Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

marc jacobs kota - pushed harder than anyone

forum for kitesurfers
omg
Very Frequent Poster

Re: marc jacobs kota - pushed harder than anyone

Postby omg » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:58 am

one person I would like to see riding in KOTA would be Airton Cozzolino from the strapless freestyle side. He's the most aggressive rider and goes huge in windy conditions. And also lands with great speed different kiteloops variations. As he is used to board offs, it would be nice to see how he would fair in these competitions. He also does flat threes strapless...

Check this at 0.17-0.19 move and kite position... Well, perhaps check the whole video, although it lacks a lot of big air stuff

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:36 am

plummet wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:46 am
Was marks trick impressive? yes.
Did it get high scores. I guess not.
Why? It didn't meet the main judging criteria which is height. It lacked height compared to the others.
Its no RB's fault that Mark chose to showcase a lower level technical trick in a boosting comp.
The rules are clear and well stated before the event. Riders have ample time to practice a style to suit the event rules.
It seems a weird crusade that you are on. Attempting to persuade people that a competition should be changed to suit one particular riders style.

PS. As this is the most watched kiting event on the planet I guess rb has got the recipe right.
yeah imagine him on some real gear: "boom goes the dynamite"
;-) hahah

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Extreme Toilet Stance
Gear: Cquad, Waterskis, Gojoe and Reel leash. Orange lifejacket with the neck piece and whistle.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:12 am

Would be better IMO with a judging system that rewards innovation, risk and style.

Right now it does not do that. It is too heavily weighted on height.

Without better rewards for innovation, it's taking kiteboarding on a one way trip to dullness.

kite_hh
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 9
Gear: Cabrinha, North

Postby kite_hh » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:18 pm

omg wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:58 am
one person I would like to see riding in KOTA would be Airton Cozzolino from the strapless freestyle side. He's the most aggressive rider and goes huge in windy conditions. And also lands with great speed different kiteloops variations. As he is used to board offs, it would be nice to see how he would fair in these competitions. He also does flat threes strapless...

Check this at 0.17-0.19 move and kite position... Well, perhaps check the whole video, although it lacks a lot of big air stuff

I do enjoy strapless kiting a lot, however, I have the impression the skills of it can be better shown in another competition than KOTA. Waves as kickers is not enough for excellent strapless action.

That said, I don't mind anybody entering the competition on whatever ride they want. I just wouldn't change the judging criteria to accommodate specific riding styles, but keep it to "king of the AIR.

Btw. videos like the one linked make me question even the energy used to click the link and even more the time wasted watching. No jump from the beginning to the end, no appreciation of the riders efforts, no enthusiasm in the edit. To me this video looks like random left overs put together.
Don't get me wrong, I love to see great action on film, but this just isn't a great film, even though the action is beyond any doubt!

jumptheshark
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:10 pm

Kota took kite comps to a bigger level and for a short time outran the issue at the core of twin tip kiteboarding competition and professional level riding.

Dangle.

Dangle was purged organically in freestyle by the need for ever increasing degree of difficulty. Freestyle lost its height requirement altogether, and its made a few people sore ever since.

Big air will go about it a little more slowly, but KOTA will have to recon with the same thing. Big kite loops were getting too repetitive, and taking the board off has given the comp something new while also catering to a height requirement. I tend to think KOTA will continue to evolve and we will again slowly see the natural purging of dangle. Until then, we should absolutely allow handles and whatever else riders might want to use as there will always be someone who will do something harder and get rewarded for it. At this stage, it sucks for guys like Marc. Until KOTA decides that max height is not the goal, we are in Kevin's time, where height is king, longer lines the norm, loops done below the kite and there is inevitably some dangle.

Last year was the start of the boardoff phase of KOTA. Marc ran with that but at his size he went for power and impressive kite angle over height. Makes sense for a heavy guy. Super impressive, but sadly he gets the short end of the stick... Next year, he'll be on longer lines.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko foil
GK Trix
Enduro9
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast
Been thanked: 0

Postby bragnouff » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:02 pm

Not underestimating the risk and technicality of Jesse's impressive handle pass(es), but there was definitely a dangling factor in there. With many rotations on the way down, because well... there was no other choice.
For a while, I felt transported back in time, before kiteboarders collectively decided that one ample slow controlled rotation was actually more stylish than as many rotations as possible crammed into a move.
Definitely more impressed with Marc's dynamics.
Aurelien did also multiple rotations but that was on a completely different plane, while being yanked horizontally.

Not coming back on the rules of the comp, that's what it is, and riders played by those rules and won accordingly, brilliantly. But not necessarily scoring as high on my style-o-meter (which is irrelevant)

Gonzolinho
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2050
Gear: too much

Postby Gonzolinho » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:14 pm

tautologies wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:36 am
yeah imagine him on some real gear: "boom goes the dynamite"
;-) hahah
Well, you have some money left now after Jesse and Jalou left. Make him an offer....
In my opinion Mark is underrated big time in the scene. Great guy, too.
Hope Kevin is not getting too expensive for Naish now, though.... :cool2:

Gonzolinho
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2050
Gear: too much

Postby Gonzolinho » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:25 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:10 pm
Kota took kite comps to a bigger level and for a short time outran the issue at the core of twin tip kiteboarding competition and professional level riding.

Dangle.

Dangle was purged organically in freestyle by the need for ever increasing degree of difficulty. Freestyle lost its height requirement altogether, and its made a few people sore ever since.

Big air will go about it a little more slowly, but KOTA will have to recon with the same thing. Big kite loops were getting too repetitive, and taking the board off has given the comp something new while also catering to a height requirement. I tend to think KOTA will continue to evolve and we will again slowly see the natural purging of dangle. Until then, we should absolutely allow handles and whatever else riders might want to use as there will always be someone who will do something harder and get rewarded for it. At this stage, it sucks for guys like Marc. Until KOTA decides that max height is not the goal, we are in Kevin's time, where height is king, longer lines the norm, loops done below the kite and there is inevitably some dangle.

Last year was the start of the boardoff phase of KOTA. Marc ran with that but at his size he went for power and impressive kite angle over height. Makes sense for a heavy guy. Super impressive, but sadly he gets the short end of the stick... Next year, he'll be on longer lines.
The same arguements you are counting against the KOTA format can also be placed for the Freestyle tour. It is dead (not meaning the athletes in any way. The get better and better).
Who is interested in the Wake-/Freestyle competitions any more? How many spectators? I think the whole Freestyle tour with its numerous contests are being watched by less people than one single event every year in Cape Town.
So KOTA is exactly hitting the bull´s eye.
The guys can go home now, practise for one year and come back with more height in their package - !bang! I want to see 40m of height. With mega loops. No dangle-dongle-handlepass moves even if they are radical. They can compete on the freestyle tour with that in front of 100 spectators....
These users thanked the author Gonzolinho for the post:
kite_hh (Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:45 am)
Rating: 10%

jumptheshark
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:45 pm

I'm saying evolution will continue. Freestyle might be dead, but it clearly defined the hierarchy of degree of difficulty. When all other aspects of jump are equal a board off trumps a rotation, and a handle pass trumps them both. No one is there yet. Once the guys throwing passes can match the height of the guys doing boardoffs, what you see at KOTA will shift. The boardoff at height with a loop is having a moment. Marc does by far the most stylish ones, but height is the scoring factor holding him back. Sad really, even if they were all on the same line length I doubt a big guy like that could ever match the height of the middle weights.

We are not at the end of the progression and we've been through it before. History will repeat itself, and you can bet, Once most of the top riders can do an inverted pass at height during a loop, someone on here will complain about it!
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
Donniehall14 (Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:54 am)
Rating: 10%

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:04 am

kite_hh wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:18 pm
omg wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:58 am

I do enjoy strapless kiting a lot, however, I have the impression the skills of it can be better shown in another competition than KOTA. Waves as kickers is not enough for excellent strapless action.

That said, I don't mind anybody entering the competition on whatever ride they want. I just wouldn't change the judging criteria to accommodate specific riding styles, but keep it to "king of the AIR.

Btw. videos like the one linked make me question even the energy used to click the link and even more the time wasted watching. No jump from the beginning to the end, no appreciation of the riders efforts, no enthusiasm in the edit. To me this video looks like random left overs put together.
Don't get me wrong, I love to see great action on film, but this just isn't a great film, even though the action is beyond any doubt!
sorry, I forgot to write, that one should give Airton a twintip for KOTA and see what happens. This was actually a random video because I couldn't find quickly the boogie loop other than from this video. He landed those in the latest competition of the GKA tour.

Return to “Kitesurfing”