Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What 14-15m kite feels most like a small kite? Lightness, turning speed, but still has power for LW?

Forum for kitesurfers
TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What 14-15m kite feels most like a small kite? Lightness, turning speed, but still has power for LW?

Postby TomW » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:18 pm

Get a really light weight/LW 3 strut kite. A one strut or no-strut kite will not be good at upper end.
I had really good experiences with my Core LW kites. I had a XR2 17m that was really good.

Took up Hydrofoiling AKA one of these: and sold all my big kites.
carl-oskar-utomhus-rollator-lufthjul.jpg
carl-oskar-utomhus-rollator-lufthjul.jpg (3.11 KiB) Viewed 875 times

PinkNorthPride
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Calshot
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Mauritius
Silver Sands Barbados
Nyali Kenya
Dougs the Gorge
Style: Lawn Mowing
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: North, Maybe Core next...

Re: What 14-15m kite feels most like a small kite? Lightness, turning speed, but still has power for LW?

Postby PinkNorthPride » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:20 pm

If you can find one, the GTS3 was an awesome LW foiling kite, seen it out in conditions even foils were struggling, but the guy was a good foiler. They must be about used and being a Core and used in light wind likely still in good condition .

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:41 pm

knyfe wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:49 pm
Honest and simple answer. None!!!

Good answer on the surface, but there is more to it than that. How you fly the kite is more important.

Lots of slow reacting kites can be made to turn faster on the same bridal settings by trimming the kite to be more powered up in light winds.

Normally, in light winds, you want to depower the trim strap (shorten front lines) to avoid stalling the kite. But once you master light winds with a more "parked" kite, you should try to make the kite susceptible to stall. On almost all kites in light wind, a stalled kite will turn faster (and different). The key is to have the kite stall on the half of the kite you are turning, while the other side has attached flow over it. The concept is simply - stalled side flies backwards, attached flow side flies forwards.

There are many issues and "wrong instinctual corrections" that you must get the feel for (doing right) when flying a kite like this. But the reward is worth it. While flying static on a grassy field or wide sandy beach (no board), try first to oversheet the kite and induce a stall. Once you find the trim setting that induces a stall in light wind, focus on stalling the kite to a per-determined point in the window, then sheet out to reattach flow. This gives a boost of power from the back of the window. Once you get this concept, then move on to 1/2stall turning by using that same point on the bar throw, and turning the kite with the pulled in side of the bar below the stall point, and the let out side of the bar above the stall point.

The above is a description of the skill most of us that have flown foil kites for many years were forced to learn due to the nature of foil kites. Most "inflatable" only kiters do not have this skill as it is not completely necessary when the winds are high enough with modern fast-turning kites. Personally, I believe those without this skill are missing out on half of the potential of a kite.

That said, there are some kites that do not seem to advantageously access this 1/2stalled turn. I like Slingshot gear, but I cannot make a Rally do this. Of all the kites I have flown, all but the Rally have exhibited some performance differences that can be exploited with a 1/2stalled turn.

lightwind
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 75
Local Beach: SC Lahor, Kotor
Gear: Gong strutless 10, Gong Unik 6.8, Blade Skinny boy 5m, Gong foil M pro wing, Gong foil board 3CS 4.6, Gong Neutra V2 5 m, Gong HIPE pro 5.1

Postby lightwind » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:39 pm

I tried North Juice couple of times and could say that is quite responsive for a 15 m kite. Not hard on the the bar and still powerful enough.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:39 pm

Honestly fast turning isn't the key, what it sounds like you want is probably a a Flysurfer Soul 15m or even 12m. But you said your heart is strapless SB and the Soul will just pull you up up up off the board all day so that's not going to work.

I would say get a LF Solo 17.5m and you'll have fun.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:02 pm

Bang your 12m up with helium ;)

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:10 am

If you want a nimble kite, it just cant be that big. A 10-12m cloud or other surf kite can pretend tobe agile, until it runs out of airspeed across the canopy. Probably same for the mid aspect foil kites in 9-10m size range.

Before i took up hydrofoils i built a 5’ x 22” x ~1.5” board with a round nose and big square tail, maybe 2“ rocker in front and 1” in tail. Quad controller fins.
This with 30m lines got me going fast and upwind in 10-12 knots, and holding ground in 8-10 with a 12m cloud, or 8-10 / 6-8 knots with 17m cloud.
Its most common use though was in 12-14 knots with lulls, with 9m kite, in weaker summer sea breezes that might or might not die. I weigh ~82kg.
I called the board my “antifoil” that season. It truly worked great but I built it cheap and heavy. Now I have a sweet potato 5’6”x22” which is less efficient due to its overly sculpted bottom shape. The potato does soak up chop better though. Some time i’d like to build a lighter weight version of my antifoil.
Seen sideways, rights itself if you click through (toby?!):
Attachments
92360C92-4DBC-44BE-BD72-CE68C8DA48AE.jpeg

Return to “Kitesurfing”