deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Large Kite that will relaunch

Postby deniska » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:34 pm

Most light wind LEIs (except maybe strutless types) will deep water relaunch from about 9kts with the right technique.
Below that - its a swim...
This is usually not an issue for TT riders as there is little fun trying to ride in those conditions anyways.
If you foil, in under 9kts your best bet is not to dunk LEI kite (go low aspect/strutless and keep them moving during lulls)
or go foil on foil as other suggested already.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:40 pm

deniska wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:34 pm
Most light wind LEIs (except maybe strutless types) will deep water relaunch from about 9kts with the right technique.
Below that - its a swim...
Just a note:

9knots in deep water is more like 7 knots in shallow water, as you are being pulled by the kite in the same direction as the wind. So be careful when establishing how low you can go with a particular kite in water where you can touch/stand on the bottom.

If you are in shallow water, and can just barely relaunch with this technique, you will likely not be able to do that in deep water.

Also, some kites will give you an "extra knot" of wind with this technique since they are better at relaunching. Some kites will cost you a knot. Some kites that are better at high wind will be better relaunching with this technique. Some kites that are geared toward light wind will take more wind to relaunch.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:57 pm

9 knots deep water - keep dreaming

maybe michael phelps can
Last edited by tomtom on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guttorm
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Favorite Beaches: El Medano, Sardinia, Rædergården, Trones, Leksdalsvatnet
Gear: Ozone R1 v4 18
Ozone Edge 17 & 19
Core XR4 11 13.5
Core XR3 9
Core Choice 3
Slingshot Glide LW
Core SLC foilboard

Postby Guttorm » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:59 pm

The Xr4 17 is a fantastic LW kite, even better than the Xr5 LW with faster flying speeds, more explosive boosting, and higher uppwind angles, it relaunches great and if you have waves it is drifting a little better to. For sure the coming Xr6 will be more like the Xr4 than the Xr5. I love it and so does my friends.
:D Guttorm

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:19 pm

In a deep-water light-wind re-launch, use your board to create more resistance/apparent wind against the kite. In a shallow-water light-wind re-launch, take a few steps backwards for the same reason.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:47 pm

The LF Solo will relaunch easily in 9 knots, comes in 15m and 17.5m and flys great.
These users thanked the author Slappysan for the post:
michaelb1 (Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:34 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

CaptainCore
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Seabrook Kent
Favorite Beaches: Nyali - Kenya
Style: Old School
Gear: Core Nexus. Fusion 4, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Gods own Core.

Postby CaptainCore » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:47 pm

The Nexus 15 and 17 are getting good traction in their LW modes, being 3 strut they're lighter than say the XR series and the Section DNA present in the design makes for drift and foiling, they also come unstuck about as well as can be expected by any tube kite in sub 8 knot weather providing as Mae says, it's not deep water and there isn't any adverse current all of which can adversly affect the relaunch of any kite.

njrider
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby njrider » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:45 am

Thanks for all the comments. I really would like to get some suggestions on what models of what kites will launch in these winds. I'm thinking OR flite 14.5???

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:52 am

all kite relauch well as soon as you add a 5th line. I had a C 16 for many years and I was the relaunch king if the wind faulted as I could navigate and flip the kite as I liked. I still added a 5th to my 17 Edge just for that reason.
if flipping is not the problem any more then it only comes down on how much water your kite holds when your cloth gets old. G

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:54 pm

njrider wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:32 am
I see lots of larger kites (12meter+) but they don't relaunch easily in lighter winds. Seems to defeat the point. Anyway, I'm looking for a decent 15m kite that flies well and will relaunch in around 8-12knots of wind - Oh..and of course is affordable(not the Core XR5 LW) Thanks
If you want a light wind inflatable with good wind range and easy relaunch, the Cabrinha Contra should be at the top of the list. It's way above decent. Yes I work for Cabrinha and that's how confident I am in this highly refined machine. The reputation is excellent.

Best riding to you and I hope you make a good choice.

Todd

Return to “Kitesurfing”