Style: Wave Riding and Freestyle Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters
Appletree Malus Domestica 4'11 / Luke's Leaf 4'9 / Appleflap noseless 5'1
Brand Affiliation: Appletree/Cabrinha

Re: Cape Town safety and riding convention basics

Postby peppedurso » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:48 am

Van Hunk wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:07 am
4.Rider with right hand forward on the bar has right of way. (in other words the person on the incoming tack at Blouberg has right of way)
5.Wave riders - guys and girls, when you are on a downwinder and reach a crowded section of coast, be gracious, hold your tack and adhere to point 4. Otherwise it is a mess.
Hi Van Hunk, when on a downwinder I avoid completely crowded section, it's no fun and most important you have a very high chance that some "king of the air wannabe" land on your head, despite the fact that you have priority while surfing a wave...
Hugh2 wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:51 pm
Second all of that. I don't know what happened to the guy, but on Thursday at the end of the day there was an injured kiter at Kite beach, at least his left knee and possibly his hip. Helped get him out to the ambulance. Most folks need to use a little extra care here especially at the crowded spots, and best get off the water late in the day when the wind is strongest, one is tired, and the hotshots are doing megaloops and landing with speed 100m downwind of their launch ramps.
That same day, south side of Kite beach, wind gusting up to 38 knots, a visiting rider (just arrived from airport, baggage still in the car) messed up launch (wrong line set up), kite loop, smashed badly on the ground. His friends didn't even know where hospital is. I'm still amazed by the lack of common sense of some riders and by the fact that all the injuries and death around the world in the last 6 months didn't teach any lesson...

Strekke
Frequent Poster
Gear: 2021 Cabrinha Drifters - Naish Pivot - Flysurfer Peak4 - Core Choice - Firewire Vader 5'2 - F-One Phantom
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Strekke » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:14 pm

rynhardt wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:09 am
Strekke wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:14 am
. Imo CT oceanside, with its nuking wind and massive waves, really is an experienced-only spot. Beginners just get punished by the conditions, endanger themselves and others, and take up space of those that do know what they are doing.
Everything else being equal, if you're an adult, make up your own mind and ride where you like.
I do agree that as adults, everyone has the right to make up their own mind, and ride where they like, as long as they know what they are doing and know how to respect the rules. In my opinion however, the problem is that in our sport many "adults" are arrogant and overestimate themselves, and the Cape Doctor really packs an unexpected punch. Loads of inexperienced/occasional kiters are watching all the pro's vlogs/social media and are like "whoa let's go to CT!", without fully understanding the conditions (or even the basic right of way rules, or how to ride over waves). You want to be a hero and go out without having the necessary experience and win a Darwin award? Hey, don't listen to others' advise - I'm not going to stop you and that's going to be your problem. However, (and this is where I disagree with you), if you're going to teabag accross the water without checking your surroundings and without the technique to properly hold your edge overpowered on a 10m in a 35+ knots SEer, and then fly your kite in my lines or make me abort my perfectly lined up wave/kicker, then no, you don't get to ride where you like. Because at that point, you are endangering yourself, others around you, and just getting in the way of people that do have the skills and are trying to enjoy the world class conditions that CT has to offer. And yes, we were all beginners once and we all have to learn, but CT is not the place, and there's plenty of other destinations for beginners to have fun! Dahkla, Brazil, Sri Lanka, ... But that's just my opnion :bye:

Jan:)
Frequent Poster

Postby Jan:) » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:29 pm

Van Hunk wrote:
4.Rider with right hand forward on the bar has right of way. (in other words the person on the incoming tack at Blouberg has right of way)
Its sad to see this misinformation spread even more.
There is no "right of way" at sea.
The rules you are referring to are https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... e_another)

The rider with right hand forward on the bar is the "stand-on" vessel and has to "maintain maintain her course and speed".
The other rider is the "give-way vessel" and "must take early and substantial action to keep well clear".

So no wave riding/jumping/whatever on the incoming tack unless you stay clear of everyone else.
peppedurso wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:48 am
despite the fact that you have priority while surfing a wave...
See above.
Why would you have priority? Because you want to?

If you are riding a wave or doing a downwinder for that matter, you are constantly changing your course, so it is your responsibility to make sure you do not collide with anyone else.
Its basically the opposite, everyone has priority over you - unless you stay on your course (stop riding the wave).

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:35 pm

Jan - first part right, second part wrong, very wrong
waves have their own rules and nothing to do with port/starboard, stand on/give way maritime rules.

Jan:)
Frequent Poster

Postby Jan:) » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:48 pm

knotwindy wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:35 pm
second part wrong, very wrong
waves have their own rules and nothing to do with port/starboard, stand on/give way maritime rules.
I know what you are referring to, but surf etiquette wave rules are a gentlemans agreement at best and they really can only apply when everyone (or at least a large majority) is actually riding waves.
For example at Kitebeach, a "mixed" evironment, where 70% of the riders are on twintip's jumping, they make no sense at all.

I am on a surfboard 100%, so I wish it were different ;-)
But if there is ever a collision, above COLREGs is the only rules that will apply.
These users thanked the author Jan:) for the post (total 2):
rynhardt (Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:19 am) • zloilyoha (Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:14 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Van Hunk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolphin

Postby Van Hunk » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:10 pm

Jan:) wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:29 pm
Van Hunk wrote:
Its sad to see this misinformation spread even more.
There is no "right of way" at sea.

Chief. Re point #4. This is local riding etiquette. Use it. Don’t use it.

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Postby leepasty » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:09 pm

If you are riding a wave and it is breaking behind you then under colregs you are classed as 'restricted in your ability to manoeuvre'
This is due to the fact that you are only able to go in the direction of the wave which is why riders coming out must give way.
Mostly it's common sense. If you have a double overhead wave closing out behind you how can you stop and turn around to avoid someone coming out.

If everyone would just stop and properly site assess before they go out then it would be much safer on the water and launching. It amazes me how people think they can launch a 10m kite in 35knts of wind just cause that's what the pros are using in king of the air.

Another big thing to remember is always look around you before any manouever, turning and jumping especially.
From what I've seen last few days it's only a matter of time before someone is seriously injured from being hit by a flying kiter in Table View.

I just hope everyone riding there has 3rd party insurance!

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Postby leepasty » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:23 pm

Can't seem to post this right of way poster so check the link
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 0856387075

flyingfishza
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Global mostly caribbean and south africa
Favorite Beaches: gonubie reef
Style: Wave
Gear: pivot
Brand Affiliation: Kitesurf hooks

Postby flyingfishza » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:51 pm

Oooooh FFS, apparently my comment that driving 20min north will give you all the space you need was peceived to be giving away ‘secret’ spot info, its not as if a search on this here very forum can give you a plethora of options 20mins away from the crowds.

If you cant say it in a open forum then dont say it, keep your snotty personal messages.
“locals” dont rule.
Respect does.
These users thanked the author flyingfishza for the post:
rynhardt (Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:20 am)
Rating: 3.03%

peppedurso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Sicily / Cape Town
Style: Wave Riding and Freestyle Strapless
Gear: Cabrinha Drifters
Appletree Malus Domestica 4'11 / Luke's Leaf 4'9 / Appleflap noseless 5'1
Brand Affiliation: Appletree/Cabrinha

Postby peppedurso » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:18 pm

Jan:) wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:29 pm
peppedurso wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:48 am
despite the fact that you have priority while surfing a wave...
See above.
Why would you have priority? Because you want to?

If you are riding a wave or doing a downwinder for that matter, you are constantly changing your course, so it is your responsibility to make sure you do not collide with anyone else.
Its basically the opposite, everyone has priority over you - unless you stay on your course (stop riding the wave).
Right of way it's something that any kiter should have clear in mind, something you learn between the second and the third day of course. These rules are internationally recognised and apply to any wind propelled vessel. Who's riding with right hand ahead has right of way. Who's riding a wave has right of way. Period.
Not because I say so, just because it's the rule. And if you say that in kitebeach this do not apply is like saying "in that part of the city we don't stop at stop signs and we go throw red lights". Beside being wrong is definitely dangerous.
Attachments
kitesurfing_rights_of_way.jpg
4-kitesurfing-right-of-way-rules-redshark-wave-priority-1024x827.jpg

Return to “Kitesurfing”