knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Unintended suicide mode on Core sensor 2+ bars

Postby knotwindy » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:26 am

It’s been said before but quit dicken’ around and get a bar that works. Every time.... Every time.
+1 on the Ozone bar. Works. Does exactly what it’s supposed to do for me. No more, no less. Best thing I can say about it is I never notice it. and the qr has worked flawlessly the twice I needed it. Also, as an aside easy reset and great lines.
These users thanked the author knotwindy for the post:
deniska (Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:51 am)
Rating: 3.03%

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:48 am

zerogee_ca wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:53 am
Trying to understand what happened here since I have never seen this happen with any Core bar before. I have to think that this is just a freak occurrence due to the position of the chicken dick pressing against the line?? 😬 It's an unusual sight. Don't do that again.

Never had any sand issues with Core bars. Once the kite was down. Did the stopper dislodge and line move freely? Did you fix the chicken dick before continuing?

During an assisted launch, it's very common for either the pilot starting too far upwind of the kite and /or the launch assistant starting too far downwind of the pilot. Placing the kite in a hot launch scenario where the kite tries to kill you. The kite behavior looks just like the kite in this video. I still see this happening all the time everywhere, from even the most experienced people. I will not pick up a kite unless the pilot is slightly downwind of it first. Even more critical in strong, gusty winds where the edge of the wind window is changing.
dude, common!
did you read the whole thread?
it was a botched launch... the helper did not do his thing.. while I was not paying attention..I was not ready for the launch... you can see it on the freaking video... I was caught off guard for a second.. it's not about that.. it's about the freaking thing getting suicidal while no one ordered it...it was supposed to flag... It does not happen with just any bar.. It would not happen with the old core bars neither.. if you dont see it... look again...
I am not here to argue, just to warn....
My pretty long experience with CORE bars was not great.. broken a-half bars, multiple malfunctions leading to crazy scenarios (most reported on this forum, if you care to search)...
You wanna be a CORE fan - cool.. I am too.. for the kites!.. but the stupid bar is awful... no doubt about it...
if you just mow the lawn in pristine mild conditions - this post does not apply to you... we are talking cold and wild here... it's not the same to your usual game.. cheers

deniska
Very Frequent Poster

Postby deniska » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:24 am

ok so a lot of people here don't think that I know how to maintain my bars...I exaggerate.. I am a kook..
here is 2 photos from my kiting session from 2015.. my bar divided in 2 on a high jump (hard landing and shit):
11149303_1002432836435860_6283635180731812013_n.jpg
I borrow a bar from a friend and 15 minutes later:
11149615_1002603953085415_6385105862907204932_o.jpg
fast forward to 2019.. many more cases like that (can post hem all.. just need to search) with most recent 3 months ago:

got a new bar since that.. same result...
so every time some one tells me it does not fucking happen to them I get upset :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:56 am

I'm sorry but I see a bunch of human error and not really a mechanical error here. Both you and your launcher are at fault. I am no fan of the core bar because of the release. All so any bar can fail to flag out when needed for many reasons that is why we have full release from the kite.

If you keep having problems with the bar and are unhappy with but keep going back to them then you are a special kind of stupid.

All so learn to tune your bar. You can't tell me you know how to maintain a bar if it flies past the zenith on it's own with no input because your lines are uneven. Your lucky you did not get lofted and seriously hurt or hurt someone down wind of you.
These users thanked the author TheJoe for the post:
Exal (Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:52 am)

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:28 am

So you jumped and landed hard...isn’t that what a kook does?

Sorry, had to post that...it was too good to not use that 😉

Some people keep breaking boards...while the same board others keep riding for years...

Things just happen. But everytime something happens and nothing happens to you be happy!

But I think Core had a problem with breaking bars some time ago...I don’t know how warranty was handled?

deniska
Very Frequent Poster

Postby deniska » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:28 pm

Toby wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:28 am
So you jumped and landed hard...isn’t that what a kook does?

not sure if you refer to root post or the follow up (40kt+) video... but on both
It's not me jumping. It's my friend Andrey.. I am pretty sure you met him in Florida (him and Ivy, kite cartoon.. as she did sketches of you)
He is an IKO instructor with about 10 years of teaching experience.. and he can probably do a few tricks that you can't.. like a handle pass on a good jump.
but yeah.. looking at all the comments I just realized that all of our problems with CORE bars are just because we are all kooks
or maybe you refer to my instagram link? try landing a jump soft with just 2 steering lines, man!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:41 pm

here is 2 photos from my kiting session from 2015.. my bar divided in 2 on a high jump (hard landing and shit):
:roll:

I am a kook too, I don’t do handle passes 🤓

deniska
Very Frequent Poster

Postby deniska » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:49 pm

TheJoe wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:56 am
If you keep having problems with the bar and are unhappy with but keep going back to them then you are a special kind of stupid.

All so learn to tune your bar. You can't tell me you know how to maintain a bar if it flies past the zenith on it's own with no input because your lines are uneven. Your lucky you did not get lofted and seriously hurt or hurt someone down wind of you.
thank you, guru
bar lines you say? well they are even on this new bar.. one good thing about core lines they don't stretch/shrink unevenly that much.
The kite drifts a bit because I always loop it one way. so there is some canopy or bridles stretching that leads to that.. frankly I dont care enough to fix it..
and not all bars jam.. there are easy ways to avoid this at design time.. all have been discussed already.. but you can't be bothered to read, i guess..

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:01 pm

Have not used a Core Bar, so this thread got me Googling them and yes the do look rather cluttered in the chicken loop.
I get your point that stiff PU tubing would be a factor in the set of circumstances that occurred with your launch.
Do you think the position of the donkey dick and a closed chicken loop was the main reason the kite would not flag? Have you been able to replicate this, just experimenting with the bar at home?

Even on a warm day I'd need to be convinced there is enough 'space' for the flagging line to work with a closed or open chicken loop.
Why is the stopper on the bottom of the flagging line so bulky?

Despite the forum warriors giving you lots of 'advice', thanks for sharing, it may help others avoid a very serious situation.

P.S. we are on page 5 and we haven't had the 'forum guru' chime in yet! There's still time.....................
These users thanked the author badgb21 for the post:
deniska (Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:51 pm)

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:06 pm

deniska wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:48 am
it's about the freaking thing getting suicidal while no one ordered it...it was supposed to flag
Agree...freak accident due to the Core white stopper that holds the ring leash...combined with the cold temp that stiffened up the PU tube that's it's attached to
Both sides of stopper are "flat" instead of 'round' so it got stuck suicidal
Yes older bars had thick rope that went through the stopper so cold weather did not matter....it remained flexible

Return to “Kitesurfing”