Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: South Africa first timer

Postby BernieTomic1 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:03 pm

Thanks again for the info.

I passed Scarborough, Misty Cliffs and Witsand without kiting.
Which spot should we go for if going there to kite? Anything to look out for? Which direction is advisable?
There were about 10 surfers in Scarborough when we passed, but none in Misty Cliffs or Witsand.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:05 am

If the SEaster is blowing and it is forecast to be stronger there than at Bloubergstrand you will find lots of kiters at Witsands. I have also kited Scarborough on a strong NW in the winter, but had it to myself.

BernieTomic1
Frequent Poster
Gear: XR 5
Neo
Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD

Postby BernieTomic1 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:26 pm

We unfortunately have not been blessed with wind these last two weeks.

The forecast looks excellent for Witsand in Infanta thursday, but it is southwest.
That is probably not worth driving there for?

Thanks
Bernie

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Postby Exal » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:49 pm

BernieTomic1 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:26 pm
We unfortunately have not been blessed with wind these last two weeks.

The forecast looks excellent for Witsand in Infanta thursday, but it is southwest.
That is probably not worth driving there for?

Thanks
Bernie
Check Miris blog post here: https://wakeupstoked.com/kitesurf-cape-town/

Hermanus looks INCREDIBLE for thursday with 16 to 25 knots maybe. West is supposedly the best wind direction, since the wind will be clean but offshore. I was hoping to get such a day. For Witsand you could try giving those guys here a call/message: https://www.facebook.com/witsandkite/

Enjoy and make some pictures for us if you go.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:15 pm

Westerlies are a general problem for that coast. In my opinion Hermanus is unpleasant on a straight westerly as forecast for Thursday as it is a gusty wind coming over the hills. Same for Witsand. I think Platboom in the Cape Point National Park should work with NW on Thursday, albeit not that strong. Then you can hope for SEaster on Bloubergstrand Friday and Saturday. But it seems clear the season is winding down.

Cefirmeza
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Ceará - Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ceará, Brazil
Style: Kitefoil Wingfoil
Gear: Slingshot sst 4m, Airush Ultra 5m, brm cloud 5.5m, Peak4 4m/6m, Duotone Slick 3.5/4.5m
Sabfoil W1000,W800, Lift classic 150
Armstrong SKT3’11 25L

Postby Cefirmeza » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:05 pm

Hugh2 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:15 pm
Westerlies are a general problem for that coast. In my opinion Hermanus is unpleasant on a straight westerly as forecast for Thursday as it is a gusty wind coming over the hills. Same for Witsand. I think Platboom in the Cape Point National Park should work with NW on Thursday, albeit not that strong. Then you can hope for SEaster on Bloubergstrand Friday and Saturday. But it seems clear the season is winding down.
I will arive at CT on sunday for 3 weeks hoping for some good kiteble days.
During march how often can I expect for that? What is the minimum wind forecasted for blouberg?
I will be driving driving around seeking other spots, so scarborough, misty clifs and langebahn are on the radar. Any other spots to check by?

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:38 pm

As the season weakens you will indeed need to drive around. Keep Platboom at Cape Point in mind, often the windiest spot on the Peninsula. Windalert spot at the Cape give a good indication of the conditions there. I would only drive to Witsand/Breede River, 4 hours, if there is an easterly for two days (usually after it leaves Cape Town), and stay there overnight or if into camping go up to the mountains above Heidelberg to Grootvadersbos reserve - good hikes up there and wilderness north of it if truly wanting to get away from it all. Keep Struisbaai at Cape Agulhas in mind too, it is windier than Witsand, but the same length drive and only ocean riding. If you are there that long for kiting primarily, pay attention to the conditions even further east, a drive along the Garden Route as far as Port Elizabeth or even further might be worthwhile. Use Windy to get an idea of what is happening on the entire coast, and Windalert to check sites, plus use Spots here at KiteForum to check out beaches.

mrbig
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan, Cape Town
Gear: Airush, Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Postby mrbig » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:16 am

Very little wind in the immediate vicinity of Cape Town the last few days...
However, this week we found some decent wind almost every day in Elandsbay (2h north of Cape Town along the West coast).
If you're into wave riding this can be a great spot. The swell can get huge though and on a SSW the wind is slightly onshore and less gusty than SE.
Well worth a look if you're desperate :-)

https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/elands_bay

BernieTomic1
Frequent Poster
Gear: XR 5
Neo
Cabrinha Secret weapon
Cabrinha Spade
Epic Droid
F-ONE Trax HRD

Postby BernieTomic1 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:38 am

IMG-20190301-WA0006.jpg
Hi Mr. Big, tried that but it was freaking gusty! Will go further north away from the mountain if life takes me back to the wild weskus.

mrbig
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan, Cape Town
Gear: Airush, Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Postby mrbig » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:58 am

BernieTomic1 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:38 am
IMG-20190301-WA0006.jpg

Hi Mr. Big, tried that but it was freaking gusty! Will go further north away from the mountain if life takes me back to the wild weskus.
:D
Closer to the mountain it's very gusty yes. Further down the beach, its much better BUT the swell gets HUGE there.
We're thinking of doing a downwinder this weekend from Dwarskersbos to Elandsbay while the SW is going but will have to hope for a bit more wind..
Capture.PNG

Return to “Kitesurfing”