Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Cape Town safety and riding convention basics

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:38 pm

rynhardt wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:43 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:58 am
And please please please put your lines out properly, meaning CROSS to the wind!!!
Even better, just roll up your lines when you're not flying the kite.. :thumb:

No, not even better as that goes without saying of course one roll up the lines if in for a break.

As it does not solve the problem with a few messing it up for everybody else when rigging lines in the wrong direction at mega crowded spots where the wind comes fast and many rigging and going out/coming in :wink:

8) Peter

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:20 pm

A so-called "common sense" is mentioned here repeatedly.
There is nothing like common sense as soon as male hotshots with kites touch a beach (not to mention the water).
When waves come into play, it gets instant mayhem.
Hence my first rule is: Strictly avoid any crowded kitesurf spot. There´s always something better to do than kill yourself / having yourself killed by stupid idiots.

In case I get approached by anyone on the water, I try to keep distance at any means. Better let go 5 waves than getting in touch with something / someone...

Visiting CPT for kitesurfing in Jan/Feb is an intrinsic mistake, from my point of view.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:53 pm

Onda wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:20 pm
Snip..
Visiting CPT for kitesurfing in Jan/Feb is an intrinsic mistake, from my point of view.

I understand, each to their own, but we are many who love to be here precisely in january-february for many reasons, one being BECAUSE of the crowds and life and action that makes it great here around KOTA - it is so much fun, and plenty of space for everyone, when you use your common sense :thumb:

In contrast it will be boring to get home to empty beaches, both now when winter, but also in the summer where it is often hard to find company even at the good or big wavespots :roll:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
rynhardt (Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:32 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:01 pm

Right on Peter!

Cefirmeza
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Ceará - Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ceará, Brazil
Style: Kitefoil Wingfoil
Gear: Slingshot sst 4m, Airush Ultra 5m, brm cloud 5.5m, Peak4 4m/6m, Duotone Slick 3.5/4.5m
Sabfoil W1000,W800, Lift classic 150
Armstrong SKT3’11 25L

Postby Cefirmeza » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:47 pm

Is Cape Town suitable for foiling during march?

Since the drop on kiteble days I was thinking on bringing my foil to have more days covered.
I think I can fit a dwarfcraft and foil on my kite bag

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:10 am

Absolutely. I am very sorry I did not buy a foil board when I arrived here in November for this season. We have had a lot of not-so-windy days, and as long as the waves are not too big and you are competent, you can get out and have a great time in the bay. There are several locals, and I assume some foreigners, foiling here on light days, or in the mornings before it starts howling. And some of them are pretty bold going way out into the bay, others are good in the waves on small days, riding them in. Plus, you can foil up at Langebaan without waves to complicate things. Also this season we have commonly had gentle SW winds on days the SEaster has not blown, or come in late, and then you can go to Big Bay and ride in the "lee" of the rocks between Big Bay and Little Bay just to the south, avoiding the waves completely. The SEaster generally backs of a little in March, so yes, I would say if you can bring your foil.

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Postby robclaisse » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:46 pm

Definitely bring your foil if you want to maximise your time on the water. I've had my foil here the last 3 years and though Blouberg can be a little challenging at time, its a fun spot to foil (the last couple of days have been relatively flat so perfect for foiling).

I've been here for 2.5 months and I think there has only been one day I couldn't kite (TT, surfboard or foil) though that includes driving to Langebaan where it has been super consistent for foiling. It has been a "bad" season so far for typical Cape Town conditions, require lots of driving to get out but the foil just opens up lots more options. A big kite can also get you out more, I have 15m and have used it so much and you generally get the whole of the place to yourself :-D

Van Hunk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dolphin

Postby Van Hunk » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:24 pm

Onda wrote:

Spoken like someone who's not visited Cape Town in January and February..

Goavegas
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Grado
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Tarifa ,
Gear: Cabrinha FX 10 - 8 X-Caliber

Postby Goavegas » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:16 pm

Onda wrote:
A so-called "common sense" is mentioned here repeatedly.
There is nothing like common sense as soon as male hotshots with kites touch a beach (not to mention the water).
When waves come into play, it gets instant mayhem.
Hence my first rule is: Strictly avoid any crowded kitesurf spot. There´s always something better to do than kill yourself / having yourself killed by stupid idiots.

In case I get approached by anyone on the water, I try to keep distance at any means. Better let go 5 waves than getting in touch with something / someone...

I haven’t being at so many kites spot around the world but for what I can understand all the best spot around the world are packed when the condition are perfect.
Last year I went to CT for the first time,and I was just a bit more than an advanced beginner,but I can say that common sense will keep you out from trouble,for other’s and yourself.As my first experience I have needed help,but for what I can I have also try to help other’s in need.
Respect for other’s and for the non written but helpful rules will help the sport and the people who practice it.
CT spot’s are not forgiving places,an arrogant attitude will get you in trouble,while a respectful one will be a lot of fun.
These users thanked the author Goavegas for the post:
Hugh2 (Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:24 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”