Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Predictions for Ram Airs in 2020

Forum for kitesurfers
grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Predictions for Ram Airs in 2020

Postby grigorib » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:12 am

Pump me up wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:18 am
Check out how he assembled the pads/straps on the board. That guy doesn’t have a clue about many things, does he?

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:19 am

In 2020, a few people will use the peak 4 on hydrofoil, and they'll wonder why they ever put up with their sluggish heavy inflatable.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:01 pm

I saw the first ever one in the surf this year (first one I have seen for years anywhere), a flysurfer. It soon landed in the water, half an hour later was dragged up the beach after being submerged for some time.

Luckly the rider was wearing a yellow fluro lifejacket with the neck piece and whistle to keep them safe. They really looked the part out there, you just knew to trust they knew what they were doing.. no worries there!

Outstanding.
These users thanked the author longwhitecloud for the post (total 2):
foilholio (Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:05 pm) • downunder (Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:58 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:51 pm

Souls now outnumber LEI's in our locations on most days. Almost 3 to 1 in most cases. With foiling I see more tube self rescues than with foil kites....may be the skill levels of the riders and their choices however. Self rescuing an 18 to 21 m foil kite is nasty, a 6 to 12m relatively trivial if you know what you are doing.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:07 pm

Big foils have a lot of room to fill up with water.

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:50 pm

Once you've tried a Peak4 with a surf foil everything else seems so ordinary. Sure you can drop them and they might not relaunch, but they are easy to wind up and swim in with. Easier than a self rescue with a deflated LEI kite.

However I've only ever had the 3m Peak4 in the water. It's only happened a couple of times because it's so fast coming from other kites or larger Peak4's that you need to adjust to the speed and turning but then it's bliss. Oh and once another kite took it down because the kiter said the kite was so small he didn't see it!

My 5m Peak4 has never been in the water and it's my most used kite. Not only have I not got it wet but nor has anyone else who has flown it. The other 5m Peak4 kiter at my beach hasn't got his wet either. They are just so easy to keep in the air compared to LEI kites that they inspire confidence and in really light gusty wind they are the only kite that will stay airborne. The ability to fly in 3-4 knots as claimed by Flysurfer is true. With a LEI kite you'll end up swimming at that wind speed.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:55 pm

drsurf wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:50 pm
Once you've tried a Peak4 with a surf foil everything else seems so ordinary. Sure you can drop them and they might not relaunch, but they are easy to wind up and swim in with. Easier than a self rescue with a deflated LEI kite.

However I've only ever had the 3m Peak4 in the water. It's only happened a couple of times because it's so fast coming from other kites or larger Peak4's that you need to adjust to the speed and turning but then it's bliss. Oh and once another kite took it down because the kiter said the kite was so small he didn't see it!

My 5m Peak4 has never been in the water and it's my most used kite. Not only have I not got it wet but nor has anyone else who has flown it. The other 5m Peak4 kiter at my beach hasn't got his wet either. They are just so easy to keep in the air compared to LEI kites that they inspire confidence and in really light gusty wind they are the only kite that will stay airborne. The ability to fly in 3-4 knots as claimed by Flysurfer is true. With a LEI kite you'll end up swimming at that wind speed.
yes, the LEI swimming we see are "fall out of the sky" situations. Even the small Souls are staying in the air and if you can work em and loop em then the fun continues.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:19 pm

cwood wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:55 pm
drsurf wrote:

yes, the LEI swimming we see are "fall out of the sky" situations. Even the small Souls are staying in the air and if you can work em and loop em then the fun continues.

And that situation is just like Ive described before.

Light wind is the only option for some, I understand that. Personally, so many other things to do when is light.

Used to enjoy light wind tho.

Using a Peak, first, one needs a surf conditions. Second, one should be a skilled surfer. Which 99% of Euro kiters are just not.
I recon 90% of Australian kiters are not that good kite surfers on a SB, not to mention surf HF.

Of that 10% that kite surf with a SB, only a "hand full" can do a strapless trick. Any trick.

So, what are we actually talking about?

0.9% of foil surfers overtaking the World )when LEIs cant fly)?

Nor seeing that happening, sorry.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:38 pm

drsurf wrote:

I flew 9m Peak3 with 633 Moses wing in OBX last June when everyone left water and it wasn’t the first time flying Peak but it was first time foiling with it. I had it on 30m long lines which might have been a mistake and it did stay in the air - I know I can keep it flying in 2 knots, however Peak turning speed was horrific and I’m used to fly the kite a lot while foiling. Any suggestions on line length or technique?

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:34 pm

downunder wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:19 pm

And that situation is just like Ive described before.

Light wind is the only option for some, I understand that. Personally, so many other things to do when is light.

Used to enjoy light wind tho.

Using a Peak, first, one needs a surf conditions. Second, one should be a skilled surfer. Which 99% of Euro kiters are just not.
I recon 90% of Australian kiters are not that good kite surfers on a SB, not to mention surf HF.

Of that 10% that kite surf with a SB, only a "hand full" can do a strapless trick. Any trick.

So, what are we actually talking about?

0.9% of foil surfers overtaking the World )when LEIs cant fly)?

Nor seeing that happening, sorry.
Very true. When you read this forum you could think hf surfing with Peaks is significant segment of kiting. In reality it is one of smallest, niche of the niche.

Return to “Kitesurfing”