Forum for kitesurfers
CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0

Help Connecting Flysurfer safety to Ozone harness

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:26 pm

I am using the Flysurfer CONNECT Control Bar with the Ozone Connect Pro Harness and could use some advise on the leash attachment.

On all of my previous harness/bar combos it was usually a metal to metal connection or at least metal to loop. For instance, every harness I've owned has had a metal D ring for leash attachment. And all of my previous kite leashes have had metal hook/carabiner attachments. So, it was a fixed connection. The full safety release was always contained within the kite leash itself and was some sort of line loop slipping through smooth metal. (ex. SS Compstick leash)

The Ozone Connect Pro harness has one leash attachment point I can find, which is a small loop below the hook. (pictured below)
The Flysurfer Control bar release is a dynemma loop of line that breaks free when you push up the safety. So, in my case this dyneema would then have to slide through the tight Ozone leash attachment point (a folded piece of ribbing) upon safety release.

I tested this and it works, but, I have found that in extreme situations (when you REALLY need the safety to work) there is sometimes so much tension on lines that if there are any folds or twists the pieces pinch tightly together and will not slide. In this situation, since I plan to use the setup for snowkiting, I feel there is an even greater risk of binding because there could be snow or ice buildup.

How would you resolve this connection to make it safer or do you think it is sufficient?
Is there some kind of aftermarket ring I can add to the harness to provide smooth metal the Flysurfer safety can slide past? I was looking for something that does not require restitching the harness leash attachment.

Thank you for any tips. Pictures of the two connection points are shown below. (along with a last minute idea)

*** As I get ready to post this I realize one solution would be to invert the Flysurfer leash shown above... ***
Then the hook carabiner (hidden under the neoprene cover) would connect to the harness, and the dyneema leash line would slide through the ring of the bar's leash line. The only problem I see there is I have now reversed my safety from a "push away" to a "pull" and it is nice to keep that standard across all kites/bars. Muscle memory and such. Thoughts?
:?:

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Help Connecting FLYSURFER safety to OZONE harness

Postby edt » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:33 pm

you are absolutely right that connector is not designed to be used with a "one piece" leash. That is a leash that stays in one piece even after you release it (like the flysufer leash shown). It's mean to be used with an ozone leash shorty leash where the two halves separate completely. I think you should just grab a loop of rope and attach an o-ring ring. The last thing you need is when you are in a panic situation to have to remember to pull your QR instead of push it. It's a mod to the harness you probably want to make no matter what because leashes don't last forever, and it prevents you from accidentally hooking up a new leash wrong a few years from now when you forget why you had your leash reversed the last time. By the way another option instead of a rope and o-ring is to buy one of those chain connectors.

Last edited by edt on Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mr-markus
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Netherlands Maasvlakte,Rockanje
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Ozone R1V3 19m,
Gin Spirit 15, Gin Spirit 12,Gin Instinct HB 10, Gin Spirit 10, Ten Velox 8m, Ten Velox 10m, Vantage Vulture 7, Moses Fluente, Crazy Fly Chill, Lieuwe Shotgun ,Flysurfer Radical 7 and lots and lots other things.
Brand Affiliation: myself

Postby mr-markus » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:34 pm

ImageAre you sure that the Ozone webbing is the leash attachment?
If you're not unhooking attach the leash to the hook. Safest place when in deathloop situation.

Cheers
Attachments
large_1874_ozone_short_leash-3.jpg
large_1874_ozone_short_leash-3.jpg (58.07 KiB) Viewed 1668 times

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:39 pm

mr-markus wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:34 pm
Are you sure that the Ozone webbing is the leash attachment?
If you're not unhooking attach the leash to the hook. Safest place when in deathloop situation.
Cheers
Markus, thanks for the reply. No, I'm not really sure but it is the only attachment I can find and edt seems to confirm that above.
I'm not unhooking, so maybe your idea is a good one. I've never leashed to the hook, though, because then I have two moving parts wearing against each other (CL and leash attachment). But maybe it's common for people based on your reply.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:41 pm

edt wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:33 pm
...By the way another option instead of a rope and o-ring is to buy one of those chain connectors.
Oh, that looks pretty good. I suspect if I go in a climbing store I can find a fixed link like that meant to take a load. Thanks for the idea.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:45 pm

I don't like attaching my leash directly to the spreader hook.

it's fine like this

but because it's so close to the spreader hook I've sometimes had it wrap like this when doing tricks

It's nice to have it attached lower down on the loop that ozone wants you to leash with, less likely to get a leash/spreader hook wrap.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Postby edt » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:46 pm

CaptainArgh wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:41 pm

Oh, that looks pretty good. I suspect if I go in a climbing store I can find a fixed link like that meant to take a load. Thanks for the idea.
nah dont go into a climbing store they will charge you $30 for a link like that. Go into a hardware store. You want the chain connector for a chain you know that you use on a tow truck, should be about $5.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotwindy » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:49 pm

The rope on the leash looks long enough to hook to the main bar behind the hook. Might keep things neater and decrease the friction of the parts rubbing/wearing?

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Re: Help Connecting Flysurfer safety to Ozone harness

Postby badgb21 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:49 pm

The leash is a one-piece unit, if I understand you correctly. The early short Ozone leashes were similar. These were soon superseded by a two-piece leash (one that doesn’t require the rope to run around anything to separate.)
(Though I see Ozone's latest leash is back to one piece, but a shorter anchor rope to run through, still not good IMHO)
Personally, I would ditch that leash and get a two piece one.
Best to push neoprene over (or make a hole in it) and get the ‘two piece’ leash attachment around the bar.
You can attach to the hook, though as already said, this can end up twisting very tight if something goes wrong. Also, someone made the point some time ago that should the hook break, you will lose kite (slight risk I suppose.)

edt is right in above post, but I'm not sure I'd trust that fabric loop on the harness.

edt
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Help Connecting Flysurfer safety to Ozone harness

Postby edt » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:58 pm

lol true true. I have ripped out all the loops on my ride engine harness so now I do this:

If you don't unhook and ride half suicide tho those attachments are probably more than strong enough.

Return to “Kitesurfing”