Style: Chop/ small waves
Gear: Gin quiver
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

South Africa first timer

Postby AlexPK » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:47 am

Hi,

I was hoping someone could help. I’m off to a Cape Town with the family for a month, not to primarily Kite but to definitely get some in. I’ve been kiting for about 8 years do have a fair bit of experience but massively in my comfort zone of choppy British conditions. Does anyone have any tips for getting on the water in Cape Town? Should I be getting some intermediate lessons to get used to the area/ conditions? . I’m reluctant to turn up at the beach to kite without some good local knowledge. Also if anyone has any non affiliated school recommendations that would be great.

Cheers

Alex

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Re: South Africa first timer

Postby rynhardt » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:59 pm

I travel to Cape Town regularly. I've been kiting for about 8 years, so probably rate as a beginner/intermediate kiter.
I've not done anything special as far as getting on the water is concerned. Obviously things to do are:
* check the weather forecast
* go where other kiters go
* be respectful and
* enjoy yourself :-)

Blouberg area has many beaches and parking spots. I prefer Dolphins Beach because it's close to a hotel with a bar, plus plenty of room to travel downwind :-)
Langebaan has a nice main beach, easy parking, great vibe and restaurants close by.
Langebaan Shark bay is also very nice, there's dedicated parking close to the beach. No shops or other amenities though.

In all the cases above I've just rocked up, scoped out, rigged up and rode out. :cool2:

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:47 pm

Take with you small kites go to big bay and have a look on windy days.no particular problems or danger ,you will be with 500 kiters of every level all over the bay .park at dolphin beach hotel ,large ,safe nice also for your family.
Usually wind is strong , some gusty from sunset beach ,better towards center bay on.
If you have experience ,do not waste money on lessons .best to have proper gear

mrbig
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan, Cape Town
Gear: Airush, Cabrinha

Postby mrbig » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:45 am

I'm in Langebaan full time until the end of March - feel free to contact me when you head out this way.

If you want to kite in Blouberg area speak to the locals at the kite shops and they will give you plenty of good advice. Dont underestimate the Cape winds!

AlexPK
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Weston super mare
Favorite Beaches: Hawkers cove, Cornwall
Llangenith, Wales
Style: Chop/ small waves
Gear: Gin quiver

Postby AlexPK » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:08 pm

Thanks for everyone’s advice, really useful. I won’t be taking kit as two prams and car seats take priority apparently...not sure why! Thanks Mrbig, not sure I’ll be able to get to Langebaan but will definitely get in touch if I can.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:06 am

Just be sensible and avoid days where the Windalert forecast is for really strong, like 20 knots, which in reality means 30+. I would go to the main Bloubergstrand beach first (Dolphin beach is just upwind and fine too), because there you can talk with others to get a feel for things. And pay attention to the waves, the last few days there have been small waves, perfect for getting comfortable, but if the waves are big, be careful. Finally, while most locals and experts wait till later in the day to get going, as the wind usually ramps up then, going a little earlier will make things less windy and less crowded. The Best Kiteboarding Africa shop (Eleveight and Airush gear) is right on the beach at Kite Beach and does rentals with good advice. Ask for Lanral, the co-owner, but Shawn, Mike, Bruce or any of the other guys are fine. No need for lessons if you are a competent rider, just use common sense. Pay attention to the kite sizes others are using and their skill levels, and ask for help on the beach, most everyone is friendly, and ignore those that are not.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:51 pm

Windalert.jpeg
Windalert.jpeg (40.59 KiB) Viewed 2601 times
For example, today the WindAlert forecast for Bloubergstrand was relatively mild looking (above), but any time you see that S or SSE wind forecast on a clear sunny day, the classic SEaster will blow. So the bottom graph is the reality this afternoon at Kite Beach. I did a downwinder on 9m and TT, overpowered and big jumps, around 14:00, then another on 7m and surfboard around 16:00, and by the time I got back from that around 18:00 it was truly nuking and continues to strengthen. The only thing missing was big waves. It will be a noisy night in my 10th floor flat!
Attachments
Saturday 9 February 2019.jpeg

bri7
Medium Poster
Gear: Slingshot

Postby bri7 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:50 pm

Hugh has it down, that's an easy choice to assess conditions and have plenty of beach to play with. Always tip the car park guys. I'll be out on Wednesday :-)

bri7
Medium Poster
Gear: Slingshot

Postby bri7 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:58 pm

take your kites and rent boards. once the wind picks up I would not mix (i've done it) family time and kite time. the wind on the beach will be too much for them and it'll just piss the Mrs off.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:04 am

Board and Kite Africa is right on Kite Beach and Cabrinha is right on Big Bay, with other shops nearby Kite Beach (Naish, Duotone, etc), so it is easy to rent boards, and gives you an opportunity to try different boards each time. You should be able to pack two kites (I take 7 and 9m) but 6/8 or 8/10 depending on your weight and what kites you have, plus bar, pump, and harness into one big bag. I have a wetsuit here, but you could get a second hand one easily here (there is a large second-hand kite shop next to the Cabrinha shop at Big Bay). If you have been kiting for 8 years and are at least somewhat enthusiastic about it, you will be pissed off doing other things when the SEaster is cranking, at least in the afternoons (schedule family stuff for the mornings when the forecast is like below). There are plenty of days it does not blow, just look at the forecast for this week. We are in the middle of a five-day SEaster, but then 5 days with relatively little. Here's the Windguru forecast, again noting that the wind today through Wednesday will in fact be much like Saturday, that is, building all day to nuking by sunset.
Attachments
Windguru.jpeg

Return to “Kitesurfing”