2020 Liquid Force - ABSOLUTE - 140cm
2020 Liquid Force - POD 4'4 - HydroBoard
2020 Liquid Force - IMPULSE - Hydrofoil
2020 Liquid Force - MESSENGER - Surfboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Control Bar System

Postby JimmyRyder » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:31 am

Hi guys,
I would like to get some feedback from everyone who would like to comment on this topic:
(of course everyone should say WHY he/she thinks so) :)

"What would be the best choice and the most complete Control Bar System ?!"

I am thinking here on the following parameters:
- Lightest Weight => on the bar (stick)
- Size Versatility => different bar size option for use of same bar on different size kites
- Clam-Cleat => best version - like the option to move up/down on trim-rope, etc.
- Chicken-Loop => one of the most important what would be the best option

That includes:
a) what Brand has the best Control Bar System?
b) if it would be a "Home Made" control bar, which part from which brand should be used to build the perfect Control System?

(excluding the "Click Bar" which I had and didn't impress me so I sold that last month)

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Re: Control Bar System

Postby Sun » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:54 am

I posted this review at Greenhat Kiteboarding for the Eleveight CS Vary bar:
I bought this bar before taking a two week trip to Brazil. I have put 30 sessions on it with a total riding time of about 44 hours (Thanks Woo tracking!) with a 9m and 12m. I ride pretty hard, like to jump A LOT and do loops. Bar is almost like new except for some fraying on the depower rope where is interfaces with the cleat and the QR becoming a bit stickier. Overall I am happy, but wish it had some different characteristics. See comments below.

I have flown with Best Red bars which are basically North Trust bars with better lines and worse hand grips, and several generations of Ozone bars. None have met my dream of being the best bar available, but this Eleveight comes very close.

Pros:
- Very high quality flying lines. These have shown no tendency to wear. I love that Eleveight splices them as well instead of just stitching the lines. Puts the North Trust line to shame.
- Very comfy bar. Squishy grip much like modern North bars. Similar to Ozone V4. Much better than the rough Best Red bars or the Ozone V2 bars.
- Adjustable bars ends. These are like the North Trust style where you pop out and rotate an insert. Better to do on land, but I have done it once on the water with the kite sitting on a wingtip. Wish Ozone V4 and North Click bar had these.
- Depower rope wear is very good. Much better than the Best Red bars (Basically the North Trust bar in this sense). The braid is much finer, maybe this is why.
- Donkeydick is ribbed to keep it from slipping out. The Red bars had North Ironheart QRs, and those Donkeydicks sometimes slipped out of the hook.
- Line bungees are nice and have slots where they recess when not in use.
- Bar looks very user serviceable, not much super special hardware.

Average:
- Manual untwister better than Ozone V2, similar to Ironheart IV, not as nice a Ozone V4 or modern Cabrinha.
- Flag out line locks into the QR. Means that it DOES NOT spin when you use the manual untwister. If you loop a lot to one side the flag out line begins to twist. No serios issue, it just means that you have to manually untwist before/after a session, or loop the other way. North Ironheat V on Click Bar and Ozone V4 have excellent swivels to prevent this. I wish Eleveight bar had that.
- The ring on the flag out line can be used normal or suicide. Can get in the way when unhooking, but nothing more than the average setup. Similar to Ozone bars or Ironheat IV on Red/Trust bars. Ironheart V is gold standard here, wish Eleveight was like that.

Cons:
- QR is a pain to reset. Videos suggest it is easy, just insert the loop into the QR cuff, but what you fail to see is how much force is needed to do this. I am not a whimp at all, good luck to you if you are weak or tired. Ozone V4 Click-in Loop is the gold standard, North QRs are a close second. I would rate this Eleveight QR similar to the Ozone V2 in terms of difficulty. Not fun to reset.
These users thanked the author Sun for the post:
JimmyRyder (Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:05 am)
Rating: 3.03%

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Re: Control Bar System

Postby matth » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:51 am

I love the new Cab bars. Standard trimline bar is well priced around 399$. Excellent lines, excellent QR and super easy to reset, robust PU tubing( much harder to kink than previously), comfy quality bar, smooth motion between bar and PU tube, proven
clam cleat trim system for depower.

This bar has evolved over the past five years and they have nailed it, IMO.
These users thanked the author matth for the post:
JimmyRyder (Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:05 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”