Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea
Brand Affiliation: None

Wetsuit can't decide - Mystic Legend vs Rip Curl Flash Bomb

Postby Exal » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:55 pm

I ordered the Mystic Legend 5/3, Rip Curl Flash Bomb 5/3, Xcel Drylock 5/4, O'Neil Psycho Tech Fuze 5/4 in large. After consulting the interwebs and friends I had to learn that they were all big for me. The Mystic had an ok fit but in the end even I realized it was too big. So I ordered the xcel, rip curl and mystic again in medium tall. The xcel had a too big neck design for me, about O'Neil I heard not so good reports quality wise after one year of use, so it is between the legend and flash bomb now.

I really can't decide which one to pick since they both fit extremely well. The flash bomb seems to be loved by those who use it and last long but I couldn't find anything about the legend. If any of you guys have experience or advice, I'd appreciate it.

john a
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle, airstyle, freeride, snowkite
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Re: Wetsuit can't decide - Mystic Legend vs Rip Curl Flash Bomb

Postby john a » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:09 am

East one, go for the O'Neill, lightest and most stretchy!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:22 pm

Yes, this is a difficult choice. Fit is number 1. You have that sorted.
I've used rip curl flashbomb and ebomb several seasons , a 5-3 and a 3-2. I think they are really good and warm. Hold up to my mistreatment. The booties suck, don't last for kitesurf. Inside wears out.

I just bought an Xcel 6-5 drylock with integrated hood. 7mm Xcel drylock boots. Some 3mm gloves with drylock type wrist seal ( economy brand from UK) everything Extremely warm. Used 3 times in 5-4-2c . 2c today in 16-18 knots, on the water an hour and was warm even in hands, which usually freeze. I think the suit is so warm, I get away with thinner gloves. I'm really surprised I can go out and enjoy it in so cold weather.
These users thanked the author TomW for the post:
Exal (Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:47 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019

Postby Exal » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:08 pm

TomW wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:22 pm
Yes, this is a difficult choice. Fit is number 1. You have that sorted.
I've used rip curl flashbomb and ebomb several seasons , a 5-3 and a 3-2. I think they are really good and warm. Hold up to my mistreatment. The booties suck, don't last for kitesurf. Inside wears out.

I just bought an Xcel 6-5 drylock with integrated hood. 7mm Xcel drylock boots. Some 3mm gloves with drylock type wrist seal ( economy brand from UK) everything Extremely warm. Used 3 times in 5-4-2c . 2c today in 16-18 knots, on the water an hour and was warm even in hands, which usually freeze. I think the suit is so warm, I get away with thinner gloves. I'm really surprised I can go out and enjoy it in so cold weather.
Thanks Tom. I threw a coin, the rip curl won 10 to 6. Thought I'd take the one who first hits 10. The 5/4 drylock was really warm, would've been great if it fit me since it was a real bargain too. Just thinking about getting into the 6/5 and I start sweating haha. The tips about the boots are very appreciated since I had my eyes on the Xcel 7 mm boots aswell. :thumb:

romainlp
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Brittany, Fr
Favorite Beaches: Sugars Beach - Aus
Style: Freeride - Old School
Gear: Core Xr5 9m and 12m
North Neo 6m
Lieuwe Shotgun 136

Postby romainlp » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:57 pm

Hi, i have the Mystic Legend for a year now, used just one season for winter in South Australia, definitely warm enough for our temperature ;)

I really like the "Aquaflush" system, works really well to prevent "elephant legs". The only issue i had with it, most likely because the wetsuit is slightly too small for me (ordered online) is one of the seam under the zip started to tear, i just applied some neoprene repair on it and it's all good now. I might also stretch it too much when i removed it after a session..

Hope it helps, ciao.
These users thanked the author romainlp for the post:

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:56 am

Let us know which you pick and how do you end up liking it. I've been waiting on NP to come out with their 2019 line but it's been very delayed so I may need to go another brand and I have no idea where to start.

runner1
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Kilda

Postby runner1 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:02 pm

I have had both, and for an equivalent for the only reason to get the Legend is if it is (much) cheaper. They both later about the same, but the f bomb is warmer and more flexible
These users thanked the author runner1 for the post:

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:38 pm

Support the Kite brand.

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019

Postby Exal » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:58 pm

Thanks a lot guys. I am at the airport heading to cape town, will report back how the wetty did!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:34 pm

Exal wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:58 pm
Thanks a lot guys. I am at the airport heading to cape town, will report back how the wetty did!

Are you sure you wanna ride a superwarm thick winter suit in Cape Town now in high summer?

Just came back from CT yesterday, great conditions for 6-7 m2 kites most days, and often my 3/2 shorty was a bit too warm for me so many days in shorts:

I am extremely warm blooded and a bit crazy I know, but based on other riders I can still recommend a thinner or at least if thick a very used old suit for CT now, unless you are extremely sensitive to cold, or in the water mostly…
A thick full suit can be fine in the evenings yes, but extremely warm at daytimes down there :wink:

Wind was blowing from early morning some days, great :thumb:

I would take two suits, or buy a thinner one down there, if I were you and the first time to CT :roll:

Unless you have been there and have cold intolerance, as the water is not that warm, but not cold either :D

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”