PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: Predictions for Ram Airs in 2019

Postby PullStrings » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:07 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:03 am
What are you predictions for the Rams in 2019 SuperBowl ?
Trailing behind at half time 0-3
Well the Rams crashed last night............3-13
Sign of things to come for this year
PMU is definitely on to something

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby joriws » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:20 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:03 am
exciting conditions, i think you dont understand the term closed out
LEI kites usually split in half in surf wave close out what I've witnessed. Not much joy for sailing down wind hanging from wingtips after kite is splitted. And to prevent kite splitting you have ejected the LEI kite and it wave powers downwind faster than you can follow. Or if you are at kite and bridles keeping wing tips at close out, good luck with that.

Foil kite because it does not have LE bladder and *pouch* behing of that, it just floats on top of breaking waves where tube kite takes the crash hard because they concentrate wave power to middle of canopy splitting it as water on top of LE bladder disallows it to float up required speed. Sure if foil kite gets in the wave tube it will explode internally as air cannot escape fast enough.

Do you know how avalance airbags work? No, density difference and float because of that..

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:07 pm

joriws wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:20 pm
Do you know how avalance airbags work? No, density difference and float because of that..
Are those avalanche bags inflatable? Is there a video of a guy mashed in an avalanche with a paraglider attached (and paraglider being lighter would just gracefully "float" above)?

Are foil kites a choice of wave riders nowadays because they float atop of a wave?
I thought that big waves would mess up any kite, and foil kites are usually higher aspect and that's why they're not useful for waveriding.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:22 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:19 am
that is why the whole olympic thing is such a joke.. go on about affordability, youth participation,and 3rd world participation, then choose flying sleeping bags that sink in the water that few in the world can afford in the first world let alone the 3rd world.. youth forget it.
joke... ram airs.. profit margins.. niche.. sink.. fad... classist.
Olympics are money making/siphoning machine and somewhat entertainment. It'll be cool to watch bunch of people to race on outdated but "certified" equipment. I'm not sure what 3'rd world can do about participating in elitist sports. Same for youth. OC, world sailing, all the show for clueless masses has nothing to do with getting out, riding and having fun for each of us.

Let the rest of people compare length of their pen!ses - it must be fun for them.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:30 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Cloudy,

When is the last time you pumped up your tubie out in the water, in the break or not? And I am talking about your inflatable kite, not your.....
Last edited by Matteo V on Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:45 pm

And for this whole thread.....

Well let me state that I do not use foilkites on the water anymore for a lot of reasons, but none of them are because foilkites are inferior in any significant way to tubies. Tubies just suit my style better on the water and in the surf.

But the takeaway that every experienced kiter and newbie alike here who may be formulating an opinion on foilkites or tubies, is that you don't go out further than you are willing, capable, and properly attired to swim in WITH (and especially, without) EITHER TYPE OF KITE.

Since I do use foils on the snow, and did use them for a very short time on the water, I really can't understand the irrational emotion behind those on the far right (lets call them foil supremacist), and those on the far left (lets call them tubbunists).

I guess there would be a good analogy between strapless and strapped riders. Having been a strapless rider for a time, then switching back to strapped, I could really blurt out how much those strapless boards are inferior to strapped boards, and always in my way in the break - with their riders constantly falling off on the way out or getting munched by a 1m closeout and losing their board. But I just deal with it and am happy to have some diversity of style in the kitesurfing community. I can do way more, faster, and in more control without messing up the lineup 100times better than a strapless riders. But it is ok. It is not hurting me and the inconvenience is only slight, plus it adds the challenge of getting around them when they are constantly down in the surf. It is not a big deal.

But how can someone riding a foilkite possibly be annoying someone on a tubie. Given that there are so few foilkiters in the break, how could there be any negative interactions with tubie fliers to any measurable degree?

Either style of kite can be terrible, either style of kite can be great!
Last edited by Matteo V on Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:10 am

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:30 pm
longwhitecloud wrote:
Cloudy,

When is the last time you pumped up your tubie out in the water, in the break or not? And I am talking about your inflatable kite, not your.....
i am always careful to take a pump out every time i kite on my back, and a sewing machine/ bladder repair kit for all of the split in half kite sessions.

i guess at least with a flying sleeping bag you have something to sleep in afterwards, you would need a good sleep after the session in the video by the looks of things.

salt and lemon? yep.. with tequilla for breakfast, i always eat the lemon peel whole.

Iridian
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Assateague, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Mauritania
Style: Free Style
Gear: Slingshot, Crazyfly, RE, Ocean Rodeo, Liquid Force

Postby Iridian » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:28 am

I think at this point its pretty much a given that ram air kites are done.

Aluula kites are lighter, can relaunch better, more stable, more durable, better flight characteristics, more efficient.

RIP Ram Air Kites.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:54 am

Iridian wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:28 am
I think at this point its pretty much a given that ram air kites are done.

Aluula kites are lighter, can relaunch better, more stable, more durable, better flight characteristics, more efficient.

RIP Ram Air Kites.
F*ck Yeah!
oh, wait...
what would stop foil kite manufacturers use the same material in a thinner, scaled down version for the entire canopy that does not need to hold 10psi?
hmmm.... :lol:

Iridian
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dewey, Assateague, OBX
Favorite Beaches: Mauritania
Style: Free Style
Gear: Slingshot, Crazyfly, RE, Ocean Rodeo, Liquid Force

Postby Iridian » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:58 am

Diminishing Returns.

Return to “Kitesurfing”