Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ultra v2 what size after 12m and 9m for wave/foil?

Forum for kitesurfers
roninXpl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sopot, Poland
Gear: Core XR5 11m+9m, XR4 7m, Sensor 2S Pro, Carved Imperator VI, NHP Carbon Split, Airush Ultra II 12m, FS Speed2 13m.
Brand Affiliation: None

Ultra v2 what size after 12m and 9m for wave/foil?

Postby roninXpl » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:13 am

I’m using Ultra v2 12m and 9m for foiling and love it.
I wanted do start riding wave on directional with it (I never tried, went to strapless foiling from TT).
Is it worth going with smaller Ultras and what size to get? It’s either 6+4 or 7+5.
So far whet it was nuking I was doing big air on 7m XR5 and TT.
Other kites I’d consider is Airush Wave or Core Section.

alfredo68
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Style: wave
Gear: blade AR wave

Re: Ultra v2 what size after 12m and 9m for wave/foil?

Postby alfredo68 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:24 am

Airush wave 9 mts it s a must for surfing or strappless. Best kite i ve had and tried till now. Sold my AR wave 12, big and slow and planning to replace it by Ultra 10 ( thought about the Ultra 12 but seems to powerfull)
I only do strappless and surf tho.
Get a wave 9, 8, or 7
These users thanked the author alfredo68 for the post:
roninXpl (Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:46 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Youtch
Frequent Poster

Postby Youtch » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:18 pm

How is the ultra 10m doing compared to 9m?

I m very interested in this kite to get rid of my 12m while foiling.

Seabizzle
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Woodmans point, Leighton, Cottesloe, Scarborough
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui, Augusta Western Australia, Lancelin Western Australia
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: BWS Noise pro 10m, BWS noise classic 6m, Naish Fly 17m, Wainman Gambler 5'10"(R.I.P.) North Pro series 6'2, unidentified twin tip
Has thanked: 0

Postby Seabizzle » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:38 pm

roninXpl wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:13 am
I’m using Ultra v2 12m and 9m for foiling and love it.
I wanted do start riding wave on directional with it (I never tried, went to strapless foiling from TT).
Is it worth going with smaller Ultras and what size to get? It’s either 6+4 or 7+5.
So far whet it was nuking I was doing big air on 7m XR5 and TT.
Other kites I’d consider is Airush Wave or Core Section.
Hi I currently ride 5+7m airush wave and 9m ultra 80% strapless surf and 20% foiling, I have also ridden the ultra 5m quite a bit.

The wave has a much better top end and is much more precise/ faster turning. I like to have it in the smaller sizes because I do quite a lot of sessions in high winds on a surfboard. The wave is a better dedicated wave kite and also works great for foiling.

The ultra obviously has much better low end and is way better for foiling. Foiling on the 5m was really dreamy. The wave drifts really well but the ultra drift is next level especially when foiling. The ultra can be really magic in the waves and its the best kite for cross offshore good waveconditions however it can be a handful in its top end on a surfboard. The ultra has great upwind, forward speed and drift so for foiling its far better than the wave.

So I guess the main choice depends on whether you surf more or foil more.

As far as wind ranges the 5m ultra has a very similar wind range to the 7m wave infact the 7m wave is easier to handle in higher winds on a surfboard. Low end on both is pretty close.

If your looking at sizing on the ultra don't expect a 5m ultra to be comfortable at 30 knots on either a foil or surfboard. If you need the real top end then you will want a 4m, as far as choosing between a 6 or 7m ultra either of them will have great wind range so it mostly comes down to local conditions and rider weight ( for reference I am 100kg 6'3/190cm riding bigger efficient surfboards and zeeko spitfire xlw foil)
These users thanked the author Seabizzle for the post:
roninXpl (Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:46 pm)

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:11 pm

Completely agree with Seabizzle.

The Ultra is good on a SB, but not as good as the Wave. The Wave is good with a foil board, but, not as good as the Ultra.

When the wind is light, you want the Ultra.
It generates so much power via apparent wind, it will blow your mind. And upwind capability is eye opening for an lei. They are good for light winds on a quad SB.

The Ultra's have more low end, but not as good a top end as the Wave.

You needs are completely different if you're going to get into SB or foiling over your TT experience.

I'm 97kgs and am still learning to foil. I started using my 10m Wave, but when I got a 10m Ultra is was so much better.

The 7m Ultra has fantastic low end, last time I used it, the wind was dropping to 16mph and I was doing just fine. Once it dropped to sub that I couldn't get going.

I've used the 10m Ultra in 10mph average in flat water, add about 3 more for choppy/wave water.
I mostly foil in choppy conditions, sometimes I'm lucky and can get to a flat water spot, but it's rare

I have a 7m Wave and absolutely love that in 30+ on a SB.

The drift on the Ultra is better because it's lighter than the Wave.

My GF rides Diamonds, one day I was on the 10m Ultra TT'ing and she was on her 12m Diamond, we swapped over, just to see. They had a similar power, it was surprising.
These users thanked the author SonnyRider for the post:
roninXpl (Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:30 pm)

Youtch
Frequent Poster

Postby Youtch » Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:19 pm

Many thanks for your feedback on the 10m!

Have you had any chance to compare the 10m with the 9m, ultra?

Is the 10m still fast turning? They are supposed to have different profile!

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:22 pm

No, not tried a 9m.

The 10 is fast enough, Not as fast as a Wave, but you don't want it to be.

It works well with a SB, but is better matched with a foilboard.

If you're going to be mostly SB, with a bit of foiling and a little TT, then get the Wave. If you're going to mostly foil, with a lot of SB and a little TT, then get an Ultra. IMO
But, if you want low end, get the Ultra, if you want top end get the Wave.

Clear as mud? :-)

I'll be keeping the Waves AND the Ultra's because each one has it's merits for each discipline.

Return to “Kitesurfing”