Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Saunton Beach death

Postby Toby » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:47 pm

Knowing how it happened and speculating about possibilities can help to save someone else’s life.

Reading about Ben I am convinced he would want others to not do the same mistake like he did.

At least that’s what I wanted if it was me.

MattyM
Medium Poster
Gear: Core, F-One, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby MattyM » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:22 am

RedSky wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:34 pm
I was buggying on the Friday at Camber which is a fair bit further east but essentially the same weather system, a south-westerly that made its way eastward. 7m weather, it was gusting but nothing too exciting.
Saturday if I remember was to be a little less wild with a more westerly wind direction. WSW I think, so I did not bother going out.
I was at Camber on the Saturday. I launched my 6m and had to put it back down as I was waterskiing down the beach with the kite at 12 o'clock on full depower. In short - it was hoooning!!

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:30 am

Matty, a tip: next time it's hooning, don''t put your kite at 12. Keep it low, as low as nine or three, or even lower. Far safer.

Regards, Or6

james
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: My own
Brand Affiliation: My own

Postby james » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:46 pm

Camber and it’s wind is utterly irrelevant

I was kiting at Portland on a 9 and 12 as were approximately 20 others in 18-35 kts

Portland is a damn sight closer than camber to north Devon

Commenting on established facts is one thing, speculation is one step from gossip.

People being killed shouldn’t be subject to gossip.
These users thanked the author james for the post (total 4):
SonnyRider (Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:46 pm) • ScoopZ (Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:37 pm) • windsuks (Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:16 pm) • Peter_Frank (Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:32 pm)
Rating: 12.12%

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:51 pm

From my experience, observing local cases, at least 50% of them are result of some underlying medical condition and not reckless behavior.
We had a lady who had stroke on the water (she survived); a beginner who presumably had heart attack and , recently, a wind surfer (very experienced) who was in pretty poor health but decided to go anyway.. I am pretty sure he knew the possible outcome just did not care to die on a hospital bed.
These things happen to occur on high wind days but not for reasons that others stated.. It's just people don't want to miss good wind even if they don't feel 100% well and you get more Adrenalin pumping during those sessions so more chance to burn some fuses inside :-(
no clue what happened in this particular case..
very sad story, indeed.
These users thanked the author deniska for the post (total 2):
sonny2727 (Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:10 pm) • pj sofine (Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:53 am)
Rating: 6.06%

barrybarryr
Rare Poster

Postby barrybarryr » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:25 pm

james wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:46 pm

I was kiting at Portland on a 9 and 12 as were approximately 20 others in 18-35 kts

Commenting on established facts is one thing, speculation is one step from gossip.

I know someone who was in the water at Saunton between 9am and 10:30am that day. He spoke to the guy and his girlfriend as he came off the beach and they were heading onto it, but he'd left before the accident took place at 11am.

He was on a 7m with a surfboard but said very big squalls were coming through.

RedSky
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Camber
Gear: 8m Genetirx Hydra, 6m Slingshot RPX, 5m Switchblade

Postby RedSky » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:03 am

james wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:46 pm

Well I wasn't speculating, but simply responding to a request for weather information, and in the absence of any forthcoming submitted my own. I thought it relevant enough to give people a more general idea as to the kinda weather experienced by the south of the country over that weekend. An Atlantic front moved eastward over the country bringing with it high winds and strong gusts and it looks like Devon was also affected, albeit to a lesser degree.
The poor guy could have died from natural causes for all I know. I'm sure nobody here is assuming anything.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:31 pm

or6 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:30 am
Matty, a tip: next time it's hooning, don''t put your kite at 12. Keep it low, as low as nine or three, or even lower. Far safer.

Regards, Or6
+1. Had to help land a guy who was out on a small kite but was being lofted as he walked backwards up the beach. He was coming in anyway because his board leash (on a twin tip) had fallen off but I still couldn't really understand why he wasn't keeping his kite low. Fortunately no big gusts came through so it didn't end with a problem but I was surprised that he didn't change behaviour after the first time his feet were pulled into the air (by pulling QR if he didn't know what else to do)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:58 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:31 pm
or6 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:30 am

Regards, Or6
+1. Had to help land a guy who was out on a small kite but was being lofted as he walked backwards up the beach. He was coming in anyway because his board leash (on a twin tip) had fallen off but I still couldn't really understand why he wasn't keeping his kite low. Fortunately no big gusts came through so it didn't end with a problem but I was surprised that he didn't change behaviour after the first time his feet were pulled into the air (by pulling QR if he didn't know what else to do)
Because they don’t know and no one told them.

Who to blame? IKO? Or people being ignorant towards safety?
Very sure people on kiteforum know more about safety than people who just read magazines.
Why? Because we talk about things that happen and how to learn from it!
These users thanked the author Toby for the post (total 2):
Beardytello (Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:41 pm) • iriejohn (Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:44 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:14 pm

I don't know if you can blame IKO. I am self-taught, no idea what the IKO method teaches.

My son has had two lessons now, third one still to come...that will be 10 hours on the water.
So even if he's taught not too keep his kite at 12...is he going to remember? In a ten hour course, there's a lot to take in. You can't remember everything. So, a lot of our best practices come from (bad) experience, from teaching each other on the beach. I always gladly dispense some advice, if somebody asks for it, or if somebody is doing something rather dangerous.

Regards, or6
These users thanked the author or6 for the post:
bigtone667 (Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:35 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”