Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kiter killed in New Zealand

Forum for kitesurfers
JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kiter killed in New Zealand

Postby JakeFarley » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:26 pm

This is so sad to hear about another accident/fatality. My deepest sympathy for the family and friends.

Boosting on the beach or upwind of the beach or other obstruction is not safe in any conditions. Why test the wind this way? Is it only to show off?

I heard of the same type of incident here on the west coast of Florida about a month ago. The kiter had just launched, boosted and got caught by a gust which dragged him toward the road and power lines. Fortunately, he was able to release the kite which hit the power lines. The bar and lines got run over by passing cars. Complete destruction of his kit, but he escaped with some cuts and bruises.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:43 am

Hugh2 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:23 pm
plummet, agree with everything except the last sentence. The redirect only works well on water where you land with the board pointed downwind and with some speed. Speed is not what you want landing on land, instead, having let the bar out to reduce lift, as you come down, at the last moment, about 5-10 feet off the ground, pull the bar all the way in to give a little lift and stall the kite, just as you would landing a parachute.
How you fly the kite is very dependant on what type of kite you have. However, many kites need some sort of flying speed to get a soft landing. There either isnt enough canopy or aoa adjustment at the bar to get a paraglider soft landing with no flying speed. Holding the kite and the zenith with the bar in might not give you that soft landing you want. As an example my 8m ozone enduro needs a fast redirect above the head and bar in just before landing to be soft. If i just hold it near the zenith and pull the bar in I land hard. Typically the smaller the canopy the more you need actively fly for a soft landing.

Side note. I've been landing kiting and jumping kites on land for 14 years. So I have spent a lot of time figuring soft slow landings on various kite sizes and types.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:57 am

f#$ that is so sad, a very small kiting community. Someone that really helped others too. RIP.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/bay-of-plenty/110 ... tness-says

Return to “Kitesurfing”