Saul Customs - Modified Pure 2.0
Ronix One boots
Mystic Majestic X
Manera wetsuit
Brand Affiliation: None

North/Duotone Dice 18 and 19

Postby NorwayIsCold » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:06 pm

Hi guys,

I am thinking to upgrade my gear and am looking on North Dice 2018 and Duotone Dice 2019 models. Kite sizes 9m (for looping) and 12m (freestyle). Read some reviews online and it seems that there is difference between years, although my local dealer is saying that there is not much. Wetestkites writes that Dice 2018 is not so great compared to the other years and 2019 is better for looping compared to 2018.
Has anyone used one or another or perhaps both and can share their experience?

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North/Duotone Dice 18 and 19

Postby Exal » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:55 pm

I have talked to two store riders in Australia who were using the duotone dice, they told me that they don't notice a difference. So far I heard good things about the new 2019 kites, especially the rebel and evo. I like this video here, linked it with time stamp but the whole thing is fun to watch: https://youtu.be/hsNsXGxJVCU?t=190
These users thanked the author Exal for the post:
NorwayIsCold (Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:05 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Re: North/Duotone Dice 18 and 19

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:07 pm

When we first introduced the Dice in 2014 it was a great kite in its usable windrange, but that windrange was very narrow. It had no grunt, so you needed to be well powered, but the tips would deform if it got even a little overpowered. In 2015 we added another bridle point to help stabilize the tips to increase the top end while giving it a touch of delta shape to help relaunch and increase the grunt. It helped increase the range significantly, but it was still one of the narrowest windranges in our lineup.

Every year since then we've worked on improving grunt at the low end and canopy/tip stability to increase the top end and every year we've been successful with this, so in 2019 the range is about on par with our other kites.

Specifically from 2018 to 2019 we used a dacron frame to help the kite hold its shape better. Not only does this help with canopy/tip stability increasing top end, it also helps the kite feel more solid through kiteloops and move quicker through the window for bigger jumps. We also slightly increased the profile and went slightly more delta on the shape to help boost the low-end grunt, this, along with slightly increasing the LE diameter will also help with pop/slack freestyle/wakestyle tricks, and helps the kite stay deep in the window for drifting in the waves.

All that being said, the 2018 Dice was no slouch, and I'm sure you'd be happy on either iteration... 2019 was a continued evolution with some tweaks to the 2018, not a complete revolution.

As always, I recommend demoing if possible, or feel free to hit me back here or PM with more questions.

-Dan
These users thanked the author Dan-at-Duotone for the post (total 3):
nothing2seehere (Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:27 pm) • touffegong (Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:41 am) • NorwayIsCold (Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:05 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

Return to “Kitesurfing”