Forum for kitesurfers
lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns
Brand Affiliation: None

Switch Nitro 7

Postby lewmt » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:21 pm

https://switchkites.com/products/nitro-7

Really looking forward to rider reviews on this kite. Especially if someone has a good comparison to Ozone Edge or Flysurfer Boost 2

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Re: Switch Nitro 7

Postby jyka » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:52 pm

http://forum.switchkites.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4017 heh heh "2 years of development" yeah.. how to change logos and colors ;)
Even the price of storm psycho is ~ the same http://stormkitesurfing.net/psycho-2019/
Btw, nitro spider bridle is gone? Was it just bad or only because storm didn't have it? :D

I like my nitro4s a lot and but still sad if they just copy other kites and don't do their own development.
I would buy older nitros if they were super cheap. I don't care so much about development if they could compete with prices :D Kites haven't developed much in last 10 years. Only prices are going up.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:30 pm

Yes, it looks very much same kite. Perhaps Switch could have changed the name because this kite is not a relative of earlier Nitros... But it seems also Storm has difficulties to be innovative with names :)

Kite looks good boosting kite though and prices seem to be very competitive :thumb:

Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite

Postby Alysum » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:47 am

Yeah, I'm sure they do some minor adjustments but it is pretty disappointing to just buy other designs after all the awesome Bill Hansen designs. I'm yet to see any non-Hansen Switch kites at my local.

The spider bridle was Hansen's, so logical it's gone.

hongchew
Medium Poster
Gear: airush

Postby hongchew » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:48 am

It's apparently a tough business to be in. I hope switch will be around because they offer decent kites for reasonable prices.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:18 pm

jyka wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:52 pm
http://forum.switchkites.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4017 heh heh "2 years of development" yeah.. how to change logos and colors ;)
Maybe the testing that Switch did was fed back to the Storm design team? Would still count as development and chances are that Storm don't have someone as focused on Big Air competitions as MJ so it should be a really good chance to push the handling.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:56 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:18 pm
jyka wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:52 pm
Maybe the testing that Switch did was fed back to the Storm design team? Would still count as development and chances are that Storm don't have someone as focused on Big Air competitions as MJ so it should be a really good chance to push the handling.
Don't think so. Or they were testing in secret when Bill was still working there, with his version of the N7 as good as finished...

Ah well, people seem to be fond of the Storm kites and the new Helium, so I guess this one is fine. Designer from the first F-One kites, so he knows what he's doing.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:37 pm

And it also looks like an Epic Screamer and many other kites blaa blaa blaa
Price is very good for something that goes big..
Not everyone can afford big brand kite prices..
There will always be a market for cheaper affordable gear with performance :cool2:
Attachments
20190206_013033.png

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:56 pm

Alysum wrote: Yeah, I'm sure they do some minor adjustments but it is pretty disappointing to just buy other designs after all the awesome Bill Hansen designs. I'm yet to see any non-Hansen Switch kites at my local.

The spider bridle was Hansen's, so logical it's gone.
I had the N-5 14M & 7M & all the spider bridal did was prevent wing tip wrap which was an issue on the N-4. It was a heavy beast that didn't offer up anything fun until it got into its upper 1/3rd of it's wind range. It was pretty much bullet proof though. I didn't try the N-6 even though they claimed weight reduction(I'd already bought a FS Boost 2). It seemed like most of the earlier Switch kites were built for durability & performance ran a distant 2nd. At least the type of riding I do - that was my feel for the E3's & 5's; as well as the N4's & 5's. Every rider seeks different parameters in what they like the kite to do & feel like under their own experiences.

Maybe Bill isn't the designer, maybe Switch is doing a copy/paste design on other kites....that being said - I've enjoyed the way the He-2's have performed to the E-5's. I've enjoyed the E-6's as they seem to fly really similarly to the SS Rally's which I liked, so ultimately what matters with the new N-7 to me is how the thing flies, boosts, performs in the lower 1/2 of its wind range, how it handles gusts, & overall wind range of the kite. I like to stick with businesses who give great customer service after you buy & Switch has totally delivered in that respect....as well as good pricing.

So - ultimately hoping to hear some feedback & comparisons to kites like Ozne Edge or FS Boost 2 or SS Turbine, from folks who've actually ridden them? Hopefully a few are getting out there in rider hands. Normal riders - that is. Marc could probably take a bedsheet & twine & boost it higher than most of us.

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:39 pm

Leant

Im wondering why youd compare it to 3 slow turning kites ?
Check out how much he was throwing down on red bull KOA tv.
A park and ride kite does do all that stuff easily..

Return to “Kitesurfing”