kaioe
Rare Poster
Local Beach: capetown
Style: wave
Gear: 7m
Brand Affiliation: None

Kite for waveriding

Postby kaioe » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:00 am

Hey you guys have any recommendations for a about size 11m kite just for waveriding ...need it for indo ...I´m about 80kg

For stronger winds I have the Airusch wave 7m I like the kite in the small sizes (specially when it is really gusty) but now I´m am looking into something good drifting, not alot of cross force , quick turning ....

I am openmindet about everything other than the cabrinha drifter !!

Any thoughts on the swell? ozone reo? wow v4?

Anybody ridden the Ben Wilson kites? I heard the small sizes are amazing but the bigger sizes are not working quite that well.... I haven´t seen any on the water in Europe or Africa neighter in Indo ...

I heard the first generatios pivot was very strong (i think 2016) ...don´t know if true though....so maybe I could go with size 10 instead of 11?
Last edited by kaioe on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Kite for waveriding

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:34 am

I went recently and rode canggu in cross off (only just cross off) the wind was up and down - more lully actually - pretty tough at times as you need a bigger kite to get up through the lulls and get upwind to the waves but when you get on them you just cant slow down easily as the angles the wave pull you into the wind more. Got lucky and kited most day though. Yet to hit Sumbawa but sounds better. I'm used to big waves but jeez it can get scary heavy - some days just easy though- ask locals/watch about where the reef can such dry - don''t be tempted in, you dont want to be there.

I think any grunty/stable in the air 11m will be ok. I rode a 5th line 12m (torch) and an 11m drifter. The drifter was more useful for going back upwind but despite all the depower i still ended up going 200kmh trying to slow down sometimes on the wave.

The truth is i wanted a 12m depower kite to get back upwind, and a 9m super fast turning kite once i am on the wave.. that is the way it goes. Interested to see what people think. Most riders seemed to have a similar problem staying in perfect position with the wind direction.

Some super fun sessions though, and the surfing ... omfg! (super filthy place though compared to how it used to be unfortunately - i stuffed my ears with chemicals after each session ) Enjoy.

kaioe
Rare Poster

Postby kaioe » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:51 am

well I feel you ....I personally hate everything bigger than 7m in the waves on a surfboard ...but If you sit on the beach see this beauties rolling in and the wind is too much for surfing and not enough for a 7m at one point you just have to go and buy a bigger kite ;-)

What you mentioned is exavtly my thinking I wanna get a kite with a stong bottom end to go upwind what maybe gets me down 1 size on the kite ...so it is more fun riding the wave ....

Is the water really getting so bad ?! Well no wonder more and more hotels/rooms and all the shit getting pumped rright out !!! They should do something quick...otherwise its the same like in Thailand with these once beautiful beaches now being close!!

PS are you lifing there ? or just vacation ?

vela99
Frequent Poster
Weight: 74
Style: Wave Kitesurfing
Gear: North Neo 6, 8 & 11, Appletree Applepeeler 5 7" and Gong Lethal 5 6"

Postby vela99 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:27 pm

Hi,

I use North Neo 11m which is grunty and versatile (and you may actually be able to use a smaller size). I have been able to surf decent size waves with it and although clearly not as quick as my 8m it is quick enough. I think it is all about the kiter adapting to the lower turning speed and some technique.

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: blade AR wave

Postby alfredo68 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:40 pm

Did you tried Ultra 10m ?

kaioe
Rare Poster

Postby kaioe » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:23 pm

No I did not had the chance to trie a Ultra but it would be an option with the upside that I can use the bar I have.
Over the years I figured the same brand bar works the best..

Can you give me some more infos on the Ultra? like windrange and your weight, what board .....

I am no such a North fan eigher ...but I keep it in mind ? whats the windrange on your neo with what weight ? I assume you riding a surfboard ..

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: blade AR wave

Postby alfredo68 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:16 pm

kaioe wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:23 pm
No I did not had the chance to trie a Ultra but it would be an option with the upside that I can use the bar I have.
Over the years I figured the same brand bar works the best..

Can you give me some more infos on the Ultra? like windrange and your weight, what board .....

I am no such a North fan eigher ...but I keep it in mind ? whats the windrange on your neo with what weight ? I assume you riding a surfboard ..
Haven t tried the Ultra 10 m but i think it will be my next "big"kite ( heard its powerfull and efficin t) actualy sold my AR wave 12 ( didn t like it at all, inefficient, slow, big etc)
I love my AR wave 9 , best kite i tried yet so far, hardly use my 7
I don t think wave kites are efficient above 10 mts , too much weight, reinforcements etc

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:21 pm

I use One strut kite (Boxer) for foiling but it happens to be very good in the waves (not overpowered tho)
They have a very good low end.
I think Ultra 10 could be the ticket for you

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:15 pm

kaioe wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:00 am
Hey you guys have any recommendations for a about size 11m kite just for waveriding ...need it for indo ...I´m about 80kg

For stronger winds I have the Airusch wave 7m I like the kite in the small sizes (specially when it is really gusty) but now I´m am looking into something good drifting, not alot of cross force , quick turning ....

I am openmindet about everything other than the cabrinha drifter !!

Any thoughts on the swell? ozone reo? wow v4?

Anybody ridden the Ben Wilson kites? I heard the small sizes are amazing but the bigger sizes are not working quite that well.... I haven´t seen any on the water in Europe or Africa neighter in Indo ...

I heard the first generatios pivot was very strong (i think 2016) ...don´t know if true though....so maybe I could go with size 10 instead of 11?
I'm a bit confused by your post. Why would you reject the Drifter out of hand? My impression is that "wave kites" fall into a couple of different categories: completely dedicated wave kites ... & more all-aroundy, wave oriented free-ride kites.

I ride Best Cabos, which are very wave dedicated, as I believe the Drifter & Reo are. The Cabos are light & very fast turning, light bar pressure, can be aggressively depowered & have great top end. However, they have poor low end & are gutless for jumping. I recently bought a 11m Cabo & it is an amazing kite for lower wind wave riding. I also bought a 10m Pivot. It's a much more powerful kite than a Cabo, with impressive low end (I am suspecting it is actually bigger than advertised), great jumping ability & surprisingly fast turning. It is an outstanding do-everything kite. I definitely prefer the Cabo for actual wave riding though & I suspect other more dedicated wave kites will be the same. I am thinking that the Swell, the WOW & other kites that advertise being great all-around kites are probably less wave oriented than true dedicated wave kites.

jonnydiesel
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bantayan Is & Siargao Phillipines, Peel Estuary
Favorite Beaches: Bantayan Is,Sante Fe Siargao, Phillipines, Boggy Bay, Sandy Bay, GraveYards, Coronations, Augusta, Warnbro, Gnarloo, Avalon, Balian Indonesia, Mui Ne & Vang Tau Vietnam, Ras Sudr, Dahab
Style: Just having fun
Gear: Eleveight kites, Flysurfer Boards, Nomad 150)TT
Brand Affiliation: Exmoth Surf Centre WestOz Kiteboarding great service
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby jonnydiesel » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:23 pm

Try Eleveight WS series you will be surprised.

Return to “Kitesurfing”