Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Large Kite that will relaunch

Forum for kitesurfers
Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Large Kite that will relaunch

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:48 pm

Donniehall14 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:07 pm
lightwind wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:58 am
I can’t remember any LEI kite that will relaunch easy in conditions like that. Try to practice lw relaunching, watch some videos, there are few ways to do that. I recomemd pulling one of the front lines (if you have low V) while holding the opposite back line to help kite turn on the side. LW relaunching is lot of work if you are in deep water because you need to create resistance and tension in the lines by working with your legs and pushing backwards.

Funny, this came up on my YouTube feed right after reading this.

Basically he is pulling the leading edge towards himself to allow the kite to lean back on its leading edge and then bringing it around to relaunch.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:40 pm

Light wind re-launch is all about your technique. Any LEI will re-launch in light wind, although some are easier than others. Practice in shallow water (but recognize that, in deep water, you'll have less apparent wind at the kite because of drift). You can always add a 5th line to most LEI's to make light wind re-launch easy (pull the 5th line until the kite rolls back, release the 5th line gradually as you pull a steering line).

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:16 pm

Anybody tried the Ocean Rodeo Flite in those conditions?

Also, try to keep your board with you. Sometimes the extra water resistance can make all the difference in light wind relaunch.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:45 pm

Basicaly all LEIs are +- same they wont relauch without resistance - so you can relaunch in shallow, not so much in deep water. LEI that relauch as long as it fly is complete BS.
LEI will deepwater relaunch reliably from 12 knots - 10 knots with strong swimmer and luck. Freeride foil kite are deepwater relaunchable from 6 knots which is another league. They relaunch with minimum resistance which is main diference. For me LEI are best kites in the AIR. But if you want easy relaunch in LW forget them

randycasburn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lee Side, Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Destin Pass
Beasley Park
Big Sabine
Favorite Beaches: Lee Side Park, Ft. Walton Beach
Beasley Park, Ft. Walton Beach
OBX Sound side
Kailua, Oahu
Kahanamoku Beach Honolulu, Oahu
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17
Ocean Rodeo Crave 12
Ocean Rodeo Crave 9
Ocean Rodeo Mako 150

Ocean Rodeo Origin Light 159
Ocean Rodeo Duke
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby randycasburn » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:49 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:16 pm
Anybody tried the Ocean Rodeo Flite in those conditions?

Also, try to keep your board with you. Sometimes the extra water resistance can make all the difference in light wind relaunch.
Yes. I fly OR Flites. A 17m Flite will relaunch in those conditions.

That said, I choose to reverse launch my 17m Flite when it is like that because it is so much easier (and doesn't require as much patience :-) ).

And, yes, I am reverse launching a 17m kite - works great.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:33 pm

Reverse launching a 17m from deep water? Got to show us a video!

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:46 pm

Donniehall14 wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:07 pm
lightwind wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:58 am
I can’t remember any LEI kite that will relaunch easy in conditions like that. Try to practice lw relaunching, watch some videos, there are few ways to do that. I recomemd pulling one of the front lines (if you have low V) while holding the opposite back line to help kite turn on the side. LW relaunching is lot of work if you are in deep water because you need to create resistance and tension in the lines by working with your legs and pushing backwards.

Funny, this came up on my YouTube feed right after reading this.

The Slingshot RPM is even better at this LW technique than any version of the Nitro I have tried it with.

BUT!

Not all kites work with this technique. I have tried my Switch bar on my Best Kahoona's and it does not work. So make sure you give this technique a go with your particular kite in shallow water before you rely on it to get you back up in deep water. And obviously, you need a bar with a "low V" to even try it.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm

Actualy you dont need LOW V bar - you can pull leash line on single flag line high Y bar like North to do same thing.

lightwind
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 75
Local Beach: SC Lahor, Kotor
Gear: Gong strutless 10, Gong Unik 6.8, Blade Skinny boy 5m, Gong foil M pro wing, Gong foil board 3CS 4.6, Gong Neutra V2 5 m, Gong HIPE pro 5.1

Postby lightwind » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:18 pm

tomtom wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm
Actualy you dont need LOW V bar - you can pull leash line on single flag line high Y bar like North to do same thing.
I agree, tried with North and it works. But with F-one for example it’s not possible.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:33 pm

tomtom wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:11 pm
Yup, you are correct, though you do not get to choose which side to use the technique on. You are locked in to using only the front line you have access to via the safety line.

My issue is that my main bars are built from North 2013's(?) layout with bright orange CL cuff release to both front lines, not a single one. Being "mid Y", I can't get to one of those lines because pulling in both (thick line up to the "y") makes a really big mess of line around me.
Last edited by Matteo V on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”