see the previous Kevvlog!). Then the turn into Big Bay, with some big swells coming through.

I ride one in, but don’t linger here. The wind is gusty from all the buildings along this shore, and there is an old understanding that kiters will stay downwind of the windsurfers here, although the signs that say this are long gone and some kiters do ride here (and of course the King of the Air competition used to be held here). Instead I head down past the surfboard riders who are riding in place, onto the best part of the trip, where the waves are completely different from Table Bay. Here, instead of long lines that often close out, the waves form half-moon crescents. At their peak they can be double the height of the waves on Bloubergstrand, but if you time them right you can scoot right along down the line and out the other side. If they are big I will chicken out as I have gotten hammered here a few times.

Eestesteen, Derdesteen, Kreeftebaai and Kelpbaai, the fun goes by too quickly, with only a couple other downwinders for company, and I am down to Haakgat. This is the only real point break along this shore, generated by the kelp, and so the hotshot windsurfers and kiters are lining up, each taking a wave in turn. I slalom through the lineup and choose some swells further down to ride, but chicken out before they break, because the shore break is violent here in Holbaai and if I crashed I would find it hard to get back out again. This is where I usually stop, dump my kite to the safety leash on this broad beach, and catch the bus back. But this time I want to keep going. So I head back out to sea for the second time and ride around the rocky point that is the boundary to Melkbosstrand. There’s lots of kelp here far out, so I will stay well offshore, and the town generates a big windshadow, so I don’t come back in early. But eventually the waves beckon me in and I imagine riding long lines, headed towards Duynefontein.

I stop just before the fence for the Koeberg nuclear power plant, flag my kite out and pack it up. It will be a long walk up to the bus stop at the very end of the MyCiti 214 route. I will wait patiently for the bus, the driver not concerned at all about an old guy with wetsuit half off, surfboard in one hand and packed kite in the other. I sit on a step not to get a seat wet and enjoy the almost free ride back to my car. Google Maps says it is about 25 kilometers and I’ve never done the whole thing before.
Last edited by Hugh2 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Hugh2 for the post (total 3):
Sun (Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:05 am) • jumptheshark (Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:06 pm) • k2thiago (Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:02 am)
Rating: 9.09%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: The moon is half full

Postby Toby » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:57 am

I just learned that spaces are helpful for a nicer read ;-)

Good night

tkachuk
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 75 kilos
Local Beach: Squamish, Nitinat (formerly: Cherry Beach, Allanwood, Presquil)
Favorite Beaches: Presquil (Ontario), Long Bay Turks, Silver Sands Barbados, OBX, Key Biscayne Florida
Style: boosting, carving my jibes, waves on TT
Gear: CORE, Shinn

Postby tkachuk » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:42 am

Best post I have ever read on this or any other kite forum. Thanks for sharing.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:31 am

Brilliant read.
But I had to go back to the start of your post to then realise it was all a dream.
It just sounded so real and I really got dragged in so much I was sailing behind you at times.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:28 am

As somebody says:
https://genius.com/Charles-bukowski-so- ... -annotated

And it appears - this just burst unasked out of your heart and your mind!

im deeply touched!!!
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:
Hugh2 (Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:23 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:41 pm

"A midsummer's night wet dream"?? :D

Kippiis
Rare Poster
Gear: DIY kitesurf
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Kippiis » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:57 am

Wow! You are a big talent!

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:58 pm

Initially I didn't want to read it, but did.
Very nice work, thank you for writing it and sharing.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:06 pm

great read for anyone who speaks kite.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Re: The moon is half full in Cape Town again

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:59 pm

I wrote that about a month ago and the moon is nearly half full again, so today on my penultimate day in Cape Town I decided to do the entire downwinder, the longest I can do and still catch a bus back. It was a lot of fun, starting around 14:00 on 7m and strapless directional from the Milnerton lighthouse on Woodbridge Island (always a sketchy self-launch in side-off gusty conditions) and stopped for an icecream at Kite Beach. Along the way came across Kevin Langaree on a foil surfboard cruising downwind, riding a swell, then porpoising back out to the next one, Kenny Lai style, working his way down from Sunset Beach to Kite Beach. I stopped briefly at Mystic House to talk to a new Canadian friend there, then onwards to Koeberg Power Station, taking 3 hours total. The last part in Melkbosstrand was not really worth it, although there were about 20 kiters and windsurfers riding in place there, presumably for the good waves, but the conditions there are awfully gusty. I will just stop at Holbaai in future as I always have. Took about an hour and two buses to get back to my car. And to wrap it up, a sunset TT jumping session at Dolphin Beach.
Attachments
Monday 11 February 2019.jpeg
Monday 11 February 2019.jpeg (82.45 KiB) Viewed 1325 times

Return to “Kitesurfing”