Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Iko training cost

Postby knotwindy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:47 am

As pretty much everyone has said
It’s not that it difficult, it’s that when something goes wrong(and it will) you don’t have time to figure out what to do. It goes wrong big and fast so you need to already know what’s up. And you might still have some problems actually doing in in a timely fashion. The lessons aren’t being advised to learn how to kite but to keep you and the people around you safer.
Think of it as as the most dangers part of paragliding (launch and land) all day long. It can be surprisingly close to controlled crashes and linked recoveries. There is a reason almost everyone will tell you to learn the safety parts first and really well and practice them with someone around to fine tune them. Believe them.
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post (total 3):
FLandOBX (Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:56 am) • Toby (Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:55 am) • THOR_NADO (Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:18 am)
Rating: 9.09%

THOR_NADO
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Land of the Vikings
Gear: Non

Postby THOR_NADO » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:49 am

Very good points for taking training and the cost for the training. You have convinced me that I need training.
These users thanked the author THOR_NADO for the post:
Toby (Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:56 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:00 am

Hey Thor_Nado, I started learning in oct and nov 2018 and everyone already gave you good advice. The only thing I'd like to point out is that learning with "friends & family" ist not always good. It is not easy to put "what you need to do" into words, while you are supervising someone who is new to the kite. I also didn't want to look bad infront of my brother/friends that tried to teach me and it got frustrating for me when something didn't work.

I totally underestimated the multitasking when learning kiting. You have the kite up there, the bar in your hands/1 hand, the board in the other. It took a while to build the muscle memory so that it got easier. I took a lesson in the end, since I couldn't get the waterstart happening and I noticed how much difference a real teacher made, no disrespect to my brother/friends who tried to teach me they did amazing. Although I did prepare myself before learning with the Progression Beginner series, Youtube channels Flukes Kitesurfing and Kite-Surf-College. In the end watching all the videos didn't make a big difference, since you have to feel/experience it. The waterstart I could only make happen with a completely different approach than all the videos told me.

Enjoy the struggle learning, it's awesome!
These users thanked the author Exal for the post:
THOR_NADO (Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:58 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Jake-Skymonster
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Longniddry, Scotland
Gear: Cabrinha FX / Moto / Contra
Core GTS / XR / Nexus
Ozone Edge
Peter Lynn Swell
Brand Affiliation: www.skymonster.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby Jake-Skymonster » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:16 pm

THOR_NADO wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:49 am
Very good points for taking training and the cost for the training. You have convinced me that I need training.
It will pay for itself - works out better than paying hospital & physio costs after self-learning :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”