Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cabrinha Tronic good twin tip for knee injury?

Forum for kitesurfers
ChadAP
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Daytona Beach, Ponce Inlet, Ormond Beach
Favorite Beaches: Daytona Beach, Pensacola Beach, Clearwater
Style: Still finding it, fascinated by big air
Gear: Wainman Boss, Dakine Harness, still building up the rest
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Cabrinha Tronic good twin tip for knee injury?

Postby ChadAP » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:16 am

I have an opportunity to pick up a Cabrinha tronic complete with upgraded foot pads and handle for 33% off. I have a knee injury that has been bothering me for over a year now. It only hurts when the weather changes, but my patella moves around a lot and makes going down stairs a bit treacherous. I have an elastic sleeve and a brace to wear when kiting. I like the flexibility of the board and the channels to smooth out the chop, and I've seen plenty of others kiting in knee braces as well.

Would this be a good twin tip for a knee injury, or should I look for a stiffer/more flexible board?

Thanks! :D

jms
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Botany Bay, Sydney
Gear: Ozone, CrazyFly, Switch
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha Tronic good twin tip for knee injury?

Postby jms » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:28 am

I've only had two twin tips, with the tronic being my second, so take this with a grain of salt...

Yes - as far as twin tips go, the tronic should be nice on knees. It has a ton of rocker, and a rounded shape, which smooth out the ride. I was happier going through chop when I bought mine compared to my previous board. The only caveat is that it's power hungry, so depending on your style you may need a bigger (and heavier) board than you are used to.

I've also recently started playing with strapless surfboards, and that style is way easier on the knees than my usual TT boosting session. Probably not much fun though unless you can get into the surf :)
These users thanked the author jms for the post:
ChadAP (Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:39 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:41 am

Yep, agree with this.
My knee hurts if I kite a lot, so I sought more rockered boards. Have to say whilst better on the knee especially through chop, I missed a flatter harder board.
So I have much fewer sessions, but on a flatter board I enjoy more.

jms wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:28 am
I've only had two twin tips, with the tronic being my second, so take this with a grain of salt...

Yes - as far as twin tips go, the tronic should be nice on knees. It has a ton of rocker, and a rounded shape, which smooth out the ride. I was happier going through chop when I bought mine compared to my previous board. The only caveat is that it's power hungry, so depending on your style you may need a bigger (and heavier) board than you are used to.

I've also recently started playing with strapless surfboards, and that style is way easier on the knees than my usual TT boosting session. Probably not much fun though unless you can get into the surf :)
These users thanked the author badgb21 for the post:
ChadAP (Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:40 pm)

Jwoo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: casalava@puntapequeña.
Favorite Beaches: Uncrowded ones
Style: Strapless surf
Gear: Duotone Neo, Firewire, Appletree

Postby Jwoo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:32 pm

My wife rides a Tronic. She says it cuts through chop very well. She had a Mako, which is also a good board for cutting through chop, but she likes the overall performance of the Tronic much better.
These users thanked the author Jwoo for the post (total 2):
ChadAP (Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:44 pm) • funkwave (Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:22 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:39 am

Jwoo wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:32 pm
My wife rides a Tronic. She says it cuts through chop very well. She had a Mako, which is also a good board for cutting through chop, but she likes the overall performance of the Tronic much better.
I'm sort of the opposite here. I like the Tronic, but I like the Mako a lot more. I agree that both of these boards are really good at smoothing out chop and making a more gentle ride for your knees. I think that if that doesn't make enough difference for you, you may be off to strapless surfboard-land. OR foiling, which is like gliding on a floaty, buttery cloud. :lol:

SENDIT!

greginkw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: St Augustine and Matanzas inlet Florida.
Smathers beach Key West.
Gear: Everything I can get my hands on.
Brand Affiliation: Airush, F-One, Ozone, Slingshot, Cabrinha, Caution and Wainman.
Axis, Crazy Fly.
Has thanked: 0

Postby greginkw » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:23 pm

The Tronic is an amazing board, I rode the 142 cm for almost 3 years in choppy water and waves, and loved it. The slightly rounded tips really help prevent the edge catching in the chop and also gave it a really smooth ride which made it a lot easier on my knees.
These users thanked the author greginkw for the post:
ChadAP (Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:25 pm)

ChadAP
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Daytona Beach, Ponce Inlet, Ormond Beach
Favorite Beaches: Daytona Beach, Pensacola Beach, Clearwater
Style: Still finding it, fascinated by big air
Gear: Wainman Boss, Dakine Harness, still building up the rest
Been thanked: 0

Postby ChadAP » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:28 pm

SENDIT! wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:39 am

I'm sort of the opposite here. I like the Tronic, but I like the Mako a lot more. I agree that both of these boards are really good at smoothing out chop and making a more gentle ride for your knees. I think that if that doesn't make enough difference for you, you may be off to strapless surfboard-land. OR foiling, which is like gliding on a floaty, buttery cloud. :lol:

SENDIT!
I'm too new to try foiling just yet, but just because I'm curious, I have plans on seeing how well my 6'2" fish board tows behind a kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”