Moses Fluente Onda 633
Flyboard Radical S
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Fuerteventura in March

Postby mr_wilson » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:24 pm

Hey there,
I am thinking of having a week at Fuerteventura in March. I want to take my Foil (Moses Onda) and progress my jibes. If there are some small waves - nice. I can't rent a car because of some issues with my eye sight.

So where could be a good place to stay for me?

Correlejo looks nice. I don't want to ride my new set directly into some riff. Where are good entry points?
Where should I try to get an accomodation to reach a good spot walking. Are there any kitehostels/clubs or something else, offering airport transfer or trips to other kitespots.

Wich kite sizes do I have to bring in spring (98 kg)?

It would be super nice, if you can give me some input. My friends are to busy to join the trip, so I have to cancel it, or do it alone. If you know how to do a solotrip without a car at spots wich are not to remote to kite safe, please let me know.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Fuerteventura in March

Postby Toby » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:36 am

anywhere but Sotavento! Too gusty there!

Have a look at Flag Beach.

https://se.kiteforum.com/kitesurf/spot/ ... Flag_Beach

Gunnar Biniasch, a frequent user on here, is a local there. He is also foiling.

I am sure he will reply soon with useful tips :thumb:

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:57 am

You could store your kit at the kite centre right on the beach. go online to sort that out with Ben the owner for storage and rescue.

There are hostels in town, and thousands of villa and hotel rooms within walking distance,
You can walk from there if your up to it, the hostels are maybe 40 mins walk from the launch spot on kite beach, but you can stay a bit closer if you dig around in the internet for somewhere within your budget,
some hire a push bike with sand tyres to do the trip.
but a taxi is very cheap at less than 5 euros each way.

I see many guys walking in along the main road with their kit on their back, and its not too hot at that time of the year for a good walk, but that would spoil a good session for me walking back so far with my foil kit and kite selection.

Flag beach offers up just about all conditions you can think of over a 4 week period, I go for around 9 -12 weeks each year in the off season and my most used kite is my 8 or 9mtr, often my 6mtr, but my 12mtr will get used as well, as will my 10mtr on the odd occasion.
wind is most often cross on, but can be from any direction on odd days in the cooler months, but rescue cover allows you to remain safe.
Waves are outside of the main beach area, with a good 100yard wide gap out to open sea for the foil, which is good to use to get away from the many TTips and wave board guys who block up the water space close to the beach.

Waves are there from small rolling swell to much larger sets rolling in over the many reefs close by, but mostly these can be avoided if you want to, but they are very tempting, especially when armed with the Onda foil set, but you will work your way up to the larger sets over time.

My advice for learning your foil turns is to head out through the gap and play around on the massive sea area a few hundred yards from the beach and away from the reefs.its a perfect foiling area for practice without fear of being in the way, or someone running into you.

if your only there for a week or two the need to go to other spots is reduced as Flag offers up just about all conditions, from flat to big waves, but remember its not the sort of place you can just turn up to and sail out from without taking good advice from the many local foilers who will guide you, or ask Micheal at the kite surf centre for advice before you enter the water.

There are many other foil spots to try out, but without a car it will be a pain to try to get transport to and from them, and maybe looking at what you want to do you may be better sticking to flag beach until you can sort out the transport, some spots are remote, and many are challenging with limited rescue.

if you see a bright green VW van with kitesurf logos all over it parked up at the Flag beach beach entrance, then you know Gunnar is on the water, say hello to him and ask for tips as well as to where to enter the water and for advice on kite size for the days conditions, he is the man who knows the spot the best.

I am there for 3 weeks from next Wednesday.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:32 am

Hi Foil,

Im going also about 20 - 30 february. Do we miss each other again this year? :)

t.

mr_wilson
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay Ireland, Wiek Rügen, Vorupor DK
Gear: North Neo 5, 7, 9, Flysurfer Boost 13, 18
F-One Mitu 5'10
Moses Fluente Onda 633
Flyboard Radical S
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mr_wilson » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:29 pm

Thanks for your feedback! So much input - perfect. I'll try to put everything together to make it a nice first trip to fuerte.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:26 pm

Foil is the expert on this spot.

I´ve been there one time and my memory syncs with what he says. I do remember that the entry has a rough rocky platform bottom. Its one big rock surface not loose rock. There´s a gap in it so you can body drag out.
A high tide it was easy to get just a few meters out beyond the beach break and go. ( i was on surfboard then). At low tide it was a bit sketchy- had to walk out over the rock in shallow water and drag out quicly to not get pushed onto the rock shelf.

there´s 2 bigger hotels just south of Flagbeach - you can walk 10-15 min on beach up to the center or along the road if you find that easier.

Hope to go back in winter some year soon.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:08 pm

Tenerife (El Medano) might be another option for you.
You can stay in apartments / hotels virtually on the kite beach (max 2 minutes walk).
There is no ground swell at Medano (like at Flag Beach), only smaller wind swell.
I´ve been in both places and I´d say:
Flag Beach has higher quality waves and a huge varietey of conditions you can chose when on the water. Getting into and out of the water can be a bit tricky due to the rocks mentioned and some serious shore break at times (but this depends on many conditions like swell direction, tide etc). Flag Beach is a really nice spot as such, with a really nice, natural atmosphere.
Medano has easier conditions overall but is more crowded on the water and on the beach. Medano is generally easier living without a car (my point of view), with some nice bars, restaurants etc in one single place, it is less touristic than e.g. Corralejo. And you´re in Medano from the airport in 10 minutes, it´s actually just around the corner from airport.

One big advantage of Fuerte in general: If you´re unlucky and there should be no wind (which can happen in March during one week) you still have endless opportunities to go surfing / SUPing in really good waves without localism issues and with rather easy water access. Tenerife is much more critical in every aspect here.

And, yes: Avoid Sotavento! It looks tempting from far away, but is is simply shit actually. Ultra-gusty offshore wind (with expensive rescue), loads of absolute beginners, long walking distances from storage to water etc.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
Kraken fuse 703k

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,

Postby Foil » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:19 pm

tomtom wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:32 am
Hi Foil,

Im going also about 20 - 30 February. Do we miss each other again this year? :)

t.
Yes we miss one another yet again,I fly back home on the 13th Feb.

it's my last 3 week session this winter, before I hit Lake Como for the thermal winds and the chance to use my race wings for weeks on end and miles and miles of safe clean water, chasing and racing all the foil windsurfers who just love to fall in at almost every turn is great fun, as is sailing miles down the lake at eye watering speed.

Next season I am going to flag after Christmas day for my Fuerteventura foilboarding fix as the cost to be there and get there over Christmas and new year was silly,
car hire was expensive, flights also, villa rent through the roof,
new years eve was a rip off, stupid expensive to eat as all places were bookings only, with super expensive prices, some with a drinks surcharge of 20%, Christmas day was much more affordable, La Luna restaurant right on the waters edge and Avenida restaurant a few streets back, gets my 5 star approval for food,service and value.when your there for 3 months a year then value for money is mega important.
( spaghetti bolognese for 3 euro, and a bottle of house wine for 7 euro is great value) or steak and eggs, chips and great pepper sauce at La Luna for under 8 euro is just fantastic.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kraken fuse 703k

Postby Foil » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:41 pm

Onda wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:08 pm
You can stay in apartments / hotels virtually on the kite beach (max 2 minutes walk).
There is no ground swell at Medano (like at Flag Beach), only smaller wind swell.
I´ve been in both places and I´d say:
Flag Beach has higher quality waves and a huge varietey of conditions you can chose when on the water. Getting into and out of the water can be a bit tricky due to the rocks mentioned and some serious shore break at times (but this depends on many conditions like swell direction, tide etc). Flag Beach is a really nice spot as such, with a really nice, natural atmosphere.
Medano has easier conditions overall but is more crowded on the water and on the beach. Medano is generally easier living without a car (my point of view), with some nice bars, restaurants etc in one single place, it is less touristic than e.g. Corralejo. And you´re in Medano from the airport in 10 minutes, it´s actually just around the corner from airport.

One big advantage of Fuerte in general: If you´re unlucky and there should be no wind (which can happen in March during one week) you still have endless opportunities to go surfing / SUPing in really good waves without localism issues and with rather easy water access. Tenerife is much more critical in every aspect here.

And, yes: Avoid Sotavento! It looks tempting from far away, but is is simply shit actually. Ultra-gusty offshore wind (with expensive rescue), loads of absolute beginners, long walking distances from storage to water etc.
Totally agree,
all your observations align with mine.
I have been to El Medano on Tenerife many times on my twin tip, but not my foil board.
The waves at flag along with the fantastic beach just tip the scales for me, but as you say a car is not needed at all at El Medano, and the little town is just wonderful, with the best Mojito's in the world.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:03 pm

Foil wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:41 pm
Onda wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:08 pm
as you say a car is not needed at all at El Medano, and the little town is just wonderful, with the best Mojito's in the world.
I haven't been to Fuerte yet but I have spent time in El Medano and it's probably the better choice for you, no need for a car unless you want to tour the rest of the island. The town is wonderful, very touristy but still very Spanish and old. The food is amazing and the beach is 0-10 min walk depending where you stay.

As for the kiting conditions though, they aren't amazing for surfboard. On a foil you could get away from the crowd (the launch is crazy crowded) and be just fine though.

<video>

<video>

Return to “Kitesurfing”